Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

9 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Now imagine having an infant daughter who loves that song more than just about anything on earth. 

(It's actually been a great way for her to engage in Nats fandom without having the slightest idea what baseball is.) 

I’m coaching my son’s 4-5 year old Tball team (fall league). We are, naturally, the Nationals. While I haven’t gone so far as to introduce baby shark to the whole team, I’ve gotten my son to do the baby shark finger motion when he gets a hit. He gets a kick out of it. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Are the Nats overachievers this year? I thought I read that people expected them to have a down year. Heck of a turnaround in any case given how bad a start they had.

I think there were uncertainties to start the season to be sure.  But yeah, an amazing turn around.

Today was glorious. 

I went to the game. Ended up sitting next to an unbelievably obnoxious baby boomer Indians fan. I say fan, but she was so ****ing negative I think she both roots for and hates the Indians.  She claimed to work for the club but she said some questionable things like Francisco Lindor (who she evidently hates) is demanding $36 million (timeframe not specified).  It was strange, but the point is this person was miserable. 

What the doctor ordered was a 9 running inning during which I could do the baby shark in her ****ing face, cheerily explain to her the baby shark phenomenon after she annoyingly demanded an explanation, and then have the Nats ultimately win. 

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

Are the Nats overachievers this year? I thought I read that people expected them to have a down year. Heck of a turnaround in any case given how bad a start they had.

I think they did what people thought they would do before the season started, they just took a weird path to it. 

I think 90 wins was roughly the expectation. It’s odd to be the worst team in baseball for a month and a half, then be basically the best team in baseball for the rest of the season, but thats what happened and it worked out to be 90ish wins. 

3 hours ago, -JB- said:

Only one team has ever had a worse 50 game start than the Nationals (19-31) & made the playoffs.  The 2005 Astros started 18-32 and got in as Wild Card.  Ended up making it to the WS & getting swept by the White Sox. 

I gotta check, but I'm pretty sure the Marlins started 20-30 and won the whole thing as a wild card.

Edit - I was close. In 2003 Marlins started 19-29 and won it all. I remember there being a huge media conversation about consecutive years of a team being ten games under at that point and making it to the WS. Those Astros were part of that trend.

Edited by Metalhead
  • Like 2

On 9/21/2019 at 8:41 PM, mammajamma said:

They're 15-2 in their last 17. I'd say that's pretty hot. And ya their schedule is easy, but it doesn't get any harder for them. And it does for us. I'd bet $ they end up wc #1

I know I'm late in seeing this, but I wish I had taken that bet.  Hopefully we're able to stay hot and keep it going today and on Tuesday.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Burgold said:

Ehh, not really. A lot of the pundits still had us winning or contending for the division.

My preseason prediction was 92 wins, so I was basically spot on, but I thought that'd be enough to win the division.

Went to the game today. For a game with no meaning and backups being put in often, the crowd was super into it. Michael A's hit. Parra staying hot. Barrett's rough but complete inning was the biggest for the crowd. 

Tuesday is huge. Losing would be heartbreaking. But the turn-around this season has been amazing. 

13 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Woodruff did well against us in May (6 innings, 1 ER, 4 hits, 9K), but he faced a bunch of backups. No Turner, Soto, Kendrick, or Suzuki. Rendon went 0-3 with 2 Ks. I expect the starters to do a whole lot better than that.

Max did similar against the Brewers in May (no Braun, no Cain). 6 innings, 1 ER, 6 hits, 10K.

I am nervous.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, skinswillwin06 said:

Woodruff did well against us in May (6 innings, 1 ER, 4 hits, 9K), but he faced a bunch of backups. No Turner, Soto, Kendrick, or Suzuki. Rendon went 0-3 with 2 Ks. I expect the starters to do a whole lot better than that.

Max did similar against the Brewers in May (no Braun, no Cain). 6 innings, 1 ER, 6 hits, 10K.

I am nervous.

We gotta circle Moustakas as the guy we can't let beat us. Irc, he killed us every series against MIL this year. Hit like .600 it felt like.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

We gotta circle Moustakas as the guy we can't let beat us. Irc, he killed us every series against MIL this year. Hit like .600 it felt like.

Brandon Woodruff vs. the Nats for his career:

4 G 2-0 18.2 IP 0.96 ERA 11 H 2 ER 2 BB 23Ks.

This is going to give me more grey hair...