Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

Damn the Nats have really turned it around, not the biggest baseball guy but I’ve followed a bunch this season. I feel like they’ve played the Marlins a lot and have always beat them. Turner is my boy. Let’s get this bread 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Bacon said:

Second place. Tied for the first wildcard.

Happy 4th!

I can't imagine Philly continues like this. They'll get hot again at some point. The break might be coming at the perfect time for them with a series against the Mets beforehand.

Would like to see Rizzo make a splash over the break and get us bullpen help sooner, even if we have to pay a premium for it this far out from the trade deadline. 

We’ve been super hot lately but it’s mostly been taking advantage of the weakest part of our schedule. That ends this weekend. After the break, we start with 5 against the Phillies and Os, then jump right into it with 4 crucial games against the Braves, 4 against Colorado, 3 against LAD, and then end July with 3 more against the Braves. Would be really beneficial to have our new additions with us during the bulk of that stretch. 

1 hour ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I can't imagine Philly continues like this. They'll get hot again at some point. The break might be coming at the perfect time for them with a series against the Mets beforehand.

Maybe, but their lineup is incredibly streaky and they don't have strong starting pitching, so they're more prone to go on long cold losing streaks.

I know everyone wants bullpen help, as do I, but I'd also look to add one more big bat. Zimm is finished and Adams is really more of a situational guy.

29 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Can a mod please temporarily rename this thread to the Washington Expos thread tomorrow?

@Jumbo

@zoony

@art (still one, right?)

(I'm not being serious so don't stone me)

Riggo#44 is OP so he should be able to change it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Maybe, but their lineup is incredibly streaky and they don't have strong starting pitching, so they're more prone to go on long cold losing streaks.

I know everyone wants bullpen help, as do I, but I'd also look to add one more big bat. Zimm is finished and Adams is really more of a situational guy.

Cutch was a glue guy in Philly’s lineup. Without him, and with Harper hitting like he is, they’ve basically got a streaky Hoskins, Realmuto who is good but also has wear from catching, and Segura. Not surprised they’ve fallen off. 

I think Kendrick/Adams combo is more than sufficient. We also have to account for the fact that we’re up against the luxury tax threshold (not sure how close) so it would be nice if whoever we sign was relatively cheap (cough Will Smith cough). 

I have zero clue how the luxury tax accounts for players we’ve signed but are no longer on our roster. Rosenthal was $6m that we’re still paying but obviously isn’t on the roster, so hopefully that freed up space... not sure if it works that way though. 

1 hour ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Would like to see Rizzo make a splash over the break and get us bullpen help sooner, even if we have to pay a premium for it this far out from the trade deadline. 

We’ve been super hot lately but it’s mostly been taking advantage of the weakest part of our schedule. That ends this weekend. After the break, we start with 5 against the Phillies and Os, then jump right into it with 4 crucial games against the Braves, 4 against Colorado, 3 against LAD, and then end July with 3 more against the Braves. Would be really beneficial to have our new additions with us during the bulk of that stretch. 

I love this team and I'm as excited as I've ever been about Nationals baseball, but I fear the early hole we dug ourselves into will make the brutal schedule we have looming after the break difficult to navigate. If we had played up to our capabilities early on, we could afford to play .500-.525 ball with the league's best; instead, we have to maintain one of the better records in baseball through many challenging series.

So yeah, you aren't wrong. If we're meant to keep this momentum going, we're going to need a little more juice. With a deep and rock solid bullpen, I can see it.

8 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I love this team and I'm as excited as I've ever been about Nationals baseball, but I fear the early hole we dug ourselves into will make the brutal schedule we have looming after the break difficult to navigate. If we had played up to our capabilities early on, we could afford to play .500-.525 ball with the league's best; instead, we have to maintain one of the better records in baseball through many challenging series.

So yeah, you aren't wrong. If we're meant to keep this momentum going, we're going to need a little more juice. With a deep and rock solid bullpen, I can see it.

Schedule eases off a bit after July too. We need to maintain .500 against winning team who aren’t the Braves, make up at least 3 games against the Braves head to head, and maintain our .650-.700 pace against bad teams the rest of the year to take the division. Not impossible by any means, but with so many head to head games against Atlanta left, those will be absolutely crucial. 

52 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'd been hard on Zimm but he did have 2 hits yesterday. No RBIs yet which would be better. Take it slow with him and his playing and we'll see what happens.

You're right on Philly. But they do have a few guys who if hot can provide a lot of runs.

I still would prefer another BP arm of quality before another bat at the moment. Maybe because arms are harder to get.