Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

Just now, Warhead36 said:

I trust Mike Rizzo. People fumed when we let Harper go too. Players come and go, but good management means sustained success.

Harper was a dick who only showed up to work half the time and couldn't make a dent in the postseason. Rendon is a cornerstone to build a team around for a decade. 

We screwed up big time not extending him when he held far more value to us than anyone else.

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I mean, what have the Rockies won with Arenado and that big contract?

Like I said before, its very difficult to win when you pay one player that much money.

Only if you artificially decree that you can't go over the luxury tax in the last two years of Scherzer's deal (which we'll likely waste now).  And because Scherzer's deal is extremely deferred (half) and Stras' deal is 1/3 deferred, in terms of cash flow, they are not mega contracts.  So you go over the lux tax by 15 and pay 3 mil in penalty this year and 4.5 next year.  Once Scherzer comes off, you're back under the tax again.  7.5 mil two years.  That's nothing.  How much did Rosenthal and Barraclough cost?  

Just now, Bacon said:

**** it, I'd go youth movement. Play Kieboom and start extending guys now. Don't bother with Donaldson, just make sure we have our young stars locked down into their 30s.

It may be a long while before we get someone like Scherzer and Stras duo on this team again.  If we go youth now, we'll be wasting the last two years of Scherzer's contract in DC (even if he resigns, it's hard to imagine that he could keep up this level past two years).

• Like 1

Just now, bearrock said:

It may be a long while before we get someone like Scherzer and Stras duo on this team again.  If we go youth now, we'll be wasting the last two years of Scherzer's contract in DC (even if he resigns, it's hard to imagine that he could keep up this level past two years).

Which is why we're going to chase a ring with Bryant or Donaldson, neither of which are on Rendon's level in terms of defense or overall consistency.

But let's be clear: the right thing to do now is to take the money we didn't give to Rendon and give it to Soto. That kid is going to be a legend.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I trust Mike Rizzo. People fumed when we let Harper go too. Players come and go, but good management means sustained success.

1) People said we can let Harper go because Rendon is more important.  

2) This would be an ownership decision (to not exceed the luxury tax), not Rizzo's decision

3) If they end up exceeding the tax and not use that money to resign Rendon and instead take flyers on bullpen again, wtf?  That's a terrible decision. 

Just now, Bacon said:

Which is why we're going to chase a ring with Bryant or Donaldson, neither of which are on Rendon's level in terms of defense or overall consistency.

But let's be clear: the right thing to do now is to take the money we didn't give to Rendon and give it to Soto. That kid is going to be a legend.

It takes two to tango though.  I can't see Soto, a Boras client, taking an extension when he only has 1 yr left on his rookie wage and will hit arbitration soon.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28279696/anthony-rendon-agrees-7-year-245m-deal-angels

"The Washington Post reported in September that the Nationals offered a seven-year deal to Rendon worth $210 million to $215 million earlier that month, but the offer failed to keep him from exploring his value on the free agent market."

$30M difference :(

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BleedBNG said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28279696/anthony-rendon-agrees-7-year-245m-deal-angels

"The Washington Post reported in September that the Nationals offered a seven-year deal to Rendon worth $210 million to $215 million earlier that month, but the offer failed to keep him from exploring his value on the free agent market."

$30M difference :(

We saved $4.3 million a year to be saddled with an inferior player and worsening team chemistry. Awesome. 

What can we get for that, a cheap reliever? What a joke. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

It’s understandable to be upset about Rendon leaving as he was a huge reason that we won the World Series.  HOWEVER, it did appear that his heart never was truly in DC & it’s understandable.  He’s a west coast guy and how do you turn down a chance to play in sunshine California when you’re getting paid that much $.  Mike Trout/Rendon is going to be scary back to back in the order.  If you were going to leave the Nats and hit in front of Juan Soto for the next bunch of years, you couldn’t do any better than hitting next to Mike Trout.  Salute.

We have 4 legit starters and 3 aces.  We will find someone at 3rd to be comparable.  Soto, Robles and Turner will all take big steps.  We will another title since there is no one in the nl outside la to challenge our pitching.   Pitching was the reason why we got out of 19-31. 

Just now, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Personally, I want the kid to get his opportunity at 3rd.

Same. Dedicate the Donaldson money to a long-term extension for one of the young stars or target a real, honest-to-God closer that will double down on our already great pitching.

• Like 2

This is all such a shame because the Angels suck from the ground up. Just a badly run organization all around with a crappy GM, bad drafting and one awful contract after another. Tony's was one of the more reasonable ones. They've had the best player in baseball for a decade and can't win anything.

I went over to the Angels subreddit to see what the vibe was like and maybe offer a congratulations but started tearing up when I saw them calling him Tony Two Bags and had to back out of there.

I can't, man. I just can't. Just like Trea, he was my favorite player.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Folks still don’t trust Rizzo?  They better hurry up & pay that man.

Again, it's not about not trusting Rizzo.  If forced to work with the limitations of staying under or barely toeing over the luxury tax, it's a prudent move.  But staying under or around the tax is an ownership decision, not a GM decision.  What I'm saying is that the Lerners stupidly handcuffed Rizzo by not letting him go over the tax for the next two years to keep Rendon.  

• Like 1