Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

Congrats to Parra.  He gets a 2 mil and a vesting option for 3 mil the following year.  There was no way he gets that from a MLB team.  In some ways, he did us a favor by going to Japan for a payday instead of the Nats FO awkwardly offering vet minimum or minor league deal.  He will be a lifetime National for sure and will always be loved by the fanbase.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

They tried that with Take On Me after Morse left and it was a dud. Best to leave it in the pages of history, imo. 

Disagree about it being a dud--people sang that song for years afterward and many were upset about them changing it. They brought it back this year.

Also, Baby Shark was the anthem to a World Series run. It would carry more weight.

19 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

So MLB.com announced bounce-back candidates for each team. For the Nationals:

Nationals -- Victor Robles, CF
Robles did not take baseball by storm the way that previous high-profile Nationals rookies did, but he also battled injuries. The talent is still all there.

How is a 4.1 bWar rookie a "bounce back" candidate?

The better pick would have been Eaton. 1.6 WAR, but a .848 OPS in the 2nd half.

How could it not be Howie Kendrick?

Edit: Never mind.  I thought we were talking about comeback players of the year in 2019 from 2018.

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 1

MLB.com content. Just...wow....

https://www.mlb.com/news/stephen-strasburg-rumors

While Sherman expressed some doubt, MLB Network analyst Harold Reynolds predicted that Strasburg would indeed return to his hometown. Reynolds said the Padres are "closer than most think" to being a contender, and he pointed out that the team has handed out significant free-agent contracts in each of the past two offseasons -- Eric Hosmer (eight years, $144 million) before the 2018 season and Manny Machado (10 years, $300 million) last winter.

Why Harold Reynolds is employed there is beyond me. He's an idiot and an asshole.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Disagree about it being a dud--people sang that song for years afterward and many were upset about them changing it. They brought it back this year.

Also, Baby Shark was the anthem to a World Series run. It would carry more weight.

Agree to disagree. Every game I went to the season after he left, it felt awkward and forced to me, with the crowd only halfway into it. 

We also missed the playoffs that year (2013), hanging around .500 for the first 3 months of the season and dropping several games below .500 in July before having a solid Aug-Sept. So the lack of winning could have had something to do with the lack of enthusiasm. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Hope Parra kills it in Japan.

We should let Baby Shark RIP though. It was a 2019 magic thing, let it stay in that championship memorial.

It doesn't really matter going forward. Baby Shark is now a part of Nats history. We will always be tied together and my Sons (and many young children) will have stories about how they began liking the Nats (and baseball) because of Parra. I'm sad, but glad that I wont have that song tied to another franchise going forward we'll see but unless its Parra doing it its just an imitator. What are the possibilities of buying that contract out in the future though? Are those contracts rock solid? 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Robles should improve.  He doesn't have to be an offensive force like Soto in order to provide value, he does plenty with his glove.  If he can provide .750-.800 OPS and be as stellar with the glove as he was last year, that's a 4-5 win player, maybe even more.  

He had a 88 OPS+ last year, and was 4.1 WAR. His glove is Cain, Kiermaier, Millar level special already. Because of Soto's meteoric rise, and others like Tatis, Vladdy Jr, and Acuna, Robles is forgetten about. He was a top-5 prospect too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'll never forget that Parra grand slam I saw in person at Dodger Stadium. It helped to flip the season around. His hit in the NLCS to get the crowd back into an anxious, increasingly tight game will also ring fondly in my memory.

Baby Shark was a glorious shooting star and it's always better to leave a little early than to leave once you've already worn out your welcome. 

One-year legend. 

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Just now, skinfan2k said:

Baby Shark is like Rally Monkey.   It is special for that one season.  

BTW, i am addicted to buying world series gear.  i'm near 500!

Watching a Nats Classic from 2015. Julio Teheran is pitching. Oh, Bubble Screen...

D.C. hasn't been a baseball town since the FDR Administration - and that was only because the Senators were the only show in town until 1937. 

I know the Post's poll only covered the District but that 10-year drop off is still pretty incredible. Winning, obviously, plays a none-too-small roll but so does not actively alienating the area you represent, which the Lerner Family and Ted Leonsis have managed to do. It really isn't that hard. The 'Skins, though, couldn't seem to swing that.  

3 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Good.

Was talking with JimmiJo before covering a Redskins game earlier this year.  His insight was that the fans that were in their 30s, 40s and 50s during the glory years are dying off.  There are people my age (38) that have a faint memory of what the good times were like and we hold on for some unknown reason.

Then there are people that are younger than people my age who...just don't have any recollection whatsoever of what it was like.  And they have no reason to be interested in football or Redskins football.  There's a generation of people that are coming up now that just don't care about the Skins and it's starting to show.

Glad to see the Nats, Caps and Mystics are stepping up to claim the crown.  Great to see.

Unrelated, my mind is still completely ****ing blown that Gerardo Parra was so important to a WS team.  My Orioles picked him up for the stretch drive in 2015 from the Rockies and he was absolutely terrible.  Quite frankly, when I saw the Nats had him earlier this year, I was surprised he was still in baseball.  You'll never see such a fringy player mean so much to a team ever again.  Very happy for the way he went out of MLB on a high note and I hope he plays great in Japan.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My daughter showed interest in watching and rooting for a football team.  I told her to pick a team other than the Skins because it is a terrible organization run by a terrible owner.  She asked why I still root for the team.  I told her I honestly don't know.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bearrock said:

My daughter showed interest in watching and rooting for a football team.  I told her to pick a team other than the Skins because it is a terrible organization run by a terrible owner.  She asked why I still root for the team.  I told her I honestly don't know.

Maybe the Skins will have made substantive changes to management and ownership by the time my daughter is old enough to care about sports, but I doubt it. I could live another 60 years and won't see a championship as long as the team is run by billionaire egomaniacs with no football sense. 

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 1