Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

It's just incredible to me that none of these teams ever successfully fought back. When we got the lead, it was over. I'd miss these huge scoring moments and turn the TV on afterward, figuring the bullpen would blow it somehow, but they never did. There were some close calls (backdoor slider NLDS game 2 omg), but they always held on. 

One of my favorite moments that nobody talks about is Parra's pinch hit single in game 4 of the NLCS. We were back on our heels and there was so much tension in Nats Park that you could feel it through the television. The Cards had woken up and shades of 2012 were coloring everything. Then Baby Shark plays, the crowd loosens up and Parra gets his hit. Did it lead to a run? No. But it slowed the game down and got the crowd back in it. Classic example of what Parra brought to the team. 

• Like 2

If our playoffs were a movie, the Wild Card win would be like that very first game the scrappy underdog team comes from behind to win in.

In comparison, the Cardinals series would be like when they show a montage of the team going on a hot streak killing everyone, lolol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

That broken bat single from Zim was ****ing awesome. It's the kind of thing that NEVER happened for us, only against us.

Yeah its like when Roger Dorn draws a walk out of nowhere in Major League 2. Except Zimm is 100000x more likable.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah its like when Roger Dorn draws a walk out of nowhere in Major League 2. Except Zimm is 100000x more likable.

Zim, thankfully, did not shout RESPECT ME at the top of his lungs afterward.

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

It's just incredible to me that none of these teams ever successfully fought back. When we got the lead, it was over. I'd miss these huge scoring moments and turn the TV on afterward, figuring the bullpen would blow it somehow, but they never did. There were some close calls (backdoor slider NLDS game 2 omg), but they always held on. 

One of my favorite moments that nobody talks about is Parra's pinch hit single in game 4 of the NLCS. We were back on our heels and there was so much tension in Nats Park that you could feel it through the television. The Cards had woken up and shades of 2012 were coloring everything. Then Baby Shark plays, the crowd loosens up and Parra gets his hit. Did it lead to a run? No. But it slowed the game down and got the crowd back in it. Classic example of what Parra brought to the team. 

Damn dude, that’s a horrible way to experience everything.  You didn’t even fully invest yourself into this run & missed a ton of action!  Shame on you!  But all is forgiven lolol

4 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Zim, thankfully, did not shout RESPECT ME at the top of his lungs afterward.

Good Lord did I hate Rizzo after that. He hit like .200 that series too, what a chode. One of the favorite moments of the season was when we swept the Cubs in Wrigley, basically knocking them out of the playoffs and costing smug ass Joe Maddon his job.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Damn dude, that’s a horrible way to experience everything.  You didn’t even fully invest yourself into this run & missed a ton of action!  Shame on you!  But all is forgiven lolol

You're telling me! I probably saw half of the biggest moments in the run and missed the other half. I got to see the Howie slam, the insane Suzuki homer in WS game 2, Hudson's amazing NLDS game 2 save, The Call in WS game 6 followed by the Rendon silencer, and of course Patrick Corbin/Daniel Hudson sealing up the championship. So it's not all bad.

All those daycare runs added up, you know. Nothing comes for free.

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Good Lord did I hate Rizzo after that. He hit like .200 that series too, what a chode. One of the favorite moments of the season was when we swept the Cubs in Wrigley, basically knocking them out of the playoffs and costing smug ass Joe Maddon his job.

Anibal Sanchez's bunt @ 4:24 should be shown to little leaguers everywhere.

• Like 1

Things felt like destiny when Rendon calmly walked up to Davey in the dugout and placed his hand on his chest to check his heartbeat.

It looked kind-of deadpan comedy to me. And it took a second but Davey busted out laughing then hugged him. That was game 4 of the NLCS. Just unexpected for that moment and to be caught on camera. And it just felt like these dudes could handle the moment. 

1130464826_ScreenShot2019-11-06at8_31_14PM.thumb.png.79f117a6987050e050e6c2dccb91d064.png

• Like 2

Howies Grand Slam is probably my all time favorite DC sports moment of my life in all honesty. Yes we won a play in game. But that isnt a series. We were facing the same old Nats with a game 5 loss for sure. Then Howie steps to the plate and lifts a million ton weight of Nats playoff failure off or everyones shoulders. I will never forget it.

12 minutes ago, -JB- said:

40 Mill per year? Yeah. I think you have to let him walk for that. 

• Like 2

The short term high AAV was actually LA’s offer to Harper. Interesting strategy. I wouldn’t hate it... take a year or two off of how long you have to pay a guy, presumably not in his prime anymore. But not many teams have the payroll flexibility to match, which presumably is why LA (supposedly) wants to go that route. 

If we do lose Tony, watch for Rizzo to attempt to construct one of the most decorated pitching staffs in baseball history by pairing our current rotation with a bullpen comprised of Doolittle, Hudson and Will Smith/Harris. He's not going to send us into 2020 with a trash bullpen if we don't have the same level of offensive production. It would be an ugly mark on his legacy to make that mistake again. 

Just imagine every day having 6 innings of either Scherzer, Strasburg, Corbin, Sanchez or Ross, followed by a 7/8/9 of Doolittle, Hudson and some splashy, big name closer. We'll win every game 2-1 if we have to. 

Edited by Bacon

2 hours ago, -JB- said:

Teams pay under WAR value in the beginning of the contract and end up overpaying towards the end.  Most players will parlay their prime years to get some guaranteed money at the end of the career.  

Rendon is a unique case because he may decide not to play beyond mid thirties anyway.  In that scenario, maximizing his immediate earnings now makes sense.  And it makes sense for the team too because he would have to average 6 war to justify a 40 mil contract (even less if you trust fangraph).  If you only have to pay him during his prime years, 40 aav definitely makes sense.

7 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Teams pay under WAR value in the beginning of the contract and end up overpaying towards the end.  Most players will parlay their prime years to get some guaranteed money at the end of the career.  

Rendon is a unique case because he may decide not to play beyond mid thirties anyway.  In that scenario, maximizing his immediate earnings now makes sense.  And it makes sense for the team too because he would have to average 6 war to justify a 40 mil contract (even less if you trust fangraph).  If you only have to pay him during his prime years, 40 aav definitely makes sense.

I’ve already thought about 5 years for 200 mill before reading this.  I just find it funny the guy is predicting it’s already in the bag.  I actually think Rizzo would prefer a shorter deal with more per year.  I don’t think this is a deal that would scare Rizzo away.

• Like 1