Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

On 1/5/2019 at 2:36 PM, OVCChairman said:

This further pushes my concern about signing Harper if it means sacrificing Rendon / Turner, because those two are cornerstone type infielders who could play at a high level for the next 8-10 years.   

And Bryce isn't a cornerstone who could play at a high level for ten years?  He's a 26 year old who already has an MVP under his belt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

And Bryce isn't a cornerstone who could play at a high level for ten years?  He's a 26 year old who already has an MVP under his belt.

He absolutely is.  But I don't want to sacrifice 1 cornerstone who COULD play at a high level for 2 who COULD... that's just bad math.  I'd prefer we keep all 3, but if I had to chose Harper OR Rendon AND Turner, I take Rendon AND Turner. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

If he returns would it be a long term deal? Would the Nats be able to afford him?

Richest owners in the league. They can afford whatever they want. Do they want to play luxury taxes and have insane payrolls? That's a different question. 

Yes, they can. 

21 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

He absolutely is.  But I don't want to sacrifice 1 cornerstone who COULD play at a high level for 2 who COULD... that's just bad math.  I'd prefer we keep all 3, but if I had to chose Harper OR Rendon AND Turner, I take Rendon AND Turner. 

This isn't an either/or proposition unless they choose to make it one themselves. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Richest owners in the league. They can afford whatever they want. Do they want to play luxury taxes and have insane payrolls? That's a different question. 

Yes, they can. 

This isn't an either/or proposition unless they choose to make it one themselves. 

I'm aware of that, I never said it was, my stance all along was to retain all 3 and go all in for a WS for the next 3-5 seasons (obviously depending on pitching)... which is what started this conversation when i said I wanted to be sure Rizzo was part of the conversation because I don't want the Lerner's being the ones controlling this negotiation without Rizzo's input.  My point was that I don't want them to strike a deal, then in a year Rizzo approach them with Rendon's contract and they tell him "too bad, that money is gone." 

9 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

If he returns would it be a long term deal? Would the Nats be able to afford him?

Yes the can AFFORD him... it's going to come down to whether or not they WANT to pay that much.  His jersey sales and ticket sales alone would account for the amount of Luxury Tax they would have to pay toward his contract because the tax only applies to the amount they go OVER, not the amount of the whole payroll expense.  They're one of the richest ownership groups in sports, if they want him here bad enough, he'll be here.  

8 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Team friendly deal

He should be motivated to bounce back to secure a multi year from someone next offseason

He had odd circumstances last year. Twins were snakebitten early in the season and then he got traded. 

He’s got really good pop for a 2B and is much better defensively than we’ve been used to with Murphy. Really like the signing on a one year deal. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

He had odd circumstances last year. Twins were snakebitten early in the season and then he got traded. 

He’s got really good pop for a 2B and is much better defensively than we’ve been used to with Murphy. Really like the signing on a one year deal. 

I agree. Little downside to the signing. If he doesnt bounce back, we have potential in-house options or can add someone at the deadline.

8 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Still hit 21 homers last year despite having a poor season for his standards.  Nice separation between the batting average and on base percentage.  I like this pickup for you guys.

Yes indeed. With Gomes/Suzuki at C and Dozier at 2B, the bottom of the lineup is seriously solidified. Some protection for Zimmerman/Adams too. 

Nats have a solid bench with Adams, Difo, MAT, and Kendrick. 

11 minutes ago, DC9 said:

That was the rumor yesterday, anyway.

But it would be his opt out is the way it was worded.

Thats how it usually works in deals that big. All agents try to set their guys up to reenter the market if its advantageous 

Kinda hoping Stras balls out and decides to use his opt out. I would feel better if his money went to a more reliable starter.

• Like 1

Just now, StillUnknown said:

Kinda hoping Stras balls out and decides to use his opt out. I would feel better if his money went to a more reliable starter.

I was thinking that too. After so many DL stints though, I don’t see it.

Maybe if he pitches the whole year, wins Cy Young, Nats win WS, and Boras catches wind that San Diego wants to give him $200m.