Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

Pitching development has concerned me. We havent really struck a guy we drafred since jzimm.

At least they saw the writing on the wall with giolito and flipped him for talent.

We simply dont have many talented rotation arms in the minors. Denanburg is probably our top pitching prospect and thats largely because he just got here.

I prefer having arms in minor. Even when they look like "busts", their rep is usually good enough to flip them for something valuable.

If bryce resigns, i'm hoping they flip eaton or robles for the dominant minor league arm

So a national reporter just gave an interview saying that Nats are out on Harper and it's down to Giants and Phillies, with Harper preferring SF unless money is stupid in Philly. 

That same reporter reported earlier in the day that A's were cautiously optimistic that Kyler Murray was gonna report to spring training.

That reporter, of course, is Bob Nightengale :ols:

Guess that makes us a frontrunner for Bryce? :P

3 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

Pitching development has concerned me. We havent really struck a guy we drafred since jzimm.

At least they saw the writing on the wall with giolito and flipped him for talent.

We simply dont have many talented rotation arms in the minors. Denanburg is probably our top pitching prospect and thats largely because he just got here.

I prefer having arms in minor. Even when they look like "busts", their rep is usually good enough to flip them for something valuable.

If bryce resigns, i'm hoping they flip eaton or robles for the dominant minor league arm

Flip Robles?!

Absolutely not.

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Flip Robles?!

Absolutely not.

not for anybody, but if Bryce resigns, Robles is our best bet to get a dominant arm without breaking the bank. Eaton is quality, but Robles will bring back a higher return

I love Robles, but if Bryce resigns, its about roster construction

3 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

Giants coming in late as a serious potential landing spot for Bryce. 

Wouldn't mind that either. I'm pretty much in a "anyone but Philly" mindset.

I had to look it up, Hunter Strickland isn't on the team anymore, and Morse had to retire after that Nationals-Giants brawl.  Samardzija, the guy who would have damn near murdered Harper with a football tackle* if he hadn't hit Morse by accident, is still on the team.  Could be an interesting dynamic.

Spare me a counter argument.  Samardzija played a at a high level at Notre Dame, is bigger than Harper, and Harper didn't see him coming.  Harper might have been on the DL the rest of the year if Morse hadn't been in the wrong place at the wrong time (for Morse.)

I hope the Phils sign Keuchel. He's another declining sinkerballer. Arrietta was buoyed last year by a terrific May 0.90 ERA. He had a 2nd half era of 5.04. His strikeouts are declining, while his walks are increasing. His ERA and FIP have risen every year since his Cy Young run in 2015. Keuchel is the same type of pitcher. His FIP has been in the high-3's for the last three years.

As for the division--I really question the Phils rotation. Nola is fantastic, but after him are Arrieta, Pivetta, Velasquez, and Eflin. There is some potential there--but they're getting into their mid-to-late 20s and time for them to take the next step is running thin. They lineup is Ok, Herrera had an amazing start and a terrible 2nd half. I like Segura and Hoskins, Hernandez is underrated. They did a good job getting Realmuto, but Franco has a career .303 OBP, and was a 0.2 WAR player last year. McCutcheon is on the steep decline--and he is one of my favorite players, even though he kills us. What's really killing the Phillies is their almost complete inability to develop players outside of Nola and Hoskins. They almost HAVE to give Harper or Machado $400m.

Braves rotation is questionable, past Foltyneas;ldfkfjicz. They relied on big years from Nick Markakis, who slugged over .400 for the 1st time in 7 years, Albies hot start--2nd half .642 OPS last year--his weakness vs. righties was exposed, Culberson's career year, Johan Carmago came out of nowhere. Acuna and Freeman are great. Folty improved dramatically, Newcomb isn't good, Gausman isn't either. Their catchers suck. They have a ton of pitching in the minors, but, we'll see what happens. Prospects--especially pitching prospects--don't always pan out.

The Mets will be the Mets. They are MLB's Redskins--always pumped up in the offseason to fall flat on their faces when the games start. deGrom is not going come close to repeating last year. Syndergaard is the most overrated player in baseball. Matz is mediocre and Jason Vargas is ****ing awful. Zach Wheeler was terrific in the 2nd half last year--I think he's better than Syndergaard. As for their line up. It is really constructed poorly. It's like it was put together by someone with no front office experience. Cano is 36, when is he going to decline? McNeil is wholly unproven and had a +.360 BABIP last year, same with Nimmo--don't think those numbers are sustainable. They have 87 infielders and one real outfielder. They seem to be slapped together without a real plan. The Buffalo is a good bat, but horrid defensively. They pushed their chips in to finish .500

The Nats come with a line of questions of their own. Is Strasburg healthy? How long can Max be MAX! Was Corbin a fluke in a contract year? Was Anibal Sanchez a fluke? Hellickson? They have some depth with Fedde, Ross, and Henderson Alvarez, who knows if any of them will be any good at all, or another line of 5.00+ ERA crap pitchers. Their lineup should still be good, even without Harper. They have a good core with Soto, Turner, Rendon, Eaton (if finally healthy). I don't trust Suzuki's numbers last year, but like the addition--it's better than the crap behind the plate last year. Gomes is a terrific defender, and adequate with the bat. Dozier is a good 1-year flyer--see if he rebounds. If not, Keiboom is waiting. But my concern is around their pitching...

If I had to pick on, I'd say the Braves repeat. They have the pitching pipeline to really cover the gaps in their rotation, and they'll score runs with Freeman, Acuna, Albies, and now Donaldson.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bearrock said:

So a national reporter just gave an interview saying that Nats are out on Harper and it's down to Giants and Phillies, with Harper preferring SF unless money is stupid in Philly. 

That same reporter reported earlier in the day that A's were cautiously optimistic that Kyler Murray was gonna report to spring training.

That reporter, of course, is Bob Nightengale :ols:

Guess that makes us a frontrunner for Bryce? :P

I am convinced Nightengale is actually a bot. No one can be that wrong that often and still be considered an "insider"

12 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

not for anybody, but if Bryce resigns, Robles is our best bet to get a dominant arm without breaking the bank. Eaton is quality, but Robles will bring back a higher return

I love Robles, but if Bryce resigns, its about roster construction

I'd rather trade Eaton, Taylor, AND Goodwin than give up Robles. 

• Like 1

As we approach the 15th season of Nationals baseball with a ton of question marks, let's all take a deep breath and remember:

-D.C. still has big league baseball. Our 30+ year wait mercifully ended and it looks like the Nats are here to stay. 

-Montreal may very well have a team again so things may be back in balance soon

(https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-baseball-new-stadium-1.4947176)

-And of course:

Short_Stinks.jpg

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

And the Orioles are going to stink worse than they did last year. Which still gives me a bit of schadenfreude

Serves the Angelos family right for stonewalling baseball out of D.C. for so long.

Oddly enough, though, the O's (then under Jerold Hoffberger) were one of the two teams to vote against the Senators moving in '71. I think the other team was the White Sox - one of the reasons they're my favorite AL franchise.

Just now, thebluefood said:

Serves the Angelos family right for stonewalling baseball out of D.C. for so long.

Oddly enough, though, the O's (then under Jerold Hoffberger) were one of the two teams to vote against the Senators moving in '71. I think the other team was the White Sox - one of the reasons they're my favorite AL franchise.

How much did Angelos hurt MLB in general with this? They are now stuck with franchises in Tampa and Miami, who cannot draw for ****. And MIami is a special kind of ****show.

I'm glad we have the Nats, but you wonder how things would have been different

7 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

How much did Angelos hurt MLB in general with this? They are now stuck with franchises in Tampa and Miami, who cannot draw for ****. And MIami is a special kind of ****show.

I'm glad we have the Nats, but you wonder how things would have been different

And let's not forget the MASN fiasco either.  Snyder and Angelos are neck and neck for worst owners in pro sports.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I read last year that a group wants to buy Tampa and move them to Montreal. That would be interesting. Both teams from Canada in the same division. 

Hope they move/expand in the Carolinas too. Raleigh and Charlotte could totally support an MLB franchise.

9 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Would take Angelos in a heartbeat (since he is likely to die sooner). 

This is where we're at...

Watching the Wizards and Redskins fiascos unfold year in and year out, makes me really grateful for the Lerners. Mark seems like he wants to win just as bad as his dad.

15 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

Hope they move/expand in the Carolinas too. Raleigh and Charlotte could totally support an MLB franchise.

I thought that would be a good market too. It would piss the Braves off, which would be nice as well.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

I don't think MLB should expand. Feels like relocation would be better right now. But besides Tampa. The poorest drawing teams of 2018 aren't going to move. Pittsburgh, Baltimore? Never.

Maybe Oakland. They need a BASEBALL stadium. 

We don't need more teams. 

34 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I don't think MLB should expand. Feels like relocation would be better right now. But besides Tampa. The poorest drawing teams of 2018 aren't going to move. Pittsburgh, Baltimore? Never.

Maybe Oakland. They need a BASEBALL stadium. 

We don't need more teams. 

It' interesting--the poorest drawing teams are some of the most established...and then there's Miami and TB...