Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

Alright. This is the issue I have with the whole minor leaguer pay:

Brian: On the Minor league salaries issue, my coworkers son was drafted in the 3rd round last year with a $500K signing bonus. What people don’t understand when they hear that is that is essentially all they will get unless they make it to the big leagues. He also left college a year early with no degree. He lives with his parents in the off-season, paid for his own personal trainer, and had to buy a lot of his own equipment (bats, gloves, etc.). It is border-line criminal how much these guys are exploited chasing a dream.
Keith Law: Yep, except it’s explicitly legal thanks to the Republican Party giving MLB a huge boondoggle in the 2017 tax bill.

$500K to a 22 year old is exploitation? I'm 43, and that's almost 5 years salary for me, with 2 kids, a mortgage, 2 car payments...this is the problem with emotional arguments. Nothing is looked at with any kind of reason. You know how long it took me to make $500K after college WITH a degree? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

$500K to a 22 year old is exploitation? I'm 43, and that's almost 5 years salary for me, with 2 kids, a mortgage, 2 car payments...this is the problem with emotional arguments. Nothing is looked at with any kind of reason. You know how long it took me to make $500K after college WITH a degree? 

Yeah if you want to find tough MiLB stories don’t look at 3rd rounders. Look at the guys who sign $50k signing bonuses and then spend years making next to nothing. 

2 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Yeah if you want to find tough MiLB stories don’t look at 3rd rounders. Look at the guys who sign $50k signing bonuses and then spend years making next to nothing. 

Yes, I agree there. But, again, these kids are signing up for it too. So there is some personal responsibility that needs to be considered. I don't know. The more I read about this the more I agree with Eaton--there is room for improvement, there is ground to be made up--but it shouldn't be millions of dollars for all. You should have to work for it. Perish the thought.

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!!

47 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't know, even if its "low" you're still being paid a healthy salary to play baseball for a living and it isn't even year round. Things can be way worse.

For minor leaguers, the salary is hardly "healthy."  There's a lawsuit in the courts where minor leaguers are suing to be paid at least minimum wage. Most minor league players make around $7,500.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pirates/2018/07/09/minor-league-wages-lawsuit-mlb-pirates-altoona-curve/stories/201807050008

• Like 1

From a tidbit on MLBTradeRumors:

"Washington brought in the 42-year-old on a minor league contract three weeks ago. He then allowed five runs (four earned) with 11 strikeouts and nine walks in eight innings with the Nationals’ Triple-A affiliate in Fresno."

Me: Oy Vey.

On 6/24/2019 at 12:47 PM, Riggo#44 said:

On 6/24/2019 at 12:59 PM, Riggo#44 said:

Yes, I agree there. But, again, these kids are signing up for it too. So there is some personal responsibility that needs to be considered. I don't know. The more I read about this the more I agree with Eaton--there is room for improvement, there is ground to be made up--but it shouldn't be millions of dollars for all. You should have to work for it. Perish the thought.

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!!

On 6/24/2019 at 1:00 PM, Dan T. said:

For minor leaguers, the salary is hardly "healthy."  There's a lawsuit in the courts where minor leaguers are suing to be paid at least minimum wage. Most minor league players make around $7,500.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pirates/2018/07/09/minor-league-wages-lawsuit-mlb-pirates-altoona-curve/stories/201807050008

They certainly should make at least minimum wage, but they are after all playing a game.  They aren't mining coal.  I also don't see the $7,500 figure, certainly not as an annual salary.

According to MLB, the average salary for minor league players in 2017 ranged from $10,000 a month for Class AAA, right below the majors, to $1,100 per month in short-season or rookie leagues. Federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour, equaling $15,080 a year for a 40-hour work week.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

They certainly should make at least minimum wage, but they are after all playing a game.  They aren't mining coal.  I also don't see the $7,500 figure, certainly not as an annual salary.

Fed minimum wage would be $1250 a month, so $1100 per month in short season or rookie leagues would be below minimum wage.

They play a game for entertainment of the crowd and for development of future major leaguers.  Seems plenty valuable work imo.

Is there some kind of wage cap for minor leagues?  I know the compensation gets factored in to MLB salary cap, but if I'm the Nats, unless you think late round picks are throwaways, why not give them an environment where they could focus on baseball development year round?  Dorm and nutritional services probably wouldn't add that much to the bottom line while increasing the player's ability to focus on baseball development.  

2 things to keep in mind for minor league pay

1) They don't get paid throughout the year, so the $1100 a month does equate to about $7500 a year when you factor in that they just get paid during the season.  This is why so many have part time jobs.

2) They don't get paid during Spring Training.  So, for approx. 6 weeks they have no money coming in and they certainly can't have their off-season job during that time.

From an excellent article called "I can't afford to play this game" at the Athletic website.  It's a paysite,  and I don't know if anybody has a subscription, but here's the link:

https://theathletic.com/830452/2019/03/15/i-cant-afford-to-play-this-game-minor-leaguers-open-up-about-the-realities-of-their-pay-and-its-impact-on-their-lives/

Players are not paid during spring training. From February until late March, the only money reaching the players’ hands is for meals.

While the process varies slightly from team to team, the amount of meal money you receive is dependent upon whether you’re starting spring training in big league camp, or if you fall under the early-March minor league report dates. The teams will generally provide breakfast and lunch at the complex, leaving you on your own for dinner, which, as a minor leaguer gives you around $20-30 a day for food.

If you’re held over into extended spring training, this financial situation continues until you’re added to an active roster.

If your next stop lands in short-season, you’re looking at June for your next paycheck.

“If you stay in extended, you don’t get paid,” an AL West Low A player said. “So, I went all the way through March, April and May to mid-June with getting $20 a day.”

Max is the greatest and most fun pitcher I've ever had the pleasure of watching.  There have been other comparable pitchers since I've been a baseball fan (Pedro, Unit, Clemens, Maddux, Kershaw, etc), but none of them were on a team I watched every day.  I feel so lucky to have watched the vast majority of his starts over the last few years.  

Edited by bcl05
  • Like 2