Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Games like last night make me not want to deal Scherzer. He deserves to win a ring here.

The man got blasted in the 3rd and kept on fighting for another 4 innings like nothing ever happened, almost reaching 120 pitches. He's a very rare breed. 

Man, when's the last time we won a series?  I mean a road split with the Dodgers is fine, but obviously we all know the way they've been trending.  And I've had enough with Rizzo blowing smoke up everyone's ass.  Martinez is not a major league manager and we've seen nothing the last year plus to suggest otherwise.

12 hours ago, bearrock said:

Man, when's the last time we won a series?

We've won back-to-back games 3 times this year--never winning 3 in a row.

We are currently on a 5-13 run.

Edited by Riggo#44

General thoughts on Davey 1.25 years into his tenure...

-IMO the impact of managers is significantly overrated. Over the course of a 162 game season, the best manager compared to the worst in decision making might net you 4-5 extra wins. 

-the above observation was specific to decision making. Managers do need one very basic quality: leadership. Their team has to trust and respect them. 

-we have zero inside knowledge about the extent the clubhouse trusts and respects Davey. I will observe though: he displays a significant lack of charisma in his media appearances. I can’t imagine that’s a ton different with his players. I can’t imagine that’s a ton different in his job interviews... how’d he get this job again? 

-finally, I may have missed it but I can’t recall any player publicly standing up for Davey even after all the complaints swirl about him. It doesn’t *feel* like he’s got the trust and respect of this team. 

For these reasons, I’m totally fine with them moving on from Davey at any point during the season. My one caution: don’t expect results to immediately improve with a new manager. Our bullpen is still thin. Our lineup is still missing a piece or two (and many guys have been underperforming/injured). The latter two things will make a much larger immediate impact on the team than any improvements you get in your manager position. 

I just flat out don't care. I'm going to show up for the bobblehead games and any giveaways like bags or crap like that but I'm better off using my free time to play video games. I didn't even watch or listen yesterday and I don' care. 

Call me bandwagon all you want but damn it this is just disapointing to watch this team now 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

General thoughts on Davey 1.25 years into his tenure..

-we have zero inside knowledge about the extent the clubhouse trusts and respects Davey. I will observe though: he displays a significant lack of charisma in his media appearances. I can’t imagine that’s a ton different with his players. I can’t imagine that’s a ton different in his job interviews... how’d he get this job again? 

-finally, I may have missed it but I can’t recall any player publicly standing up for Davey even after all the complaints swirl about him.

If memory serves, the interviewing process is why Martinez had not been a manager sooner. He was always well regarded in baseball circles, but writers mentioned that he was not impressive in interviews.

To the other point, Zimm spoke up for him recently. Basicly said its on the players to play and what can a manager really do with the amount of injuries we've had

Just now, StillUnknown said:

To the other point, Zimm spoke up for him recently. Basicly said its on the players to play and what can a manager really do with the amount of injuries we've had

Both Murphy and Harper backed him last year. Although, Harper backed Williams too.

14 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

If memory serves, the interviewing process is why Martinez had not been a manager sooner. He was always well regarded in baseball circles, but writers mentioned that he was not impressive in interviews.

Your memory is correct, I recall the same.

And Zimm's argument is also correct and echoes what I said in the rest of my post, that managers don't really impact the performance of the players, and that performance is a much bigger factor than anything Davey is doing or not doing. But don't think those handful of comments you and Riggo mentioned are truly indicative of his team being fully behind him. But like I said, I'm not in the clubhouse so I don't know what the team really thinks.

16 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Don't look now, but Giolito is off to a good start as well: https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/giolilu01.shtml

Its alarming and damning the pitchers who find success when they leave here. Almost every bullpen arm we traded or got rid of is doing well

Most of those moves made sense when at the time, but the lack of payoff is making the pain now even worse

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Its alarming and damning the pitchers who find success when they leave here. Almost every bullpen arm we traded or got rid of is doing well

Most of those moves made sense when at the time, but the lack of payoff is making the pain now even worse

Then you look at the rotation prospects we've given up too.. Giolito looking like he might be figuring it out, Lopez struck out 14 last week, Dunning is a top 100 prospect, Luzardo is a top 15 prospect. Ugh. 

6 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Dunning is a top 100 prospect

Dunning is out with Tommy John, so he would be off most lists now. Lopez has a 6.38 ERA.

But the point remains, so many pitchers leave here and excel. They need to take a long, hard look at the way the develop and use pitchers...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Its the nature of relief pitching. Guys who suck one year can be great the next year. Although Melancon and Kintzler have always been fairly solid.

I think pitching coaches can't be overrated. The ones that are good teachers and have a strong eye for mechanics along with being able to convey what the pitcher needs to do to get better. We've had some bad ones in McCatty and Lilliqust. Maddox was really good.

• Like 1