Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

Against my better judgment, I'm seeing this tire fire of a team on Saturday with a friend. Any idea who's likely to pitch that day? 

Does i matter? Unless they pitch a CG SO, the bullpen will blow it if the defense doesn't...

14 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Does i matter? Unless they pitch a CG SO, the bullpen will blow it if the defense doesn't...

As far as W/L goes, absolutely not. 

They have a slightly better chance with Corbin because he can hit for himself, but that's it. 

EDIT: Barring injury, looks like Max vs Walker Buehler. Not expecting a good result, but it's better to see a future hall of famer than not while he's around. 

Edited by Bacon

30 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Injury and manager situation might mask some of the fundamental deficiencies of the team, but man I hope Rizzo can sell the Lerners on selling big at the deadline. It's the only way to set up for a successful decade in the 2020s. 

I agree with the 1st part of your post. Not sure if that means sell big, or just sell SOME. Right now with all the injuries. The value of these guys might be lower. 

Right now I'm looking at the health of these guys and the training. Taking out the freak injuries. Reassessing the training and med staff. These injuries they seem to have no idea on how long the healing process will take.

At this point, it doesn't matter about Davey. While I think he shouldn't be kept. I also think its a hard move with so many injuries. Now, if they wanted to finally pay for coaching staff. I'd say contact the Giradri camp and start talking for next season. Don't wait until another club is jumping in on that.

Any established manager is going to want a big contract to guard against our history of not giving anyone 3 years. 

Upper management, be it Rizzo or the owners, clearly feel managers are replaceable and dont want to spend big there after spending 200mil on a roster.

Barring a change in philosophy, i dont see any names like Girardi signing up

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

The Braves sold off after their collapse in 2014, took them 3 years to rebuild. If we sell now, we'll still have a rotation. Maybe Denaburg develops...

If we sell now I'm trying to offload Scherzer and Strasburg, probably keeping Corbin (for now) though and see how long the rebuild takes. One of the biggest target areas for prospects has to be rotation. 

Strasburg would be a tough contract to get value from.. he's got opt outs after this year and next. That's another factor we've got to think of though. How good is our rotation in 2020 without Strasburg? There's no guarantee he returns. 

2 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Injury and manager situation might mask some of the fundamental deficiencies of the team, but man I hope Rizzo can sell the Lerners on selling big at the deadline. It's the only way to set up for a successful decade in the 2020s. 

I think this has to happen. This run is over. Trade Rendon, etc.

• Like 1