Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

I know the play has been uninspiring recently except the Robles and Rendon, but the ESPN odds still have us at 94% even with the recent slide.

Saying we're still very much alive makes it sound like we're doing the chasing, rather than being in the lead.  

Keep the faith!

1 hour ago, Forehead said:

I know the play has been uninspiring recently except the Robles and Rendon, but the ESPN odds still have us at 94% even with the recent slide.

Saying we're still very much alive makes it sound like we're doing the chasing, rather than being in the lead.  

Keep the faith!

I'd be more worried if the Cubs and Cards weren't playing each other so much down the stretch. But since they have 6 more head-to-head games, it makes it mathematically impossible for both teams to get to 90 wins (or close to it). We need to take care of our bidness against the Marlins and Phillies.

29 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'd be more worried if the Cubs and Cards weren't playing each other so much down the stretch. But since they have 6 more head-to-head games, it makes it mathematically impossible for both teams to get to 90 wins (or close to it). We need to take care of our bidness against the Marlins and Phillies.

I keep forgetting.. well not really forgetting... that we don't have to finish ahead of the Brewers AND the Cubs. Just one of them. Would be great to have that WC game at home obviously but mostly important is just getting in. Just feels inevitable with how hot the Brewers are and how easy their schedule is that they will pass us. We just need to hold off the Cubs though.

6 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I keep forgetting.. well not really forgetting... that we don't have to finish ahead of the Brewers AND the Cubs. Just one of them. Would be great to have that WC game at home obviously but mostly important is just getting in. Just feels inevitable with how hot the Brewers are and how easy their schedule is that they will pass us. We just need to hold off the Cubs though.

That's where I'm at.  When I did my schedule compare a few pages back, it was kind of depressing to see that the Brewers were playing a bunch of teams with nothing to play for except the spoiler role.  I personally believe the spoiler role doesn't work very often as a motivator.

We do get three against the Marlins, and we need to take two of three from them at the absolute worst.  Then we have eight games against the Phillies and Indians.  The Phillies are all but eliminated so I guess is he question is how motivated is Bryce to try to stick it to us, because I can't imagine the rest of that team cares that much.  Philly as a city hates the Mets more than they do us.

I was hoping the Indians would also be eliminated and unmotivated when we got to them at the end, but they're gone on a recent winning streak, like the Brewers, and are now a 50/50 shot with Tampa for the last spot in the AL.

The other thing is, though people say we're only a game ahead, we're actually two games ahead of the Brewers and three ahead of the Cubs.  I always go strictly by the loss column.  We've played two less games than they have, so we have a few chances to get some distance where they don't have a game to match us.  Of course, we could also lose those, but again, thinking positive here.