Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

12 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

$200m buys us 1 game over the Marlins...

An effective rebuild needs to factor in payroll. That's why I'm fine with moving Strasburg even if we don't get peak value for him. Fine with moving Scherzer even though it would hurt me to do so (I'd instantly be rooting for whatever team he's on, don't even care if it's the Yanks or Dodgers, I want him to win a ring). 

We need to dump salary and get down into the low $100m territory, then get ready to splurge in 2-3 years when it's time to compete again.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

all they gotta do is keep it real.

first thing you do is make a call on Rizzo. If he's out, find his replacement

have whoever is the GM dismiss Martinez and put anybody who has value up for trade minus Soto & Robles.

start the rebuild, do it right, pain be damned. hopefully in 2 years, we're back ready to compete

That's the thing: I don't consider this a full-scale rebuild.

We just need some additions.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

That's the thing: I don't consider this a full-scale rebuild.

We just need some additions.

The problem is how bloated the payroll is and little wiggle room you have for additions. If we're assuming that right now, right around the luxury tax threshold, is their max. 

Next year, Zimm's $18m is gone (but you've gotta replace him)... net saving of $10m maybe if we're letting Adams start and signing someone else,  (more if Zimm Jr is your backup). 

Rendon's $18m is either gone (but he has to be replaced) or is more like $25m if we re-sign him. 

Rosenthal can be bought out for a decrease of $5m over this year's payroll and those funds reallocated to new bullpen members. 

Dozier's $9m can MAYBE be replaced with Kieboom. Big maybe after his showing last month. 

Kendrick is making like $5m and out-performing his contract by a substantial margin. I don't consider his FA being a salary deduction because you have to replace him with someone more expensive.

So you've got, best case scenario, $22m less in payroll than this year if we re-sign Rendon (and that's not factoring in arbitration increases). After arbitration increases, you're looking at maybe $10m. That'll buy you less than one top tier reliever. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215

This team is just really really bad and I think it was a huge mistake to let Harper walk.  Total waste of having guys like Scherzer here.  How does Rizzo get of keeping this **** coach and never supplying the team with middle relief?

Every time I turn on the TV it seems like they are blowing leads.

12 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

Soto takes ground balls at 1B during BP. I wonder if that's his position in the future.

Where did you see or hear this?  Because I really do think that's his future position.  Maybe as soon as Zimmerman retires.

He's a below average fielding outfielder.

The mistake was not trading Harper last year, let's be real nobody thought he was staying. Same as with Cousins though not quite as bad because the Nationals wanted Harper to stay whereas Bruce knew Cousins was not wanted.

Going with Martinez was unacceptable in the final year of Harper when you are trying to win a World Series - go down swinging with a proven manager. This season is already lost, Davey will be fired before it ends. It's not even really his fault, certainly not entirely, but a move has to be made on principle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sticksboi05 said:

The mistake was not trading Harper last year, let's be real nobody thought he was staying.

Exactly. Apparently the Astros made a pretty good offer. We should have taken it. Complete F up by the ownership(Rizzo had agreed to make the deal).

We need to nuke the roster and start over. Keep Soto and Robles, maybe Kiebloom. Our top 3 Ps are fantastic but expensive and we're better off clearing salary.

2 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Where did you see or hear this?  Because I really do think that's his future position.  Maybe as soon as Zimmerman retires.

He's a below average fielding outfielder.

On Twitter before games this year. Here's a article talking about it.

https://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/nationals-looking-move-juan-soto-first-base/496360

• Thanks 1

This is shaping up to be a “straw that broke the camel’s back” game.

Assuming Nats lose this game with 0 for 9+ with RISP, getting swept in 4 games by the pathetic Mets, I would not be shocked if this is the end of the line for Davey. 

49 minutes ago, PF Chang said:

Peak Nationals offense these first two innings.

1st inning: Can't score with 1 out and guys on 1st/3rd. 

2nd inning: Putting up a zero after a leadoff triple. 

4th inning: bases loaded, no runs

1 minute ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

This is shaping up to be a “straw that broke the camel’s back” game.

Assuming Nats lose this game with 0 for 9+ with RISP, getting swept in 4 games by the pathetic Mets, I would not be shocked if this is the end of the line for Davey. 

if thats what it takes...........LGM

the **** was Dozier thinking at the end?

• Like 1

I'd have to think this is the end of the line for Martinez right?  3 of your aces on the mound during a 4 game series and you're inches away from getting swept by the Mets.  It's clearly not all his fault but this team simply isn't playing for him anymore.

7 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Following on line...

Why was Howie ejected?

~~~

Wait.  I feel a pulse.

Home plate ump called him out on a check swing that he didn’t appeal to 1B, Howie took exception to it. Tossed him as he was walking away too, it was a cheapie. 

• Thanks 1