Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: Welcome to DC, Dylan Crews! (RIP TNL)

Riggo#44

2 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

There are some guys who need to either get more work or need to help out.  Grace and Sipp, i don't see their value. Venters either

I don't think so.  Like i said a few weeks ago, the nats need to go 9-5 against the braves.  If they do that, they only need to be 2 games better against the rest of the schedule which they can do

i still think its too early to start playing the "we need to go x amount" against anyone. just take care of business no matter the opponent. going 9-5 against the braves only counts if he we come correct against the others as well

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Yeah, its like we are just conceding this game to the Braves.  Although they are pitching Guaseman, who is coming back from injury.

Scherzer injury was ill-timed with the Braves series... original math to win the series was take the Stras and Scherzer games, win one of Corbin and Sanchez’s starts. Not too bad.

Huge swing after today’s game coming... we’ll either be 6.5 games back, exactly where we were three days ago only with 4 fewer games left to make up the gap, or we’ll be 4.5 back in legitimate striking distance. 

Guessing Fedde might be asked to get warm early in the game in the event Ross looks shaky. Need to figure out a way to steal this one though, getting as creative as needed to do it. And bats need to show up in a big way to get it done. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Scherzer injury was ill-timed with the Braves series... original math to win the series was take the Stras and Scherzer games, win one of Corbin and Sanchez’s starts. Not too bad.

Huge swing after today’s game coming... we’ll either be 6.5 games back, exactly where we were three days ago only with 4 fewer games left to make up the gap, or we’ll be 4.5 back in legitimate striking distance. 

Guessing Fedde might be asked to get warm early in the game in the event Ross looks shaky. Need to figure out a way to steal this one though, getting as creative as needed to do it. And bats need to show up in a big way to get it done. 

Agreed, However, I would have stared Fedde and had Ross warming around the 3rd or 4th to see how far he could go. 

30 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Even if we lose, road split with the Braves and still in 1st wild card spot is not a bad outcome.  With that said, let's hope our bats gets hot tonight for a series win.

We are in a great position, especially considering without Scherzer, on the road? We are doing well. A split here, against the 2nd best team in NL is nothing to sneeze at.

But yeah, lets kick them in the nuts and take the series.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

We are in a great position, especially considering without Scherzer, on the road? We are doing well. A split here, against the 2nd best team in NL is nothing to sneeze at.

But yeah, lets kick them in the nuts and take the series.

Great position if you’re ok with not taking the division. Head to head matchups are absolutely critical and will make or break the Nats efforts to catch Atlanta.

If, in the course of this 4 game series, we fail to make up any ground while reducing our remaining head to head opportunities from 14 to 10, it will make it really challenging to make up those 6.5 games the rest of the season (Atlanta’s schedule is a bit easier than ours the rest of the way). 

Overall I agree, a split on the road with Ross starting and no Scherzer isn’t anything to sneeze at. But it would definitely make it way harder to catch the Braves. 

I never thought we had a legit chance of pulling in close until after we made some deadline moves. The Braves are a slightly better, more well rounded team with our bullpen being the wildly inconsistent mess it is. I kind of envisioned us as another version of the 2015 Mets that could go on to take the division after some moves were made. We're better than they were pre deadline though. 

With 4-5 reliable pen arms, we would be a top 3 team in baseball easy, but we have one or two at most. Basically we're a legit championship contender until the 8th inning, which means we aren't there yet. It's pretty amazing how much our starters have accomplished for us, considering how intensely they've been taxed, and we've had very timely hitting as well. It's a really good team, but the pen and pen management keep it from being special. 

Edited by Bacon

2 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

I don't give a damn what Joe Ross gives up, but he is pitching 5 innings 

Not the game for that. If the game is close and he’s struggling, yank him. They kept McGowin up just to come in if Ross stunk. Fire that bullet ASAP if Ross starts giving up hits in the 2nd. 

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

We threw out our, what, #8 starter in an important divisional game against the second best team in the NL? What did we think would happen? 

Was there another option?