Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

1 hour ago, stoshuaj said:

If you (or anyone) had to pick one?.....

I’m leaning Strasburg but it admittedly a sucky question to apparently have to ask

Man, that is a tough question!  My brain tells me the elite starting pitching is always priority #1 but my heart tells me it will be so tough to replace Rendon.  He was so clutch for us in the biggest moments.  It’s easy to just say “Josh Donaldson will be cheaper!”  So will Madison Bumgarner.  So pick your poison ha

11 hours ago, spjunkies said:

I'm not understanding why they keep trying to get black Friday sales, you are rich with no salary cap so stop being so damn cheap. These players just got you a bloody championship 😡

They are not cheap, at least when it comes to players, but they do operate within a budget. We have consistently fielded a top 5-7 payroll for almost a decade. I might not like it, but I cant blame them for not going full Steinbrenner.

14 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

By a narrow margin, I'd go Rendon.  Having Rendon 3 / Soto 4 for the next few years is too good to pass up.  

Also have to factor that the DH is coming to the national league against everything that is holy. That allows for more value in a Rendon deal. His swing should age well 

I’d probably go Strasburg over Rendon, by a narrow margin. I think both of them will be really good players for the next 4-5 years.

If we can get Donaldson for only 3yr and $22m/yr or so, you’re getting like 80% of Rendon’s production at a fraction of the cost. The term of the contract is also important because you have Trea set to be a FA in 2023 and Robles/Soto in 2025. 

I assume some of the minor league starters they have in the pipeline will develop, but right now there’s no guy there you can look at and say “we’ll need to pay him big money in 3 years.” Their formula of having 3 topline rotation pitchers has proven successful in the regular season, and now has proven successful in the postseason as well. 

14 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Strasburg has a chance of aging better than Rendon, IMO.  

I think Stras has shown recently that he can age really well even when the heater loses luster (already lost a bit).  It's not that I think badly of Stras' chances, but I think really highly of Rendon's.  They'll probably both age really well.

If they let both go over pretending to not have enough $$$ it's unacceptable. They made SO MUCH money with this championship - new fans, merchandise, ticket sales to playoff games that will last more than just this year.

I will be extremely disappointed if they let both walk to be honest, title or not.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Sticksboi05 said:

If they let both go over pretending to not have enough $$$ it's unacceptable. They made SO MUCH money with this championship - new fans, merchandise, ticket sales to playoff games that will last more than just this year.

I will be extremely disappointed if they let both walk to be honest, title or not.

Letting both go would erode alot of the goodwill they have built up. They have to bring back at least 1 of the 2

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I think Stras has shown recently that he can age really well even when the heater loses luster (already lost a bit).  It's not that I think badly of Stras' chances, but I think really highly of Rendon's.  They'll probably both age really well.

Yes.  Stras has exceptional command.  He will make the transition well from a power pitcher to someone that has to mix it up a bit more.  When that fastball backs up into his changeup he might be in a bit of trouble, but thats years away.  And the changeup movement is so good, it might not even matter.

I saw a metric that Rendon's defense has already started to slip, just a little bit.  If I'm a National League team, that might give me some pause.  If I'm an AL team, I'd hope that he can perform adequately as a defender and then move him to DH in the later years.   

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Yes.  Stras has exceptional command.  He will make the transition well from a power pitcher to someone that has to mix it up a bit more.  When that fastball backs up into his changeup he might be in a bit of trouble, but thats years away.  And the changeup movement is so good, it might not even matter.

I saw a metric that Rendon's defense has already started to slip, just a little bit.  If I'm a National League team, that might give me some pause.  If I'm an AL team, I'd hope that he can perform adequately as a defender and then move him to DH in the later years.   

This one of the reasons why I'm okay with DH in NL.  Free agency planning is totally different right now.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

His and Scherzer's secondary pitches are so good, they don't need 97. They can make a living with 93-94. Stras averaged 93.9 with his FB and threw it a career low 48% of the time. His changeup and curveball are so filthy, he can go full Zack Greinke.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

His and Scherzer's secondary pitches are so good, they don't need 97. They can make a living with 93-94. Stras averaged 93.9 with his FB and threw it a career low 48% of the time. His changeup and curveball are so filthy, he can go full Zack Greinke.

Yep. I made the point yesterday that Strasburg at 180-200m is a much better investment than Cole at $240-260m (guessing figures but I've seen them in that range). Cole was clearly the more dominant pitcher this year, but how's he going to be when he's 34 and his heater tops out at 94-95 instead of 100? He'll be a totally different pitcher, and who knows how effective. That uncertainty doesn't exist with Strasburg. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215
  • Like 1

I’d bet the house Stras is back and Rendon leaves.

If you would have asked me before the season would Rendon sign long term here I’d say no way.  Especially if the Nats didn’t make the run to win it all.  I would have bet the farm he is gone.

So happy Howie is back!  Everybody is all in on watching what goes on with Stras/Rendon and we just got the guy who had the two biggest HR’s in team history for only 6.5 mill.  Such a bargain 🙌