Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll : Source of Massive Injuries the last 2 years

Malapropismic Depository

2017 and 2018 Season Injuries  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Cause of the roughly 25 players on IR, on each of the last 2 seasons ?

• Over the last 2 years, the majority of our injuries have been preventable. (Elaborate)
    • Over the last 2 years, the majority of our injuries have NOT been preventable (bad luck of the draw, coincidence, etc) Elaborate
    • It's something more sinister (part of a conspiracy, etc) Elaborate
    • Other (Elaborate)

I personally think it's because the Skins run a cup cake training camp. I think Swearinger called it out last year and that's why he's gone. 

I've said that's the thing that worries me the most about this team is the coaching. 

The coaching staff is soft and sounds like the team doesn't practice hard. Which can lead to more injuries in my opinion. 

21 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

I personally think it's because the Skins run a cup cake training camp. I think Swearinger called it out last year and that's why he's gone. 

I've said that's the thing that worries me the most about this team is the coaching. 

The coaching staff is soft and sounds like the team doesn't practice hard. Which can lead to more injuries in my opinion. 

I've believed now for a while that this is a part of it. Maybe a big part of it.

I also wonder if they are training incorrectly, valuing strength over agility. I think Jay's brother who ran the program was a power lifter or some such. Raw power is important, but football also involves a lot of torcing, bending, changing direction. So, my question is are they training hard enough and are they training in the way they need to? In addition, when practicing, are they practicing with sufficient intensity that they develop the endurance to deal with the rigor of the game.

On 5/9/2019 at 6:26 PM, SkinsGuy said:

I wonder if this will be as successful as when the Redskins brought in "outside consultants" to fix the fan experience at Fed Ex Field?

I think those guys lasted 7 months. Maybe we should start a pool or a poll to see how long these new consultants last? :)

The nature of the game in consulting is that you are only needed as long as there's a problem.  When the problem is evaluated and addressed, there's typically a second half to that consultancy that would be something like 'Who will implement'.  Sometimes the consultants try to implement their evaluations, however this isn't typically their specialty as much as their evaluation and identification processes.  Getting a shot at implementation doesn't reflect negatively on their primary function and really what they're supposed to be good at. 

I'd envision that they'll immediately identify key deficiencies and institute new in house policies to begin a correction where it's identified.  It's possible that there's system problems and we'd see additions to the staff first.  Recruiting and boosting talented staff to upgrade and correct deficiencies is typically what you'll do as a work in progress.

On 5/10/2019 at 6:48 PM, desertbeagle85 said:

That doesn't make sense.  If they're getting hurt before the season starts and during the season, that doesn't correlate to the degree of difficulty of training camp.  If you listen to the experts and more recently retired Skins, that's not it.  Cooley addressed this on his podcast and directly relates it to the training facility and staff that are #1 Understaffed #2 Antiquated.  They've already addressed this with Consultants that have made updates to the facility to include a new wing built into the current facility that includes new cryo chambers and advanced healing equipment.  Swearinger got cut for taking complaints to the media, undermining the coaching staff.  His actions were immature and repeatedly egotistical.  Maybe he had good intentions, however he was warned to keep complaints in house and his big mouth undermined the team and locker room. He just wanted to win, but he handled it terribly and they had to release him.  The coaching staff isn't soft, the game plan is Vanilla and Predictable.  Banging heads during the week doesn't have anything to do with preventing injuries.  That's a miss understanding.  A more accurate assessment would be that while practicing hard, the Skins Training Staff and facility doesn't help their players recover well and minor injuries turn into big ones that manifest the IR numbers.  These consultants will at least be able to make the proper correlations to the largest concerns leading to the massive injuries.

cryochamber.JPG.266db0bc1a79a20e64b2131dbe2d733f.JPG

2018 Adjusted Games Lost rankings just came out: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2019/2018-adjusted-games-lost-part-i

We actually saw a huge improvement this year, only 9th most injured team 😒.

Our offense was a special kind of depressing though:

No team had a bigger gap the other way than Washington, which had the most AGL on offense but the fewest on defense. They were followed closely by Jacksonville (next to last in offensive AGL, fifth in defensive AGL). Those two teams finished second and third on the list of most injured offenses on record, trailing only the 2016 Vikings.

Later this week we'll break things down by unit to just why teams like Tampa Bay, Washington, and Jacksonville finished as poorly as they did.

On 5/12/2019 at 11:42 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

Doctson

J. Allen

Guice

Represents each of the last 3 years that one of our Top 2 draft picks ended up on IR, or hurt for the majority of the season.

Hope they fix that this offseason.

Don't quote me on this but didn't 2 of the 3 on that list (Make it 3 of 4 is you count Montez Sweat) all have major health concerns & or injury's in college ? Seems like the Redskins draft philosophy is to really swing for the fence. High risk high reward kind of players. Doesn't suprise me though as this organization has never had patience under Snyder to build a team the correct way. They are getting better though, at least we don't jizz our pants anymore and sign a roster full of has been free agents.

5 hours ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Don't quote me on this but didn't 2 of the 3 on that list (Make it 3 of 4 is you count Montez Sweat) all have major health concerns & or injury's in college ? Seems like the Redskins draft philosophy is to really swing for the fence. High risk high reward kind of players. Doesn't suprise me though as this organization has never had patience under Snyder to build a team the correct way. They are getting better though, at least we don't jizz our pants anymore and sign a roster full of has been free agents.

Disagree partially.  They've been very safe in the draft in general the last several seasons.  They now have a lot of good players but not many/if any great players.  That's the definition of patience.  The way I say it is that gets you from poop to mediocre.  Getting from mediocre to great is hitting on guys like Doctson, etc... which we don't.

Didnt he already have injury issues? I mean, this seems more bad luck than anything, though it should be noted, again, that among many of the Skins issues that lead to lengthy injury reports, coveting talented, but potentially worrisome (health-wise) bargain players is one of the things that routinely bite them in the ass. Just ups the probability of something like this happening

42 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Isn't Foster pretty much the first injury to occur after the start of the thread, while the body count was at like 200, before the thread started ?

You’re right, but i need someone or something to blame, might as well be this :P who cares if it doesn’t make sense!! 

1 minute ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

New rule. We gon' practice in air casts, wrapped in bubble wrap, on a field of memory foam. #nomoreinjuries

Memory Foam.

That's a new one, and a good one. I think you're onto something.

Oh...and water-proof or water-resistant field. Apply a chemical film that causes every droplet of water to disintegrate, as soon as it hit's the foam field.

So, now it's weather-proof.

This injury is solely on the other Foster. Rumor has it that Reuben stayed over at Mason's house and got into a heated discussion with him last night about who was going to be the starter. Reuben had a few too many drinks and Mason offered Reuben his couch for the evening like the upstanding gentleman he is. The last words Reuben remembers hearing last night were from Mason Foster, he remembered them as clear as day "I'm the starter". When Reuben woke up this morning he noticed a strange scar on his knee but thought nothing of it, heck he was "dinged up" pretty much everywhere anyways so he figured he just never noticed this particular scar. Before practice today Mason Foster had a little more pop in his step and seemed more jolly than his usual self. Once the first play was snapped Mason was a little concerned and thought to himself "Did i mess the procedure up? It said on YouTube I needed to make a 4 inch incision...". When the second play was called there were two snaps on that particular play, and only one that brightened Mason Foster's day. With the team in complete disbelief over what just happened, Mason could be seen smiling and muttering to himself off on the sidelines "I'm the starter now". After practice concluded Mason drove home and found himself fascinated by Reuben and in deep thought he asked himself "How did he even run on that first play with a missing kneecap?" None of it made sense to Mason, but it didn't matter. When he arrived at home, neatly placed on his kitchen counter laid a 6 1/2" by 5 7/8" ziplock bag with Reubens kneecap inside of it. Mason looked at it while smiling, then proceeds to pull out his phone and text Will Compton who goes by "Baby Wolf" in his contacts. "The job is complete, I'm the starter now". 

A lot of folks voting that the injuries over the last 2 years were preventable, the major ones are Scherff's torn pec, Guice's torn ACL, and this one today.

I'm not sure how any one of those could have been prevented, Guice got tackled from behind by 500 lbs of man and today Foster torn his ACL in shorts.

I will say Cooley complained all year about the blocking techniques the O line was using, he routinely commented that he didn't understand why they were using the torque blocking so maybe that one can be related to coaching but the rest just seems like bad luck.

It seems like we target injury prone players an awful lot. The latest of course is Foster. How many years in a row will we bring back Lauvao? I am not sure anyone expected him to even last half a season.

IMO these personnel decisions have a hand in our injury woes.

I will also speculate Jay's play calling tends to large massive pileups after endless runs up the gut.  Bunching everyone at the LOS and then running AP for no gain is going to take its toll on our OL and the rest in the mass of rather ogre like humanity caught up in the wash. If he were to run from spread more I suspect that would result in more 1 on 1 blocking and thus less injuries.  Hurry up can also gas a D, and slow them down, but at the expense of more plays run.  Our OL getting decimated every year has to end.

Its not just man games lost. Its man games lost / snaps.  Jay's slow play offense has to have us on the low end of total plays run.

15 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

It seems like we target injury prone players an awful lot. The latest of course is Foster. How many years in a row will we bring back Lauvao? I am not sure anyone expected him to even last half a season.

It's a calculated and conscious gamble.

Low risk, high reward.

It seems like people were on the verge of calling it a genius move, until the injury happened.

But as cap-strapped as we were this pas offseason, did we really have any choice, other than to pursue damaged goods ?

Archived