Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Cut DJ Swearinger!

skinfan2k

3 minutes ago, redskins4ever28 said:

Can we ever do anything right? 

How much more of this are we supposed to take?

the Browns are now a contender, we have taken over as the laughingstock of the nfl

:rofl89:  They are not contenders.  They are a 7-7-1 team that is now eliminated from the playoffs.  It does appear that they have found their QB of the future and will be faced with some decisions as far as the coaching staff next year.  In 2019, legit playoff contender?  Sure, SB contender?  Not even close.  

And even as dysfunctional an organization as we are, with all the injuries year in and year out, we still have maintained being a legit playoff contender the past 4 years (making it in 2015 - winning division).

Sound off on the organization and fans, and then lie about the culprit to the media?  No problem, they got your back.  Repeatedly hold teammates and coaches accountable in the media after poor performance during games? They'll cut you, no matter how good you are.

That's Jay's message, for good or for bad. 

I think DJ was our best player in a weakish secondary.  If rumors are true that the front seven and secondary had issues, that makes this a little easier to swallow...but self serving rumors after an unceremonious exit are a little too common around here. 

Here are some teams that could claim Swearinger: 

eaglesc_logo.jpg Philadelphia Eagles: I'm sure Swearinger would love to go to a Redskin rival to get revenge. As it so happens, the Eagles play the Redskins in Week 17. Swearinger would provide an upgrade at safety and also provide some intel on Washington as he avenges the release. 

cowboysc_logo.jpg Dallas Cowboys: The Cowboys tried to trade for Earl Thomas earlier in the year, as they have obvious issues at safety. 

patriotsc_logo.jpg New England Patriots: This is the sort of move Bill Belichick would make. The Patriots have needed an upgrade over Patrick Chung for years. 

chiefsc_logo.jpg Kansas City Chiefs: The Chiefs need all the help they can get in their secondary. Eric Berry will eventually round into shape, but another safety is needed, as evidenced by Kansas City's attempt to trade for Earl Thomas. 

coltsc_logo.jpg Indianapolis Colts: The Colts have some injuries at safety, so they may want to shore up their secondary by claiming the former Redskin. 

saintsc_logo.jpg New Orleans Saints: Kurt Coleman plays about 15 snaps per game, but that's 15 snaps too many. Swearinger's presence would be able to get Coleman off the field. 

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/nflpossibilities.php#ixzz5adHymBuG

Mark me down as one who could care less he's gone and frankly glad.

For all of you stating he 'was one of our better players'- WE HAVE SUCKED FOR 25 YEARS! 

Contrary to the very racial 'King James' latest remarks about slave masters and that the NFL needs the OBJ's and Gurley's, who you kidding. The league sucks, the product sucks, kids aren't playing the game nor are they watching. For me, somebody who views life in a God-family-country-football mindset, to say I lost most interest in this product is saying something.

If it weren't for gambling, this game would be going the way of the dodo bird. Refs are terrible, rules are terrible and players are pampered. If you think I wouldn't watch the Redskins if they hired 52 scabs tomorrow your crazy. It's a tradition anymore, not a passion. I could care less who plays for them.

Again, good riddance DJ. I hope they cut the whole damn team if they blast the bosses. I think the coaches suck, look at my earlier posts from today alone prior to this news. But go F yourself if you think you could blast your boss in the media. 

At safety, there is no backup plan for Swearinger. Should free safety and 2019 free agent Ha Ha Clinton-Dix not return, the Redskins would be down two starters.

Montae Nicholson, the one potential replacement for Clinton-Dix, was suspended for the final two weeks of the season following a recent arrest for his involvement in an altercation. Nicholson also barely played after Washington acquired Clinton-Dix before the NFL trading deadline.

Troy Apke, a 2018 fourth-round pick, made zero impact defensively before landing on injured reserve. Deshazor Everett remains more of a special teams option.

Amazingly, the Swearinger-Nicholson tandem gave Washington its best starting safeties in years. This position more than any other on the roster compared to the drummer drama for the fictional rock band Spinal Tap. No matter whom the organization signed or drafted, the plan always exploded in their face.

That seemingly changed last season. Swearinger provided the secondary with an assertive presence. This season Swearinger turned in some of his better work, particularly early in the campaign, though concerns with his tackling inconsistency exist. He had two games with two interceptions including the Week 8 road win over the Giants.

Washington selected Nicholson in the fourth round of the 2017 draft. Injuries limited the Michigan State product to eight games during his rookie season, but he started six. His size combined with impressive coverage range stood out. Gruden called Nicholson the Jordan Reed of the defense because of how he positively affected game plans.

Yet his struggles this season led to Washington trading a 2019 fourth round pick for Clinton-Dix. The one-time Pro Bowler hasn’t produced at that level for the Redskins. The Swearinger release could swing leverage with any upcoming negotiations Clinton-Dix’s way.

Swearinger’s pointed criticisms Saturday were hardly his first in the public forum. Along with X’s and O’s concerns, he’s been a frequent critic of how the stay-medium Gruden runs practices during his two seasons in Washington. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/dj-swearingers-sudden-release-alters-redskins-offseason-plans

34 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

and the decision to not seek a trade was poor.  Ugh.... so freakin’ Redskins.  

We cannot really trade until the beginning of next season, since trade deadline has been passed.  So it would have been a future move, just like Alex this year. Move was made but not official until beginning of the season. So we would have had to pay him, baring suspension or whatever, and keep him.

Honestly, I don't get the point in cutting him now... Suspended without pay for one game would have been fine to me as well...

This is so monumentally and irretrievably stupid, I don't even have words for it. He had trade value. There was no harm to keeping him for one more game and then getting something for him in the offseason.

I don't like what he did and it would have been fine to suspend him for the last game as a message. But, since everything we do is in service of making Bruce and Co look better, we had to shoot ourselves in the foot to make it seem this was a bigger problem than it was. 

4 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Mark me down as one who could care less he's gone and frankly glad.

For all of you stating he 'was one of our better players'- WE HAVE SUCKED FOR 25 YEARS! 

Contrary to the very racial 'King James' latest remarks about slave masters and that the NFL needs the OBJ's and Gurley's, who you kidding. The league sucks, the product sucks, kids aren't playing the game nor are they watching. For me, somebody who views life in a God-family-country-football mindset, to say I lost most interest in this product is saying something.

If it weren't for gambling, this game would be going the way of the dodo bird. Refs are terrible, rules are terrible and players are pampered. If you think I wouldn't watch the Redskins if they hired 52 scabs tomorrow your crazy. It's a tradition anymore, not a passion. I could care less who plays for them.

Again, good riddance DJ. I hope they cut the whole damn team if they blast the bosses. I think the coaches suck, look at my earlier posts from today alone prior to this news. But go F yourself if you think you could blast your boss in the media. 

you seem to hate everything about the NFL?  So why the hell are you here bothering those of us who don't agree.  You criticize the refs, the league the rules, but the players who have to function in that situation are just supposed to shut up and take it.  That's bull****

6 minutes ago, carex said:

you seem to hate everything about the NFL?  So why the hell are you here bothering those of us who don't agree.  You criticize the refs, the league the rules, but the players who have to function in that situation are just supposed to shut up and take it.  That's bull****

Players have to function in this system??? Is it really that bad? World needs bartenders to.

I don't mean to bother anyone, just stated to mark me down as someone who could care less that we cut a loudmouth and I have no sympathy for NFL players who 'have to function in this system'.

Give me a league where everyone signs a waiver to play and I'll be subscribing tomorrow. Frankly, I'd be happier if OBJ didn't sign. Wouldn't bother me one bit.

20 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

:rofl89:  They are not contenders.  They are a 7-7-1 team that is now eliminated from the playoffs.  It does appear that they have found their QB of the future and will be faced with some decisions as far as the coaching staff next year.  In 2019, legit playoff contender?  Sure, SB contender?  Not even close.  

And even as dysfunctional an organization as we are, with all the injuries year in and year out, we still have maintained being a legit playoff contender the past 4 years (making it in 2015 - winning division).

Coming off 0-16, they're as close to being contenders as we are, which is bad enough.  

Archived