• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      Good afternoon Redskins fans!  I have once again been invited to sit in the relative comfort of the press box and shout my thoughts into the void via this blog.  As you watch the game today and see the rain  pour relentlessly from the heavens, know that I am safe and dry.  Know also that @Spaceman Spiff is out there somewhere, cold and unappreciated, rolling around in the muck trying to capture that perfect picture.  Maybe say a little prayer for his health (or laugh, whatever, I’m not judging you).  Also, be sure not to miss the pictures he posts on this site after each game.     

Before we get into today's Redskins game, I want give some thanks for more positive occurrences in DC sports.  Congrats to the Washington Mystics for winning their first championship.  Congrats go out to the Washington Nationals as well for reaching the world series.  These two teams (along with the Caps) are working hard to change the sports related mood around this town, and we're all happier for it. 

Lets move now into less cheerful topics, namely your Washington Redskins!  Yow know things are going bad, and I mean really dang bad, when your team has gone through three quarterbacks and two coaches and your not even half way through the season.  Today's fresh hell comes in the form of a specter of the our recent past coming to smirk at our misfortune.  Im talking of course of Kyle.  Kyle's spent the week assuring everyone that he isn’t holding a grudge, while very obviously holding a grudge.  “Everything else.”  You know what I’m talking about. 

If all he brought to town were his hurt feelings we wouldn’t have a problem.  Sadly, he’s arrived with an undefeated football team that the NFL says we have to play this week.  This feels entirely unfair. 

My generic key to the game:  Run the ball and stop the run.  The team (spoiler alert: 49ers) that does this today will win.   

Redskins Inactives  
      QB Colt McCoy  
      S Deshazor Everett  
      CB Josh Norman  
      RB Chris THompson  
      LB Josh Harvey-Clemons 
      G Wes Martin  
      TE Vernon Davis  

49ers inactives  
      QB CJ Beathard 
      WR Deebo Samuel  
      CB Ahkello Witherspoon  
      FB Kyle Juszczyk 
      T Mike McGLinchey 
      T Joe Staley 
      DL DJ Jones 

1st Quarter Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers

Callahan wasn’t playing around when he said he wanted to run the ball.  That first drive was all runs, and looked great... right up until they tried to pass the ball.  Hopkins missed the relatively short fied goal, because of course he did.     

Maybe Quinn isn’t a good choice to be returning punts?  Consider it.    

That second Redskins drive looked more like what we’ve come to expect from this offense.  Run for negative yards, pass dropped, and an unsuccessful screen pass.  A quintessential Redskins three and out. 

Passing yards this quarter:  Redskins 3. 49ers 9.  Are you not entertained?! 

Half Time Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers 

How happy are you to spend your Sunday afternoon watching this game?  Consider that some people paid money, to sit in a poncho, in the rain, to watch this game. 

It’s now time for those half time adjustments that our beloved skins do so well.  It’s unlikely the second half mirrors the first. 

3rd Quarter Update 
      Redskins 0 – 3 49ers  

Good news, this game will not end in a 0-0 tie.  Those half time adjustments have kicked in as expected and the 49ers have found a way onto the scoreboard in this messy throwback game.  The Redskins have decided to spend the second half collecting holding penalties and sadness.  Mercifully, only one quarter remains. 

End of Game Update 
      Redskins 0 – 9 49ers 

Callahan hasn’t spent much time as the head coach of the Washington Redskins, but he’s already proven that his team can waste 2nd half timeouts like a veteran.  It makes little sense to adopt a strategy that shortens the game when your team is losing, and it makes even less sense when your team is short on time outs.  I’m not really sure what the thinking as late in this game.    

Next week Kirk Cousins!   

skinfan2k

Redskins Cut DJ Swearinger!

There has to be more to this story than what we know, it's odd that after DJ's rant yesterday you had Jon Allen tweet that Manusky called a good game, Allen never tweets about the coaching but he made it a point to yesterday and by doing so was quietly saying not everyone on the defense agrees with DJ.

I trust the Bama boys, they have more talent, smarts, and maturity than dumbass Swearinger, I'm gonna wait to see what comes out before I start hammering Jay or the team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fordranger76 said:

Say what you will but this was the right move. His performance can be replaced. Hopefully the next guy is a professional.

We traded arguably the best slot corner (Fuller) before the season and now have cut a top 10 safety.  This organization is ****ing clown shoes.........

Image result for clown shoes animated gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Good for Swearinger. I completely agree with his assessment of the coaching staff particularly in this game. He now gets a chance to go to a team that can win a SB. I think he gets the last laugh. I can see the Cowbells getting him.

Just now, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

We traded arguably the best slot corner (Fuller) before the season and now have cut a top 10 safety.  This organization is ****ing clown shoes.........

Oh jeez, forgot about him for a minute.  I know we couldn't possibly have predicted Smith getting injured so terribly, now we're even thinner in the secondary for...well, basically nothing.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, RedskinsSerbia said:

Btw the fact that he got voted a defensive captain by the players, but Jay overruled that and made Mason Foster the captain is some next level BS.

We have a terrible defense full of terrible players, I want to know who voted for him, I doubt it was the talented players (interior D lineman) based on Jon Allen's tweet.

I totally get saying enough with this guy but cutting and allowing him to potentially join a playoff team is basically doing him a favor and your own team a disservice.  You can easily inactivate him, be tough in the press and then try to get something for the guy and send him somewhere he doesn’t want to be.  We can’t even do stupid things less stupidly.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Haha 2

This team is a joke, I merely watch because I'm naturally a dark dude and want to see how far down the rabbit hole we can go. Joke of a team, joke of an organization. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

that is so ****ing stupid.  There's been a lot of things I can accept, this isn't one of them.  I honestly don't know what to do with this.  If this coaching staff isn't back next year they shouldn't have been allowed to cut a guy who could be a key piece.  If the are, well why should the team respect them if this is the way they react to criticism.  I'm willing to bet even fewer free agents will be willing to look at them if this is the way they treat players.

Secondary is going to be a disaster next year.  Clinton-Dix probably won't re-sign after this,  Nicholson might not be here.  We're basically now at a point where we're undoing positive things we did. 

1 hour ago, fordranger76 said:

Say what you will but this was the right move. His performance can be replaced. Hopefully the next guy is a professional.

that's a laugh.  We've been looking for quality safeties sine Ryan Clark left

10 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Trick question, Patriots wouldn't of signed him.  BB prefers sheep, Brady is his only exception, for obvious reasons.  You don't jus join the Patriot way, you have to stay that way to stay there, like a cult.

He actually doesn't prefer sheep.  He prefers players who will give everything for the team and accept their roles will change on a weekly basis.  Here in Redskins Land, we give preference to big money and where you are drafted.  BB doesn't give a damn about that. You show in practice that you are the best and you play. 

1 hour ago, Heisenberg said:

It was a d-bag thing to do to keep going to the media with this crap week after week.  I can't believe anyone would feel bad for him.

4 teams already in his career and you can see why.

I don't give a crap about what he says about the play calling.  He is a top 10 safety.  Make an example out of him for running his mouth and fine him, bench him for the last game?  Absolutely.  Decide going into next season you no longer want him due to his remarks to the media and seek a trade?  Absolutely.  

What you don't do, it just flat out cut a top 10 safety in this league without trying to either 1]  fix the relationship/put him in his place or 2] trade him to another team for a draft pick

Even if he wants out or you think he wants out, you don't just give into that without first trying to get something for him in return.  Stupid ass FO and organization.

• Like 3

Dale Jr. commenting is good. If we can get Matthew McConaughey to turn too, along with any other high profile/celeb fans, maybe Snyder will hear us. Those are the only fans he interacts with. 

I wish I was fully joking. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

One question. Would the Patriots cut him after this? 

The Patriots would have cut him the first time he said something. The Patriots would have cut Mason Foster after he said F the fans and organization. The Patriots would have cut Norman after he had his headphones on during a coaches talk. They would have cut Norman again after he ran his mouth about the fans. That’s the culture the Patriots have established. The Redskins let all those things go and then cut Swearinger. It doesn’t make sense, which makes you understand why the Redskins did it.

Edited by Redskin4ever
  • Thanks 2

You can’t have a player calling out a coach.  From that standpoint it was the right move.   

Now the Redskins can scour the police reports for a replacement. 

• Haha 4

This point has already been said..But it’s still one VERY valid points I’ve read...Why in the hell would you let a probowl player(even if he’s causing locker room drama)walk for free??..Why cut him and receive NOTHING in return??..I get it,he called everyone out from coaches,players,fans,practice,film study,etc...but as a team in this league,it’s hard enough to find a player that can produce and keep,but to have one fill the void that’s been there for 10+ yrs and he rubs ya the wrong way so the answer is to get butt hurt,throw business sense out the window and “I’ll show him” but simply releasing him???..A playoff team could/would have given anything from a 3-6rd pick for him no doubt(unless it was the Cowgirls,then we could’ve squeezed a 1-2rd pick for him)..I’ve been a diehard skins fan my entire life but these last couple of seasons has truly tested me and my faith in this organization..Bad decision after just plain old bad decision is the absolute norm around here and it drives me f**king CRAZY!!!!..Good damn thing I decided against ordering my son the Swearinger Jersey for xmas and got him the laptop instead-SMGDH!!!!!! 

15 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Gruden had no choice. Even if everything DJ says is true, that stays in house to be dealt with.

He can go somewhere better.

When the coaching change occurs in 2020, most of our current roster will eventually be replaced.

He had to do something, but he could've just suspended him.  The message this sends is so stupid because it's not something unique to him.  Norman and Foster talk **** about the fans, but that's fine.  Swearinger talks about the practices and is angry about the playcalling, and he's fired just like that?  Come on.  Publicly admonish him, fine him, suspend him, whatever.  Don't condone other players' ****ty actions (both Fosters now that I remember about the sandwich one) by going 0-60 with a guy who busts his ass.

Did we just take a $5.3M cap penalty by doing this? We don't even have $5M in cap space available.

I'm interested to know how this affects our cap because he could have been released during the offseason for $1.3M.

1 minute ago, JSSkinz said:

Did we just take a $5.3M cap penalty by doing this? We don't even have $5M in cap space available.

I'm interested to know how this affects our cap because he could have been released during the offseason for $1.3M.

Or traded in the off-season for a pick. But the hammer came down too quick perhaps. 

5 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

He actually doesn't prefer sheep.  He prefers players who will give everything for the team and accept their roles will change on a weekly basis.  Here in Redskins Land, we give preference to big money and where you are drafted.  BB doesn't give a damn about that. You show in practice that you are the best and you play. 

That's why those teams barely have any talent or superstars outside of Brady, right? Especially the last decade? Moss was there for like one year because he basically promised not to talk.  Other teams joke about that place being the borg, Gronk is probably the only one there that doesn't have the personality of plywood.

DJ was guilty of caring a little too much and our coaches had no idea how to handle it, none.  Could a listen to him, make practices harder, more blitzing , but no double down on what ain't working for $300, Alex

1 minute ago, TK said:

Last thing DJ heard this morning...

The aristocracy better be careful for all the other plebs might start piping off if it gets them ejected from the kingdom