Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Cut DJ Swearinger!

skinfan2k

2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Is DJ really this ignorant?  He says "They spit in my face for giving my opinion". Does he not understand that he spit in the face of the organization by airing the dirty laundry through the media?  I never heard a coach talk to the media about DJ's missed assignments or bad tackles, or how his 90 PFF rating in week 8 has plummeted to a 79.8  over the last 7 weeks because he's been an average to below average player.

The Redskins FO is what it is, they are morons for cutting him but DJ is a joke of a man, it's interesting how a loudmouth who has shown his ass has somehow found a way to spin this as if he was a victim, thing is people will bite on it because Bruce and Dan are boobs, but it doesn't make it right.

This is a guy who's played for 5 teams and he isn't even 28 years old, but he's a great player?  Give me a break.

IMO, your **** is off by a mile. **** what he did in the past. He played well for this sorry ass team. Is it reasonable to be in a toxic environment and not let anyone know about it? 

Food for thought: Why the **** should a player keep something that's going to help the team win, if what he's saying is not being heard? Would you rather the defense just go out and play what they want in spite of what their ****ed up coach is calling? Just don't bring it up in the post game? Maybe. But oh let that **** happen and watch Gruden or Manusky have a goddamn Michael Singletary moment!!

One more thing: what person has to be perfect to speak the truth? Hell, for all intents and purposes, DJ was a whistle blower because he wanted **** to change for the better. But for most whistle blowers they're looked at as the villain instead of what truth they've exposed. Maybe someone should create a Michael Moore like documentary on all the ****ed up **** the Redskins do - this being one of them.

Bottom line: To fans that are used to mediocre football, keep thinking this makes sense. Continue to lose games (at home and embarrassingly on national TV every ****ing time they play), be laughed at, disrespected, and ridiculed by everyone outside of the DMV. Hell, DJ even said in his interview with Paulsen that he was at peace with being cut and hoped it would create some type of change to help his teammates succeed; to help this organization win. Never was he selfish in any way about what he was trying to get across to the coaching staff. It was about putting the defense in the best position to make plays. I don't know about you, but its what I want as a fan. But this coaching staff (and organization) is obviously not willing to listen during practice, in the games (no adjustments),  or in the locker room. So be it!!

Congrats DJ! Who btw choose this team as a FA signing. 

BTW, I wonder what the PFF rating is for the Redskins? It doesn't matter.....

**** this team.

All good points. But most disturbing is that every one of them agree that what DJ said was true. So as much as the Redskins want to keep their **** in the locker room. Their **** stinks more than the 295 in 110 degree weather. So cutting DJ means nothing. All it did was open up dialogue about your sorry ass organization. You should have listened to him and kept the mic out his mouth. But again, this organization is beyond help.

16 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

Food for thought: Why the **** should a player keep something that's going to help the team win, if what he's saying is not being heard?

So for you, the coaches are supposed to set precedent based on the words of a journeyman FS?  There is a difference between being heard and having the coaching staff completely change their style/approach/scheme to suit your thoughts.

18 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

Would you rather the defense just go out and play what they want in spite of what their ****ed up coach is calling?

No, the expectation of all players is to do what the coaches assign them to do - right or wrong.

20 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

what person has to be perfect to speak the truth? Hell, for all intents and purposes, DJ was a whistle blower because he wanted **** to change for the better.

21 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

Hell, DJ even said in his interview with Paulsen that he was at peace with being cut and hoped it would create some type of change to help his teammates succeed; to help this organization win. Never was he selfish in any way about what he was trying to get across to the coaching staff. It was about putting the defense in the best position to make plays.

Whistleblower? lol!  He turned into a whiny b#$%.

Never selfish?  are you for real?  He put his own damn ego ahead of the coaches and his teammates by throwing them under the bus not once, twice or even three times, but 4 times.  For all the hand-wringing about how soft Jay's style is, the last team he made the MISTAKE of throwing a player under the bus in the media it was with RGIII.

26 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

According to his tweet, he came here to take more guaranteed $$$$ and a chance to change the culture, and you are okay with him(or any player) doing that through media blasting teammates and coaches?  Not really any good will come out of player doing that, regardless of the organization structure.

For all your statements about being done with this team, you sure seem to be spending a lot of time blasting it.  Are there any more parting shots you have to get in?

1 hour ago, dav87sc said:

I understand and agree about trading him in the off-season and the seeming propensity of the team to get as little return as the can for assets.

I guess I just don't see this as any more of a "sky is falling" or "last straw of my fandom" happening that seems to be going around - not directed at you.

The deep rooted fan in me wants to hold onto something that is redeeming about this FO, and I would love to be able to truly believe there was a plan in place for the off-season to move him out in a trade, but going full blast in the media forced an immediate response.  But then again, part of me holds on to the belief in Santa Claus. :)

No, you’re right. This isn’t like losing Lebron or an elite talent. Me personally, I am ok with moving on from him. He was our best safety in years but not going to lose sleep over him being gone. I am more upset about not trading him than i am about losing him.

Maybe we should have cut Montae instead if PR is our concern. 

He will be out for 4-8 games, if not waived outright.  He barely played lately. Dix will certainly bolt now after witnessing the insanity and losing his buddy.  Maybe we will convert Norman to free.  Otherwise....we maybe could use Swearinger next fall. Just suspend his ass for week 16 like a normal team would and address him / DC in the offseason. Anger management classes.

Ok a random kick in the nut vision. We desperately reach on a free in the first who sucks and a QB taken right behind him dominates.  That would be so us. I am sure Bruce has already decided he wants a Bama Free.

2 hours ago, dav87sc said:

So for you, the coaches are supposed to set precedent based on the words of a journeyman FS?  There is a difference between being heard and having the coaching staff completely change their style/approach/scheme to suit your thoughts.

No, the expectation of all players is to do what the coaches assign them to do - right or wrong.

Whistleblower? lol!  He turned into a whiny b#$%.

Never selfish?  are you for real?  He put his own damn ego ahead of the coaches and his teammates by throwing them under the bus not once, twice or even three times, but 4 times.  For all the hand-wringing about how soft Jay's style is, the last team he made the MISTAKE of throwing a player under the bus in the media it was with RGIII.

According to his tweet, he came here to take more guaranteed $$$$ and a chance to change the culture, and you are okay with him(or any player) doing that through media blasting teammates and coaches?  Not really any good will come out of player doing that, regardless of the organization structure.

For all your statements about being done with this team, you sure seem to be spending a lot of time blasting it.  Are there any more parting shots you have to get in?

To answer your last question.....Yes.
You can protect a sorry ass team all you want. The Redskins deserve to be exposed for the ****ed up organization they are. You know it, I know it and everybody in sports know it. Hell even the players know it!! Hell, every time someone outside the fan base bashes the team, here come the delusional ones acting like defense lawyers or Redskins PR reps for the guilty ass Redskins. 

For the rest of your comments, I deduce that you have a mental governor that is not worth cracking. But I ask you these two questions and I'll leave it alone:

1. Can you give me one good reason why its not good for a losing, dysfunctional team to have their dirty laundry out in the public? (don't use your office space as an example. This is a ****ing sport. Its different)

2. Can you tell me why its not good to tell the truth to the public?

And also btw, you're reaching with that whiny ****. Don't worry about keeping up with my passion. Be yourself.

And like I said, its a love and now hate relationship. But rest assured, the Redskins deserve a **** slap for sure. See I can give a **** about political correctness or towing the line with a organization that refuses to be truthful with the fans, yet try to claim some bull**** ass code (about keeping things in the locker room). How about winning outside the locker room? I'm starting to feel like two **** slaps.

**** this team!!!

47 minutes ago, dyst said:

No, you’re right. This isn’t like losing Lebron or an elite talent. Me personally, I am ok with moving on from him. He was our best safety in years but not going to lose sleep over him being gone. I am more upset about not trading him than i am about losing him.

The damage done is not so much losing the 11th ranked safety who emotionally hated to lose and gave 110 percent on the field.  We could move on without him as we don't need quality above average DB's on this squad....cough, cough...but to not suspend him for the last game and try to get something for him was absolutely insane, but par for the idiot knee-jerk decisions our staff makes.  The real damage is that player morale dropped another notch and some of the 2019 Skins will be playing for paychecks only as it will be business only.  The tweets from some of the players show that Swearinger was well liked and they were shocked to say the least.  What he stated had merit and truth and showed there was a division between players and coaches on this staff.  How Swearinger expressed it was wrong but not worth being cut...we need pro bowl talent even if it is being an alternate.  The coaches don't have thick skin at this point. after a soon to be 7-9 season in Gruden's 5th year....The fans are sick of it, home attendance is proof and the last thing coaches need at this point is the players jumping on the bandwagon pointing out their mistakes.  Keeping Gruden next year will be more of the same again and will possibly be worse.  Kudos to Cleveland and their owner for having a better record than us and  a quick turnaround from a winless team and making a coaching change mid-season.  That how you do it....something our owner/ coaches don't grasp.  Should have promoted McVay last year.  Should have done a lot of things different.  You know its bad when players tell you they don't practice hard which leads to more injuries, and especially bad when players come off the field during a game and tell you what is happening and what will work or not work and then get ignored, only to result in the coaches being wrong.  Look what happened with Aaron Rodgers/ McCarthy  with disagreements and where is the coach now, Look how the Ram's players love McVay as he respects their input and listens and is described as a players coach by the players who surround him.  

12 hours ago, Bang said:

Jamie collins,,  up and coming linebacker drafted by the Patriots made a comment in the press about his contract. said he wanted to be paid like Vonn Miller.

Once.

The next day he was a Cleveland Brown. Bellichick traded him for that ONE comment to the worst team he could find,   for...   a compensatory pick the Browns didn't even know they 'd be awarded yet..  basically he said 'if you are granted the pick, we'll take it. If not. keep him anyway."

for one comment.

ever hear the pats players in press conferences?

Dull. Boring. Scripted. 

Usually after another win.

This 'discipline' stuff seems to work for them.

Every year this fanbase screams that our FO never does what winners do.

Until we do... then they scream it's dysfunctional.

Winners don't put up with this. 

~Bang

We’re not winners.

13 hours ago, Bang said:

Jamie collins,,  up and coming linebacker drafted by the Patriots made a comment in the press about his contract. said he wanted to be paid like Vonn Miller.

Once.

The next day he was a Cleveland Brown. Bellichick traded him for that ONE comment to the worst team he could find,   for...   a compensatory pick the Browns didn't even know they 'd be awarded yet..  basically he said 'if you are granted the pick, we'll take it. If not. keep him anyway."

for one comment.

ever hear the pats players in press conferences?

Dull. Boring. Scripted. 

Usually after another win.

This 'discipline' stuff seems to work for them.

Every year this fanbase screams that our FO never does what winners do.

Until we do... then they scream it's dysfunctional.

Winners don't put up with this. 

~Bang

Really dude? The Patriots in the same sentence as the Skins? Really? You really think the Redskins' first step towards being anything like the Patriots was to cut a guy that complained about not being able to practice harder? You really think the FO good ol' boys set in a meeting to analyze what the Patriots would do in this situation. This, over all the other ****ed up football decisions, all the poorly called games, all the undisciplined football you've seen over a decade. This was the one Patriot centric move that would put them on the path to winning football? Child please!

4 hours ago, Bang said:

While i still hold to my opinion of his value, the rest of it you are right.

Not my best day or my best efforts at being nice.

My apologies to you and the thread, and Merry Christmas.

~Bang

Very big of you to say that. I try not to be too combative, but when I feel my intelligence is being insulted, especially at one of the few moments where I am not being stupid, it tends to set me off. That's what I perceived you did, which in my experience is unlike you (though I disagree with you often, which is fine). So, I'll say I'm also sorry I took it to 100 so quickly.

Hope you're having a nice holiday season, too. 

Beat a woman?  Get signed by the Redskins.  Trash the fans and the franchise?  Get a "Who cares" from Gruden and start next week.  Beat someone on video?  Stay signed by the Redskins.

Rightly tell the truth in the wrong way?  Get cut immediately.

The worst thing about this, and the thing that shows that this is a trash franchise the most, is that even IGNORING the fact that a semi-competent franchise would have suspended and fined Swearenger as punishment, is that they literally just shot themselves in the foot by not just suspending him a game and getting an easy 3rd-4th round pick for him, clearly an emotional and irrational decision.

27 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

To answer your last question.....Yes.
You can protect a sorry ass team all you want. The Redskins deserve to be exposed for the ****ed up organization they are. You know it, I know it and everybody in sports know it. Hell even the players know it!! Hell, every time someone outside the fan base bashes the team, here come the delusional ones acting like defense lawyer for the guilty ass Redskins. 

For the rest of your comments, I deduce that you have a mental governor that is not worth cracking. But I ask you these two questions and I'll leave it alone:

1. Can you give me one good reason why its not good for a losing, dysfunctional team to have their dirty laundry out in the public? (don't use your office space as an example. This is a ****ing sport. Its different)

2. Can you tell me why its not good to tell the truth to the public?

And also btw, you're reaching with that whiny ****. Don't worry about keeping up with my passion. Be yourself.

And like I said, its a love and now hate relationship. But rest assured, the Redskins deserve a **** slap for sure. See I can give a **** about political correctness or towing the line with a organization that refuses to be truthful with the fans, yet try to claim some bull**** ass code (about keeping things in the locker room). How about winning outside the locker room? I'm starting to feel like two **** slaps.

**** this team!!!

I totally agree Joeken 24.  Love hate relationship is what this team and FO gives you to work with. You want to stay a die hard fan but they keep putting out the manure year after year.  dav87sc said "the expectation is for players to do what the coaches say, right or wrong"  Well, there is the problem as he did what the coaches expected ….over and over again with negative results....surprised it was only 4 times that he expressed displeasure....I expressed it many more!   Swearinger wanted to win badly and tried to get them to listen but was ignored and he kept playing as the coaches directed with the same idiotic results.  I would be frustrated too....as he stated that our talent wasn't as bad as the results were showing and he knew why.  The guy gave his heart and desire to win and even with the negative results, he ranked #11 in the NFL for safeties and made the Pro bowl as an alternate.  He must have a little knowledge of what is happening on the field.  I won't forget him yelling and waving Norman to move up on his receiver during the Texan's game  with 3rd and 9 to go, and Norman played back and was beaten on a 12 yd. pass for a 1st down ( just like 8 out of every 10 times) that extended the drive for a TD. His reaction showed his desire to win.  Our staff's ego did not allow his input and advice and he realized he was sailing with a ship of fools, but was man enough not to accept losing without a fight.  It is our loss again due to ego's and ignorance....it shouldn't take long to realize how many times we can't stop 3rd and long or how to close a game out. Week 16 of another year and were still going back to look at game film as we have corrections to make. After all these years, is this ever going to stop and will we ever be properly prepared for a game? Another thing, if Swearinger was sooo bad, why did the Cardinals jump on the chance to take him back?  A new team... Ok... but a team he recently played with??? They knew what they lost before and he must be doing something right.  One thing for sure, our coaches sure as heck don't know and Swearinger was right in my book to call it for what is was and be fed up with the ignorance if they didn't want to listen. What ever happened to "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me", and shame on me and shame on me, and over and over. Congrats Gruden for keeping your pride and ego intact and losing us a pro bowl talent because your defensive coach is clueless.  We don't need pro bowl talent in our defensive backfield....were good, our record proves it, as well as the withering attendance. I'm not one to burn my jerseys, but I think after this move, I might wipe with it.  How long does this joke go on?  It's Vinny Round 2.  The Redskins Rule: When the coaches don't know what they are doing with the talent they have, don't tell anyone and go down with the ship....keep quiet and remember that we need to get paid every year....its a business decision!  

40 minutes ago, TouchdownSkin said:

We’re not winners.

Yeah send them our way Belichick...we are worse than Cleveland now...Bang!

3 hours ago, joeken24 said:

IMO, your **** is off by a mile. **** what he did in the past. He played well for this sorry ass team. Is it reasonable to be in a toxic environment and not let anyone know about it? 

Food for thought: Why the **** should a player keep something that's going to help the team win, if what he's saying is not being heard? Would you rather the defense just go out and play what they want in spite of what their ****ed up coach is calling? Just don't bring it up in the post game? Maybe. But oh let that **** happen and watch Gruden or Manusky have a goddamn Michael Singletary moment!!

One more thing: what person has to be perfect to speak the truth? Hell, for all intents and purposes, DJ was a whistle blower because he wanted **** to change for the better. But for most whistle blowers they're looked at as the villain instead of what truth they've exposed. Maybe someone should create a Michael Moore like documentary on all the ****ed up **** the Redskins do - this being one of them.

Bottom line: To fans that are used to mediocre football, keep thinking this makes sense. Continue to lose games (at home and embarrassingly on national TV every ****ing time they play), be laughed at, disrespected, and ridiculed by everyone outside of the DMV. Hell, DJ even said in his interview with Paulsen that he was at peace with being cut and hoped it would create some type of change to help his teammates succeed; to help this organization win. Never was he selfish in any way about what he was trying to get across to the coaching staff. It was about putting the defense in the best position to make plays. I don't know about you, but its what I want as a fan. But this coaching staff (and organization) is obviously not willing to listen during practice, in the games (no adjustments),  or in the locker room. So be it!!

BTW, I wonder what the PFF rating is for the Redskins? It doesn't matter.....

**** this team.

Last time I checked, he was rated as the #11 safety in the NFL and just made it to the pro bowl as an alternate...but who needs pro bowl talent anyway? We are teaming with those in our defensive backfield.  Just ask Gruden.... we are so stacked in the D backfield and overall depth at all positions with pro bowl talent, that we don't need to seek any compensation or draft picks.  Swearinger was so poor in talent and attitude that The Cardinals jumped to have him on their team AGAIN.  They knew how terrible he was when he left the team and they jumped ay the chance to sign him so they could get him back as he was sooo bad.  They had to protect their last place finish in the NFC West and knew signing him would help them achieve last place again, but what do they know.   The Redskins are familiar with earning last place but Swearingers knowledge was noticed by our astute staff and he might prevent us from getting last place next year.  He had to go....he knew more than the coach and that might get us closer to 1st place...Good thing we have Gruden and B Allen to keep us at the bottom and get rid of the players who want to win. Such a crazy game!....its so hard to see the sneaky good players that try to undermine our goal to fail.... Good riddance DJ. Your desire to win, playing with all your heart, above average talent, and being a pro bowl alternate pick are not wanted or needed here.  If you would have just kept quiet and taken your losses for the team, and be a real loser, you might have been able to stay a part of this constantly declining franchise.  You could have enjoyed a future of being another face in the crowd, unknown by all and judged by those who did know you, as a loser.  But you blew it. Your intelligence and pro bowl talent were exposed and  now you had to go.   If you can, see if you can talk Trent Williams, Scherff, Jonathan Allen , Payne, Kerrigan and a few others to go with you....I feel they are not taking losing seriously and we don't need more of that.  We are destined to be in the NFL Hall of Fame, the National Football Losers HOF and Gruden, B Allen and Snyder will get us there!

I don't defend Swearinger for sharing the truth so publicly, but I also won't defend a front office that has no idea how to properly handle these situations. And what Swearinger said about practices is true, which is even worse than a DC screwing up even a basic approach to attacking a backup QB.

A question...   I DO think DJ is right in his assessment of practices. (Although dead wrong in his chosen venues to vent.)  it burns me every time i see them in training camp doing walk thrus and shorts/shells 2 hand touch... followed of course by a slew of injuries in season.

How in line are we with the CBA rules? I know the CBA prohibits a lot of what used to be normal practicing..  so do we go lighter than that, or do we stay within guidelines?

~Bang

5 hours ago, joeken24 said:

Really dude? The Patriots in the same sentence as the Skins? Really? You really think the Redskins' first step towards being anything like the Patriots was to cut a guy that complained about not being able to practice harder? You really think the FO good ol' boys set in a meeting to analyze what the Patriots would do in this situation. This, over all the other ****ed up football decisions, all the poorly called games, all the undisciplined football you've seen over a decade. This was the one Patriot centric move that would put them on the path to winning football? Child please!

well, none of that is what i said.. i did not say "this puts us on the path"...  more like,, what DO winners do in this situation?

The most successful organization over the last 20 years is ruthless when it comes to maintaining discipline.  as such they are highly disciplined, and have a thing known as the patriot way that is very much part of that discipline. And that seems to me to be a good philosophy. 

That is what my example was to illustrate. 

This group is constantly yelling we don't do the things these teams do..  and then when we do it turns into the Worst Thing Ever since last week's Worst Thing Ever.

And yes, i do think that smart tams try to emulate success. Maybe not to sit down per situation and say 'what would NE do.." but what they do is noted. it's a copycat league. Whatever works will be utilized by others.

I am not going to compare and contrast this move over 20 years of dysfunction, that doesn't make any sense. I agree with this move largely because i think it sends the right message, and i don't think holding on to whatever value folks think we can get is worth making that message any less clear.

He just went to the worst team in the league. Lets see if he sticks this time.

Any bets?

~Bang

16 minutes ago, Bang said:

I agree with this move largely because i think it sends the right message, and i don't think holding on to whatever value folks think we can get is worth making that message any less clear.

The message: "Embrace the suck"

The same message the front office has been sending the fans for years through their hilarious Ineptitude.

19 minutes ago, Bang said:

He just went to the worst team in the league. Lets see if he sticks this time.

Any bets?

~Bang

My bet would be that regardless of what happens with Swearinger the Cards will have more wins than the Redskins over the next decade, just like the last 2 decades.

55 minutes ago, Bang said:

I agree with this move largely because i think it sends the right message, and i don't think holding on to whatever value folks think we can get is worth making that message any less clear.

Thom Loverro had a nice article regarding the kind of message this is sending. You can find it in BHRBN.

But basically I can sum it up like this:

- Beat a women and charged for it? That's OK for Redskins' FO.

- Complain about Fans and Organisation? That's OK for Redskins' FO

- Get arrested for DUI and assault? That's OK for Redskins' FO.

- Complain about playcall? That's your ticket out of here.

I could be ok with the move as well if it wasn't lost in a sea of total dysfunctioning. We're signing Reuben Foster a few days after his arrest, then we cut Swearinger because he complained once too many? That doesn't go along very well...

Want to be taken seriously?

Then cut Foster

Cut Norman as well for his comments about fans and such.

Cut Nicholson (thought they did something here, while Godell bailed the Redskins' FO on Foster's case).

Cut Mason Foster as well.

Then OK, your Swearinger move makes sense.

But as you said in your Jamie Collins example, at least Bellichick tried to get something out of Collins. Which we didn't. Sure trade deadline is well behind us, but we could still have worked something, even for a conditional 7th round pick. Maybe better, who knows? just to get our pick from HHCD back would have been smart here.

Lost in all this is our PR stunt happening right before Christmas, a time not typically reserved for releasing players, short of the most egregious of actions. Sure, we really needed to get ready for next week.... wait, we actually don't.

I think you can take any PR related action the team undertook this season, and do the exact opposite, and do better at PR than Dan and Whyllie do.  We may need opposite George. No, not Jeff George.  Heh actually he will probably still have a stronger arm than our QB next spring.

It needs to be said. Our front office sucks.

I was trying to understand if our problems were born of stupidity or because of the way the FO works.  Turns out the difference between dysfunctional and incompetent doesn't really matter when your FO is both. Ours is both: the smoke-and-mirrors with Doug's phantom VP position (just to make the owner feel good about some nostalgia in the bldg); the hubris of the team president, who is laughed at by basically every FO and agent in the league, but has been especially adept at ingratiating himself with Snyder (the other ownership partners aren't so blinded by the legacy name); meddling with a coach who shouldn't be a HC, thus making his job all the more difficult........there's so much more, and it all needs to be dismantled the way Cleveland has done it.

Side point on this issue, doesn't sound like the other players in the secondary sans Swearinger and Norman are film fanatics and heard multiple times Swearinger helped Dunbar and the rest of the secondary with it.   Hopefully, the next dude whomever it is does the same considering all the young guys in the secondary

I generally dislike Kellerman and still do and don't agree with him on the team name issue but his rap about the team's inconsistency as for how they approach players and he finishes by saying he feels sorry for Redskins fans.

Archived