Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Cut DJ Swearinger!

skinfan2k

1 hour ago, dyst said:

It would have been much better to suspend him, which sends a message in of itself and then trade him as soon  you get the chance. 

Cutting him and getting nothing valuable for him is about as dumb of an option as you can take, especially for a team lacking in talent and tradable assests.

This move right here is a huge reason why we never build anything. You don’t cut the guy...you trade him.

This!  Both you and @BatteredFanSyndrome are saying the same thing. In fact there have been really good posts in this thread and a lot of repetition in terms of the same thoughts. 

I hated losing DJ but he just couldn't keep it in house. You can't have that sort of behavior and NOT have a split locker room IMO.  But to NOT get anything for him, is ignoring the business side.  Inexcusable.  You sit him down for the last game and you trade him in the off season.  In fact let the **** die down.   It is like we have a butt hurt overly sensitive front office clown show in operation.  

The **** with other players we have let go, IS personal.  It is low emotional IQ stuff.   This is just another reason this franchise will never change with the current, "leadership" in place.  

1 hour ago, dyst said:

Hello,

Yea Packers here. We have a running back who goes out there and doesn’t run the plays the coaches call and is a malcontent. We’d like to trade him if you are interested?

Hi Packers, this is the Ravens. Best we can do is give you a 7th round pick. Let us know.

Ravens?, Hi...Packers here again. Ok, we accept your 7th round pick because a 7th round pick is better than losing him for nothing and we are not that stupid of an organization.

Hi!

Trade deadline calling. i hope i don't need to explain the difference of a trade made in season to a team in desperate need of a RB  before the deadline, and trading a guy in the offseason after such an outburst.

Oh hang one,, someone else here..   future free agents looking for a team with a stable locker room. Want to talk to them or not?

~Bang

I think it’s been mentioned before, but the Redskins got a pick for Sua Cravens who quit. He walked out on his team, which is probably the worst thing you can do to your team. Someone would have given something for Swearinger. Even if it’s a 7th round pick. There could have been some value to recoup. And even if there were no takers, you can cut him later. The suspension would have allowed them to try to get something back. 

Going back to draft night, I really wanted us to take Derwin James. I like Payne and think he was a solid pick, but James is a game changer and the closest thing to Sean Taylor I've seen. I accepted passing on him though, because I figured we were in good shape at the position with a still young Swearinger & an improving young Nicholson. Now we have no Swearinger, Nicholson's status with us is in doubt and the joke known as Ha Ha Clinton Dix shouldn't even be under consideration for a return here. This move just magnifies my disappointment in not taking James because not only is he already a Pro Bowl safety, but we obviously really need him now.

2 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

I think it’s been mentioned before, but the Redskins got a pick for Sua Cravens who quit. He walked out on his team, which is probably the worst thing you can do to your team. Someone would have given something for Swearinger. Even if it’s a 7th round pick. There could have been some value to recoup. And even if there were no takers, you can cut him later. The suspension would have allowed them to try to get something back. 

Cravens was still an unknown. DJ is now a talent 4 teams have moved on from. Not sure anyone would have given anything at this point. 

56 minutes ago, Bang said:

Hi!

Trade deadline calling. i hope i don't need to explain the difference of a trade made in season to a team in desperate need of a RB  before the deadline, and trading a guy in the offseason after such an outburst.

Oh hang one,, someone else here..   future free agents looking for a team with a stable locker room. Want to talk to them or not?

~Bang

Every time an opportunity comes up to make big a decision, the Skins almost always make the wrong one. The proof is in their record.

Now as a fan, I sit back and wonder how can this team be so stupid, so short sighted as often as they are but I can never come up with an explaination. 

The Redskins are just a terribly run organization by a bunch of people who have no idea how to run a football team. We can argue semantics all we want but the proof is in front of us. 

This was a stupid move, among countless other stupid moves, made by stupid people. The fact that Jay, Allen, Snyder and whoever else at Redskins park supported the move to cut him rather than discipline him and then quietly work behind the scenes to trade him only goes to show how far behind the game we as an organization are and the ineptitude we have making the football decisions. 

Well, not the way I would have handled it. You have to pay a price for shooting your mouth off about the boss but I think for a first offense, you give a fine and a few game suspension. Bring the player and his agent for a talk and remind him his job is to play and not coach. If you had a team loaded with superstars and you were a super bowl team then I could see us ditching the guy but we do not have that luxury as we need every good player we can get. Merry Christmas all.

Jamie collins,,  up and coming linebacker drafted by the Patriots made a comment in the press about his contract. said he wanted to be paid like Vonn Miller.

Once.

The next day he was a Cleveland Brown. Bellichick traded him for that ONE comment to the worst team he could find,   for...   a compensatory pick the Browns didn't even know they 'd be awarded yet..  basically he said 'if you are granted the pick, we'll take it. If not. keep him anyway."

for one comment.

ever hear the pats players in press conferences?

Dull. Boring. Scripted. 

Usually after another win.

This 'discipline' stuff seems to work for them.

Every year this fanbase screams that our FO never does what winners do.

Until we do... then they scream it's dysfunctional.

Winners don't put up with this. 

~Bang

If that were the standard sure, but it ain’t. 

Mason Foster, Norman, and others have ****ed publicly without even a batted eye. 

I saw Swearinger in the mold of Deangelo Hall who came here with a sordid reputation but evolved into a leader.  DJ was playing well and was trying to raise the standard of effort and play. 

Again, I’d be okay with a suspension or even a fine, but the abruptness of the firing after Gruden’s milquetoast response in the presser makes this feel a PR move vs a disciplinary one. 

Ultimately, it be that the Redkins’ FO just have used up their benefit of the doubt.

Trent Williams and Dunbar have criticized the cut/agree with Swearinger's comments. Guess they are next on the chopping block.

11 minutes ago, Burgold said:

If that were the standard sure, but it ain’t. 

Mason Foster, Norman, and others have ****ed publicly without even a batted eye. 

I saw Swearinger in the mold of Deangelo Hall who came here with a sordid reputation but evolved into a leader.  DJ was playing well and was trying to raise the standard of effort and play. 

Again, I’d be okay with a suspension or even a fine, but the abruptness of the firing after Gruden’s milquetoast response in the presser makes this feel a PR move vs a disciplinary one. 

Ultimately, it be that the Redkins’ FO just have used up their benefit of the doubt.

What benefit of the doubt are you referring to? Did they earn that while I was stranded on island at somepoint?

Thanks to another ES member yesterday I heard the replay of what DJ said on the radio about Gruden calling him in the office and firing him.  At first he seem shell shocked and as the interview went on he seemed to be accepting his fate.   I really thought he went to the press so they would release him but now after listening to his comments I do not think he ever thought he was close to being fired when he made his comments after the game.  Since he was an alternate to the Pro Bowl I think he assumed that he could speak out and there would be no repercussions.  But also I believe he knows number 24 will be leaving after next Sunday's game too.  Josh contract is too high for Skins to keep him and who wants to be on a team that is in full free-fall mode?  Recruiting free agents to come to this team will be no easy task unless Snyder brings out wheel barrows full of cash on his jet when he flies to pick up prospective free agents during the off-season.  We always win in the off-season right?!!

1 hour ago, Bang said:

It is amusing to think we could GET a ham sandwich.

And this comes directly thru the Random Fan GM pipeline.

~Bang

Damn man, it’s like you’ve turned heel.  Constantly defending this **** show of late.  

Sadly, the Random Fan GM pipeline would actually be a step up for the gang of losers pulling the strings in Ashburn.

Norman and Foster called out fans, not plays called. (and in fact, Norman did so while PRAISING fans in Tampa's stadium.  Norman called out home fans selling their tickets.

Players can sit and complain about fans to each other all day long,, matters not.

Let them sit there and critique coaches and soon you have guys who don't listen to coaches, who think they have other guys who know better.

Totally, completely, entirely different than ****ing about fans (especially classless assholes who jump on Foster's feed and get very personal. I don't think he should have done it, but it isn't damaging to the team like a guy calling out coaches is. )

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Damn man, it’s like you’ve turned heel.  Constantly defending this **** show of late.  

Sadly, the Random Fan GM pipeline would actually be a step up for this gang of losers.

:) Merry Christmas BFS.
It's not about defending this **** show..  in fact it's about going forward.

we have a LOT of young players we have drafted since the gruden era began,, and they will survive whatever changes come this offseason.

BUT, they must remain intact as a unit, no discord, no divide, no mutineers.

ask me what i believe in, and it's Jonathan Allen, daRon Payne, Matt Ionaidis, Shawn Dion Hamilton. Ryan Kerrigan, Ryan anderson, Brandon Scherff, Darrius Guice and believe it or not, Josh Doctson. .. these guys will be our core.

This is what is important. 

Gruden, Allen, any of them may be gone. The players we're building around must remain and provide bedrock.

This is why DJ has to go. This team needs leaders. 

DJ is anything but.

~Bang

4 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

There is no denying DJs talent but it was clear that he couldn't keep his trapper shut and loved "me some me". Locker room cancers have to be cut loose because insubordination in the ranks never turns out well in a team environment.

Well given the reaction of the locker room I guess either coaching staff or the rest of team roster need to be cut loose.  BTW is a player still a cancer if the coaches are removed?  

1 hour ago, Bang said:

It is amusing to think we could GET a ham sandwich.

And this comes directly thru the Random Fan GM pipeline.

~Bang

Actually, what's funny, and it borders on hysterical, is the extent to which you think you just KNOW the he had zero trade value and that it wasn't worth it to find out, and boy aren't we all stupid for not knowing how right you are.

It would have cost the team literally nothing to wait a week so they could find out if a 27 year old Pro Bowl alternate who's clearly greatly respected by his teammates and who's great crime was criticizing game plans and lax practices would have garnered something on the trade market. But, no, we shouldn't have spent nothing to find out, because the almighty Bang just KNOWS he wouldn't have. So anyone who thinks we should have waited isn't really smart enough to be a fan. 

Don't choke on that hubris.

47 minutes ago, Bang said:

Jamie collins,,  up and coming linebacker drafted by the Patriots made a comment in the press about his contract. said he wanted to be paid like Vonn Miller.

Once.

The next day he was a Cleveland Brown. Bellichick traded him for that ONE comment to the worst team he could find,   for...   a compensatory pick the Browns didn't even know they 'd be awarded yet..  basically he said 'if you are granted the pick, we'll take it. If not. keep him anyway."

for one comment.

Dull. Boring. Scripted. 

~Bang

Apart from the silliness of claiming getting value for letting a player go is the exact same as not getting value for letting a player go, your characterization of that trade is just wrong. Collins was dealt for a 3rd round comp pick that everyone knew they were going to get, and if it wasn't conveyed the Patriots would have gotten Cleveland's early 4th round pick. 

If you're going to act like you know everything, you should at least know some things. 

Well I'm not suprised. You don't get to call out people in authority positions unless you are really good. Which he is not. 

But it doesn't matter. This team is headed for a slow downward spiral. 

We really need to hit the reset button this year and next; getting a late pick for a disgruntled but decent player on a manageable contract would've been a good start. 

The Raiders are following the Browns blueprint and will be better than us in a couple years as we sift through 6-10 and 7-9 seasons of mediocrity for the next decade. 

5 hours ago, Bang said:

Y'all backing this guy don't realize that no matter what, no matter who gets fired, these young players we've been drafting to build this defense will need to remain as much of a solid cohesive unit as is possible through the tumult. As if watching Snyder play fantasy football didn't teach anyone anything about how to build.. and how not to build. Right now our defense is building the right way. So which do you keep? The talent you're growing, or the guy you rented?

Cohesion is key, this season must end with the players looking at next year regardless of what else goes on around them. 

And to do that, you can't have a mouthy guy who can't listen when he's told to stop.. who can't play team ball, who points fingers and throws blame.

Dude went on the radio and threw Jonathan Allen under the bus.

Next year Allen will be wearing a Captain's patch on his jersey.

DJ might be wearing his fifth jersey in 7 years.

Who do YOU follow? Who earns YOUR respect?

~Bang

This post is exactly why dj had to go. Even if management reacting to a bruised ego, they are subconsciously protecting the team in the long run and supporting the young and talented players that will be the conerstones of future teams. 

This makes Jonathan Allen look like gold and to a lesser extent, his Alabama teammates. Those guys will now be the leaders in the locker room and it's fortunate because they are the most talented as well.

It is important to remember that in teamplay, cohesive teams with sub par game plans are still better than great game plans that no one is on the same page with. 

I do disagree on what we could've got for him though; bad teams will make poor decisions when they need players. I don't really like dj but his performance and contract were reasonable. 

1 hour ago, Bang said:

Once.

for one comment.

Dull. Boring. Scripted. 

~Bang

That’s true but we’re not winners. We’re not the patriots and we never will be, unless they clean entire house. This situation was poorly resolved by Redskins management just like many other things. The Patriots would also never sign Foster and they would have dropped Nicholson immediately. DJ will be missed in the backfield, are you ready for Troy Apke to get Burned next year? 

Archived