Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lock up Josh Johnson now

Tsailand

Fellas, the Redskins are making a mistake with Josh Johnson.  It's the same mistake we made in 2015, though on a smaller scale.

They have taken a QB with little or no value, and given him a great opportunity to increase his value by starting, but without getting any future control over him in return.  This means all of the QB's increased value accrues to him, and none to the Redskins.

In 2015 it was with a QB, originally considered backup quality, who got to put 16 games and 4000 yards on film, firmly establishing himself as starter quality. We know how that turned out.

Here in 2018, it's a guy who was considered below-NFL-quality, which is why he was playing charity basketball a month ago.  We're giving him four games and he's looked... OK at times.  Not Tom Brady or Drew Brees, heck not even Andy Dalton. But he will have teams interested in bringing him on as the backup QB in 2019.  And we'll be stuck with Buttfumble and two crippled QBs.

If the Redskins had a GM right now -- a real GM --  he would offer Josh Johnson a contract now, before week 17.  Signing bonus of a million, half a million, whatever it takes to get him to sign the paper immediately.  He's only made $7M after 11 years in the NFL, so it might not take much.

2019 salary (non-guaranteed except for injury) could be a couple million, with the usual incentives for performing well if he becomes the starter. Non-guaranteed means that if he gets beat out in training camp 2019, we cut him and pay nothing beyond the signing bonus.  I would want the contract to include a 2020 salary also, say $3M to $4M.  Most likely you cut him before 2020, but if he's somehow still playing well, great, you have a backup QB at a reasonable price.

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

First we need to pray Bruce is gone, then see if there is a coaching change.   

Then we we can figure out the stop-gap QB. 

The problem is that leaves us bidding against all the other teams that need backup QBs, most of which are not dysfunctional like we are.

The correct move is to pay Josh a little money now to keep control of him, so the new GM Will have an opportunity to evaluate him.  If the new GM doesn't like him, he could probably even trade him for a 6th round pick or whatever.

6 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Is JJ going to play in the new league starting in Feb? He was drafted #1. 

Huh.  Interesting, I don't think there is anything stopping him from playing in both, besides the risk of injury.

Of course, if we extend him now, we could put language in the new contract prohibiting him from playing in the AAF.

Small potatoes.

(See what I did there?)

I like JJ.  But there are a lot of other things this team needs to worry about.  I'd be good with drafting a QB, having JJ the short term starter and figuring out how to get rid of Smith and Colt. 

I dunno.  I'm tired of thinking about the Redskins QB situation.  Like, it makes me want to take a nap.

6 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

The problem is that leaves us bidding against all the other teams that need backup QBs, most of which are not dysfunctional like we are.

The correct move is to pay Josh a little money now to keep control of him, so the new GM Will have an opportunity to evaluate him.  If the new GM doesn't like him, he could probably even trade him for a 6th round pick or whatever.

He wasn’t even on a roster until December.  I don’t want Bruce making a decision on backup QB if he’s going to be gone.

Now, if it’s already known he and Jay are both coming back, then sure.  

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don’t want Bruce making a decision on backup QB if he’s going to be gone.

Giving Josh a tiny amount of money to keep him under control isn't making a decision.  It's simply preserving him for the next GM to make a decision on. 

2 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

Giving Josh a tiny amount of money to keep him under control isn't making a decision.  It's simply preserving him for the next GM to make a decision on. 

As much as I like him, he's not indispensable.  We don't need to pretend that he is.  

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Lock up JJ? Man, lock yourself up and throw the key out the window.  That dude sucks and will be 33 beginning of next season.  He should be competing for a roster spot, not promised one with a contract, he's terrible, just a good story, don't get sucked into the hype.

Did JJ pee on your rug?

1 minute ago, Tsailand said:

I honestly don’t want Brice to do anything but pack his office.

And on your scenario it’s not that little amount of money. 

And finally, if I was JJ, I’d wait and weigh my options.  If he signs a low money deal and there is a coaching change (doubtful but who knows) then he’s an easy cut.  He’s put some good film out there.  He’s going to get invited to camp somewhere. Might as well weigh your options. 

A million dollar signing bonus plus multi-million dollar salary for Josh Johnson? WTF? Teams are not going to be lining up to sign this guy. Being better than Captain Buttfumble is hardly a qualification for greatness, and the team is averaging, what, 16 points a game with him? I'm fine with signing him up for next year, but it could be done for a modest bonus and vet min.

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Did JJ pee on your rug?

No, I'm getting ahead of this sob story because my head knows it won't end well.  We all know it won't end well, great guy, I hope he doesn't get fully exposed next week as I'll be there in person rooting for him.

5 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

I'm fine with signing him up for next year, but it could be done for a modest bonus and vet min.

OK, fair enough, maybe I am overestimating how much it would cost. 

My point is, you do it now rather than bidding against 31 other teams.

He has had an “ok” run with us, but I wouldn’t be too worried if we lose him. 

This is what we have fallen to as Redskins fans that we are trying to find a way to keep a guy who is on his 13th team.

As for teams lining up to sign him. Eh, I wouldn’t bet on it. He has been on 13 teams, is older, isn’t necessarily having amazing games with us (though they are decent) and hate to say it, he is a black QB and those guys don’t get the same pass as dudes like Bradford, Buttfumble, Pederman etc. 

I’m not sure the market will be that ferocious for him. I’d keep him to compete for a spot so I agree there since we are cooked at QB next year.

I'm not entirely sure why you feel there's going to be a bidding war for his services based on a few games where he didn't look incompetent but let's assume for a second you're right. 

Why would he sign an extension right now if there's going to be a bidding war for his services?

also how many times have you seen a player sign any type of contract extension with a week to go in the season?

I honestly can't recall it ever happening, its kind of an absurd suggestion to be honest, it's never gonna happen even if we wanted it to.

1 hour ago, Tsailand said:

Fellas, the Redskins are making a mistake with Josh Johnson.  It's the same mistake we made in 2015, though on a smaller scale.

They have taken a QB with little or no value, and given him a great opportunity to increase his value by starting, but without getting any future control over him in return.  This means all of the QB's increased value accrues to him, and none to the Redskins.

In 2015 it was with a QB, originally considered backup quality, who got to put 16 games and 4000 yards on film, firmly establishing himself as starter quality. We know how that turned out.

Here in 2018, it's a guy who was considered below-NFL-quality, which is why he was playing charity basketball a month ago.  We're giving him four games and he's looked... OK at times.  Not Tom Brady or Drew Brees, heck not even Andy Dalton. But he will have teams interested in bringing him on as the backup QB in 2019.  And we'll be stuck with Buttfumble and two crippled QBs.

If the Redskins had a GM right now -- a real GM --  he would offer Josh Johnson a contract now, before week 17.  Signing bonus of a million, half a million, whatever it takes to get him to sign the paper immediately.  He's only made $7M after 11 years in the NFL, so it might not take much.

2019 salary (non-guaranteed except for injury) could be a couple million, with the usual incentives for performing well if he becomes the starter. Non-guaranteed means that if he gets beat out in training camp 2019, we cut him and pay nothing beyond the signing bonus.  I would want the contract to include a 2020 salary also, say $3M to $4M.  Most likely you cut him before 2020, but if he's somehow still playing well, great, you have a backup QB at a reasonable price.

Why sign a journeyman QB who's played for 12 teams when we could bring in a QB like Kaep who has Super Bowl experience?  Kaep is better than every QB on our roster and can have a full offseason with us.

Considering McCoy and Smith are both under contract for 2019, I fail to see the logic in spending more money on a journeyman QB. That'll put 3 QBs under contract, one of which may not plan again and two of which aren't start worthy. So the team would still need to look for potential options to start and a younger QB to develop. I fail to see the logic here. If you want to give non-guaranteed money to Johnson, go for it. But then why would Johnson sign a deal like that?

2 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Is JJ going to play in the new league starting in Feb? He was drafted #1. 

Probably depends on if he has a futures contract or whatever with us that pays him more. Actually, idk if that's even possible with an impending FA, he might have a tough choice to make, if he doesn't know if he's making any money in FA until March.

And to add, if he's going to be paid enough that we can't afford to or want to match it...okay, I'll take the comp pick, thanks. 

55 minutes ago, NikeRedskin7 said:

Why sign a journeyman QB who's played for 12 teams when we could bring in a QB like Kaep who has Super Bowl experience?  Kaep is better than every QB on our roster and can have a full offseason with us.

Colin Kaepernick is a vegan and his priorities are with lame SJW causes and not football. This isn’t Madden where you can edit stats. If we got Kaep from 2012, excellent. However, that’s not what we’re getting if we signed him. Nothing would’ve changed with him as QB and Josh Johnson. It was the one good move the front office made.

4 minutes ago, #HTTR said:

Colin Kaepernick is a vegan and his priorities are with lame SJW causes and not football. 

Those "lame SJW causes" effects a lot of people that is probably better left in the tailgate.  As for vegan, I don't see it getting in the way of Kyrie, the whole idea is starting to pick up steam in certain sports.

I wouldn't of signed him because I don't think he's capable of being a starter for a minute now, but no need to take pot shots at him while making that point, its unnecessary.

If JJ is offered a contract, even at vet minimum, he would be a fool not to sign it.  He would make more, at vet minimum, than he would in the AAF.  The salaries for AAF is Players will get three-year, non-guaranteed contracts worth $250,000, along with health insurance and an education stipend.

So, if he has to choose between the NFL and AAF, which way do you think he goes?

You can sign him as a backup.   We won't know Alex's future until 2020 and anyone really expect him to come back then?

Bruce is going to go after another stopgap veteran QB to save Bruce and Jay's ass.  Probably, a 1 one year deal with an option for a second year.

They aren't going to stake their jobs on JJ or a rookie QB.

Archived