Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's Official - The Browns have surpassed us.

Riggo-toni

The Browns appear to be in good shape with a quality GM in John Dorsey, a promising QB in Mayfied, a young roster and a ton of cap space.  Now they have to find the right HC.  Do they stick with GW as HC and Kitchens as OC, or go for an offensive minded HC?  GW is making it a tough call to bring in someone else going 5-2, but the Browns will probably be the most desirable job available. 

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Now there's an intelligent response.

I'm not interested in being a Browns fan, but I'm able to step back and take a look and see a team that's being run better than ours right now after being a laughingstock for years.  

It’s the fact that this deserves another thread like the browns finally having a better record than us totally puts us under. No doubt they are a young exciting team, but on our 4th QB they finally had a better record than us by a HALF game. Kudos to them for the best season they’ve seen in years but I’m not ready to suck up to them like they’re some prolific team yet. 

Just now, max21 said:

It’s the fact that this deserves another thread like the browns finally having a better record than us totally puts us under. No doubt they are a young exciting team, but on our 4th QB they finally had a better record than us by a HALF game. Kudos to them for the best season they’ve seen in years but I’m not ready to suck up to them like they’re some prolific team yet. 

No ones saying they're a prolific team.  What they are saying is that their future is brighter.  Given the young talent they have and their cap situation, I don't disagree.  I'd trade their situation for ours in a heartbeat.  Even if Smith was still healthy and starting.

That's the hypothetical here, would you trade our roster, cap situation, coaching situation and front office for theirs, straight up?  You can't say no with a straight face.

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

No ones saying they're a prolific team.  What they are saying is that their future is brighter.  Given the young talent they have and their cap situation, I don't disagree.  I'd trade their situation for ours in a heartbeat.  Even if Smith was still healthy and starting.

That's the hypothetical here, would you trade our roster, cap situation, coaching situation and front office for theirs, straight up?  You can't say no with a straight face.

I would, you win. Cheers mate 

The Browns appear to be on an upward trajectory, with a reputable and competent management structure. That is something I want to see in this team. @droland is right, Gregg is making Dorsey's decision a tough one, but if he ultimately passes on Gregg, then I'm sure another team will hopefully give him a shot. There will be plenty openings once the regular season ends.

I can't believe we were 6-3 6 weeks ago and since then have gone ****ing 1-5.  This team sucks and I hope they blow up the coaching staff.  

I just heard them talking on SNF about Tomlin maybe being fired.  I would LOVE if the Redskins landed Tomlin and he could put some ****ing discipline into this organization.  Although I doubt he would even want to come here.  What coach that is worth a damn would want to come here?

3 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I just heard them talking on SNF about Tomlin maybe being fired.  I would LOVE if the Redskins landed Tomlin and he could put some ****ing discipline into this organization.  Although I doubt he would even want to come here.  What coach that is worth a damn would want to come here?

You want to hire the coach who has gotten the NFL's most talented team to underperform for years because they play dumb so that he can instill discipline? 

I think I see a flaw in that plan.

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

The Browns are loaded with young talent, have lots of cap space, a franchise QB, and an excellent proven GM.

I can't believe I'm saying this but...I envy the Browns.

Any argument about our record this year is moot because they have a clear future and we don't.  Even the Raiders are about to get a new stadium and loaded with first round picks.

It may appear at the moment that the Browns are going to leave Dan Snyder's Redskins in their rearview mirror on the road to success but they may drive into a ditch.  Remember the Browns are owned by Jimmy Haslam who seems the definition of the shallow end of the NFL owner talent pool.  Mind you I don't bear any ill will towards Cleveland, the Browns or Haslam himself but they seem imminently able of messing their current good fortune.

2 hours ago, VeroViper said:

Agreed. The Browns have surpassed MANY teams in the league now assuming this isn't a mirage. Good for them. You'd think we were a 2 win team the way much of our fanbase acts towards this team. SMH

No, we are worse. An average 8 win team ever damn year.

Amazing what hitting your early picks does for you isnt it? The most important obviously being at the QB position. And make no mistake they hit with that pick. Mayfield is a budding star in this league. But lets not devalue the other first and second round picks they have made.

2018:

Round One: Mayfield, Ward

Round Two: Corbett, Chubb

2017:

Round One: Garrett, Peppers, Njoku

2016:

Round One: Coleman

Round Two: Ogbah

When you are picking that early and have that many picks you better get better. Adding that kind of talent at a relatively cheap price is a winning formula. Yes they sucked badly for decades. But they FINALLY wised up, bit the bullet and traded everything they had to get those picks. The front office deserves a ton a credit. And yes. The Browns are TONS better than us and most likely a playoff team for the foreseeable future.

6 hours ago, hail2skins said:

I do think we'd have a better record than the Browns if Alex had stayed upright for the whole season.

But now doubt what the Browns have done, going from 0-16 to .500 heading into the last week, has been impressive.

And the depressing part is that, on the offensive side of the ball, apart from Guice, name any other skill position on the current roster that excites anyone heading toward the future.  

Not by much.  Instead of 7-8, maybe the Skins are 8-7 or 9-6.  The Skins were going to lose the Boys and Eagles road games, regardless of who was QB.

Reminds me of the 1950s when the Browns had Jim Brown and Bobby Mitchell and the Redskins had Don Bossler and Ed Sutton.

Other than the RGIII rookie year when he could run, the 'Skins have been consistently mediocre-bad in the entire Snyder era and that is hard to accomplish. And even in that year, Shanahan ran him into the ground and hobbled him through their playoff game in which they had no chance. Almost has to be intentional. Eages game will be 20,000 Eagles fans and 20 Snyderskins fans.

14 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

My point was, and remains, that teams like us (I would lump in the Bengals and maybe the Dolphins) are losers because they aren't concerned with the ultimate goal of winning titles. We are content with trying to stay "competitive" and putting everything into being a 9-7 type of team.

The depressing reality of being a nothing team. 

I like to admit when I'm wrong, and I think I was way off on Alex Smith. 

I bashed him through 9 weeks. But seeing how many untalented playmakers he had around him it's pretty easy to see that he probably was the reason we were in the division lead and in all likelihood would have won the division if he a a few others remained healthy. Not saying much but the falloff after his departure (regardless of other injuries) was apparent.

The point is, the league is all about the QB/coaching. Our QB was slightly above average, our coach was below average. 

I just hope the Redskins can find a stroke of luck and land a QB, end of story. It turns a franchise around almost instantaneously. 

16 hours ago, hail2skins said:

And the depressing part is that, on the offensive side of the ball, apart from Guice, name any other skill position on the current roster that excites anyone heading toward the future.  

I'm actually a bit worried about Guice. Rookies coming off an injury don't always do well. Add in that AP have raised our standards and there's a chance next year's team gets less out of the RB spot. 

In short, he's not a sure thing. 

Archived