Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

D.J. Swearinger blasts Redskins DC Manusky after loss

RedskinsLegacy

4 hours ago, allskinz said:

When you have a coaching staff that doesn't really care and there are no repercussions for doing so,  why not?  We've had these same issues year after year.

When is the last time you have seen a player held accountable?

And this is a HC issue.   It should have been crystal clear after DJ first mouthed off through benching by Gruden, the leader, that it was not going to be tolerated.

I like DJ, and do not want to lose him but he has to shut up and keep it in house or the liability outweighs the benefit of him.

5 hours ago, Dancing Bear said:

Poor tackling, yeah Manusky's fault. #whenyouneedascapegoat

Not blaming manusky for poor tackling is like not blaming a teacher for their students poor test scores.

Yeah the students may have bombed the test but it's the teachers responsibility to get them ready for the test.

Of course its manuskys fault for the poor tackling, he has them going for the strip on every single tackle which isn't helping matters but more than anything obviously they aren't doing the things in practice that lead to proper technique on the field.

There’s a few elements to this:

1) Swearinger’s point: completely valid. Although many times man to man means the ability to blitz a bit more freely, it also means the DBs have their back to the QB and not facing him to make plays.

2) Execution: I think DJ forgot that Haha did exactly what DJ wanted them to do and then proceeded to let the football go... literally... through his hands. The poor tackling isn’t on the DC, either.

3) Overall point on Manusky: he’s not Hasslet. But not great, either.

4) Player to media talk: Because Norman, DJ and Foster were able to talk all season long with no discipline, it continues. This needs to end and THAT is 100% on the FO and coaching staff. Starting to think Gruden allows it just so “billionaire business man with no email or social media” Dan Snyder becomes aware of the issues. In fact, I almost completely believe it.

also... where isn’t the info on Allen contradicting DJ?

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

4) Player to media talk: Because Norman, DJ and Foster were able to talk all season long with no discipline, it continues. This needs to end and THAT is 100% on the FO and coaching staff. Starting to think Gruden allows it just so “billionaire business man with no email or social media” Dan Snyder becomes aware of the issues. In fact, I almost completely believe it.

also... where isn’t the info on Allen contradicting DJ?

That's a valid point you bring. Maybe that's why Jay let this slip through. He's been employee of the month for 5 years now, but he really seems unpleased with what's going on behind the doors. So maybe he's allowing it on purpose. Maybe Manusky was not his 1st choice (and to be true he was what the 6 or 7 DC we interviewed?).

Other is coming straight out of his twitter account:

Somehow it feels like irony.

1 minute ago, Wildbunny said:

That's a valid point you bring. Maybe that's why Jay let this slip through. He's been employee of the month for 5 years now, but he really seems unpleased with what's going on behind the doors. So maybe he's allowing it on purpose. Maybe Manusky was not his 1st choice (and to be true he was what the 6 or 7 DC we interviewed?).

Couple that with the rumors that the Raiders no longer want Bruce Allen but ARE interested in Scot M. Jon Gruden had to have talked to Jay Gruden, right?

6 hours ago, Dancing Bear said:

Poor tackling, yeah Manusky's fault. #whenyouneedascapegoat

Yup. 

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

Not blaming manusky for poor tackling is like not blaming a teacher for their students poor test scores.

Yeah the students may have bombed the test but it's the teachers responsibility to get them ready for the test.

Of course its manuskys fault for the poor tackling, he has them going for the strip on every single tackle which isn't helping matters but more than anything obviously they aren't doing the things in practice that lead to proper technique on the field.

I disagree.

At this level, do players really need to be taught how to tackle? I'll grant you that tackling drills would certainly be beneficial, but if a player doesn't know proper technique, at this level, maybe they should be rethinking their career choice

IMHO, the players are hot-dogging, going for the strips, instead of making tackles.  Manusky should be discouraging that ****. 

5 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Manusky should be discouraging that ****. 

That's why it's his fault.

He's the boss, the buck starts and stops with him when it comes to the defense. 

Whatever they are is a reflection of him. 

Yes one missed tackle can't be blamed on him or Gruden or Allen or anyone else responsible for the outcome of our games but when it's a consistent problem all year that is on the people who coordinate the players not the players.

This is more of a philosophical debate that can't really be won one way or the other but it's my opinion that when a team consistently does things the wrong way that's on management not the players.

Right or not. This is just another example of why this coaching staff and GM need to go. Anyone hear New England players calling out their coaches? They have been downright abysmal on defense this year as well. Absolutely no discipline on this team. From the players, coaches or front office. They all need to go.

30 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Right or not. This is just another example of why this coaching staff and GM need to go. Anyone hear New England players calling out their coaches? They have been downright abysmal on defense this year as well. Absolutely no discipline on this team. From the players, coaches or front office. They all need to go.

I intentionally did not bring up the Patriots as an example as while this is 99% accurate, we've lost count of the number of time Brady has cussed out coaches on the sideline during the game.  This could be worse and it will get worse if nothing is done.

After reading Gruden's answers to the Swearinger-related questions during his press-conference, I suspect D.J. needs to be  prepared for making some kind of public statement retracting his earlier remarks. 

I get the sense Gruden (and the Skins FO) has tired of this type of behavior and might even over-react in D.J.'s instance simp!y to set an example.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

I intentionally did not bring up the Patriots as an example as while this is 99% accurate, we've lost count of the number of time Brady has cussed out coaches on the sideline during the game.  This could be worse and it will get worse if nothing is done.

i am fine with bickering on the sideline during the game. It is an emotional game and sometimes things get heated on the sideline. It is far worse to have players calling out coaches after the game IN THE MEDIA.

For those that's play football, you're taught to do what the coach says. But many of us (if you've played long enough) has gotten a coach that seems to be set in his ways. He's always calling ****ed up plays! But what do you do as a player? You talk about it among your teammates, right? Ultimately, you do what you're told. Most times you work you way through it, right? Sometimes if you're lucky, the coach is fired. You know why he's fired? Because he lost the ****in locker room. But that was that HS and maybe college ****. This is the goddamn Pros!! Its now a ****ing job. For a pro, how you do your job dictates a myriad of things (from future contracts ($$) to the ultimate goal and childhood dream of winning the SB). The whole idea of keeping bull**** inside the locker room may be good when you're talking about teammates. But coaches? Please!!

DJ is obviously doing what he's told on the football field. Give him credit for that. Otherwise the the coaches would probably be calling him out. You have heard coaches do that, right? But just like these sorry ass referees that make horrible calls but never called on the carpet, so to with these coaches. We all know Manusky has been subpar. But again, he's not pulled on the carpet by the media. At least not in the manner to which should be. And when he does, its that old sorry ass phrase we hear from Gruden and Manusky....we need to coach and play better. Hello, ya think? How long have you been coaching Manusky? Like 11 years? And you need to coach better? WTF?

So I'm ok with DJ calling out his coach. Who cares about outside perception. I get so tired of people talking about how DJ's talking is affecting the culture of the team or some other anecdotal crap. They are not winning football games!!! That's all that ****ing matters, unless you're into that TMZ ****. If the coach is ****ing up the game with his play calling (and they definitely are on both sides of the ****in ball), scream to the high heavens...whoever you are. I'm tired of watching ****ed up football. Again, why do you think coaches lose the locker room? They don't lose because the team is winning (unless the coach is a complete ****in asshole like Gruden's brother). They lose it because they don't listen to their players.

Get Allen, Gruden and Manusky TFO! And talk about 'em too!

9 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Yea, no sense risking injury in a meaningless game. Get your self benched with the ability to find a new team next year.

Yeah. I’m sort of suprised he didn’t take a shot at gruden too.

95% chance of Gruden being back next year, about 50-50 for Manusky. He knows that taking a shot at Gruden will get him traded/released/benched in the offseason, but taking the shot at Manusky has no downside since he will probably be replaced by Bowles in the offseason,

13 minutes ago, mrcaniac said:

95% chance of Gruden being back next year, about 50-50 for Manusky. He knows that taking a shot at Gruden will get him traded/released/benched in the offseason, but taking the shot at Manusky has no downside since he will probably be replaced by Bowles in the offseason,

"He will probably be replaced by Bowles in the offseason". Really? "Probably"? We don't even know if it's an option, never mind a probability. 

2 hours ago, Kelvin Bryant said:

The consensus seems to be: 1) Swearinger should never have said this: it shows an appalling disrespect for his defensive coaches, bordering on insubordination, and 2) what he said was completely true.

I wouldn't say that what he said is completely true. 

Man to man actually lets you be more aggressive in the pressure scheme with your linebackers. Man to man is a go to blitz defense because you don't have people free running. 

Zone lets the secondary be more aggressive. They keep their eye on the QB so they can attack the ball. But zone is a bit less aggressive for the linebackers.

So what he's really saying is he wanted the secondary to be more aggressive. Which I see his point on. 

Archived