Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Redskins at An's Boobs

TK

My wife is really good at lip reading, she said after one of their scores Jay said with some anger towards someone (the camera didn't pan as to who he was talking to),"they did their job" and it was directed I presume at someone on the defense.  Sort of like hey the offense did their thing now help them out -- sounded like perhaps he was carping like we do here about how the defense gives up scores right after the offense scores.

I am not one of those fire everyone types.  But I wouldn't hate moving on from Manusky.  The defense was healthy for the most part.  They regressed as the season went on -- and they seem to play terrible situational football especially in the clutch.

I do agree on one of the criticisms of Jay -- Shanny was like this too -- hiring defensive coaches with mediocre to poor track records.  And while I am a talent over coaching guy.  I do think this defense under achieved and I'd put some of that on coaching.   Be nice to have a defensive coordinator with a big resume.  Last guy I think was Gregg Williams. 

All things considered on the INT play? I still stand by saying it is a poor play call given the situation.  Down by 3, already at midfield with 2 minutes and 2 time outs.  Just get the 1st down, no reason to push the ball down the field at that time.  Call a play that gets the ball to CT, AP, Crowder, or Sprinkle breaking across the middle and convert the 1st down.  If for some reason you fail, then it is 4th and still a manageable 3 and/or minus any yards you did get on 3rd down.   It felt like an all or nothing risk play in a situation that did not call for it, knowing you are playing with a journeyman QB and less than stellar WR core.  You avoid those situations at all costs when you can, and today because of the running game, you were avoiding them mostly for the entire game, so why in that pressure situation do you do this. 

1 minute ago, Wildbunny said:

Honestly, I've been rather impressed by those youngs guys playing G today.

Not world beaters, but they were decent to open holes for AP.

We may be onto something with them.

Oh I am not saying I wasn't impressed but that the OL was made of nobody's and Gruden put these guys in position to at least be competitive. Mansucky on the other hand has superstars and **** the bed with them. 

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I know I've seen multiple people blame Doctson.  I take Cooley a little more seriously because he knows the team and their plays but who knows.  Also maybe he'd change his mind on 2nd look.

Whether it was on JJ or JD does it even matter? I just feel like this season needs to end and we need some cleansing.

I like what JJ did, its crazy a guy as big as him with a strong arm and who is also mobile can't find a job as a backup.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I know I've seen multiple people blame Doctson.  I take Cooley a little more seriously because he knows the team and their plays but who knows.  Also maybe he'd change his mind on 2nd look.

It just didn't look like he was stopping to sit down in a zone and wait. It looked like he came out of his break and just stopped running while still "running" the route.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

My wife is really good at lip reading, she said after one of their scores Jay said with some anger,"they did their job" and it was directed I presume at someone on the defense.  Sort of like hey the offense did their thing now help them out -- sounded like perhaps he was carping like we do here about how the defense gives up scores right after the offense scores.

I am not one of those fire everyone types.  But I wouldn't hate moving on from Manusky.  The defense was healthy for the most part.  They regressed as the season went on -- and they seem to play terrible situational football especially in the clutch...  

If Todd Bowles gets fired, you go get that man and let him run the defense. Would love that. No more of these failed diamond in the rough DC’s. They don’t work. 

Despite the two ints, I liked what I saw out of JJ and would rather bring him back for one more year than draft a QB because I think this D needs an overhaul. The line is fine, Kerrigan is good, and DJ is our best DB. That's about it. Fittingly, HaHa is a joke. Norman is too expesive for his production, and the ILBs are, well, they're there. And Manusky? Yikes. How many times under the same circumstance does he get beat? 3rd and long, let's them convert more often than not. Offense just scored, lets the other team march down field for points. Say what you will about Gruden (I'm not his biggest fan) but he had this team (with a 4th string QB, backup linemen and TEs) play well enough to win. Greg Manure is the one I hold responsible for the loss.

2 minutes ago, zskins said:

Oh I am not saying I wasn't impressed but that the OL was made of nobody's and Gruden put these guys in position to at least be competitive. Mansucky on the other hand has superstars and **** the bed with them. 

I was just trying to back up what you said. Not really criticizing it in any way you know.

His first 10 or 12 runs, Henry had 26 yards. Then, all of a sudden, guys runs all over.

I could have understood with guys being worned out, but our O did a 10+ minutes drive in the 1st Half. So the guys had to be fresh.

I really don't get it. Kudos for the O for playing with fire. But D let them down in the 4th.

3 minutes ago, repo_4 said:

It just didn't look like he was stopping to sit down in a zone and wait. It looked like he came out of his break and just stopped running while still "running" the route.

I have to watch that play again.  Cooley on the broadcast basically said the play was run OK but Johnson overthrew it, I recall him saying it just sailed on Johnson.  But like I said, maybe he changes his mind upon review. 

4 hours ago, zskins said:

It does matter. Put the blame where it is due. In this game it was not on Gruden. It doesn't matter what happens at the end of the season but today it was not Gruden's fault. Gruden with his rag tags of OL and QB who had played for 13 other teams had us wining today against a team with a very good D. 

Allen needs to go first anyways. 

Gruden got lucky when he picked up Josh. Although Josh sailed one, he's given this team the best chance to win all season.

But I'm hoping we don't have to converse about these bums coming back next year. Allen, Gruden and Manusky all need to roll out.

I dont care about the int, we should of never been in that situation our offense kept the D fresh and they let Gabbert drive over and over in the 2nd half. Gruden has cost us the playoffs twice with these dumb D coordinator hires.

On the radio they say why are people upset because all of us would of taken a close game...guys that changed when you had the lead on Gabbert

Gruden is already on his third D Coordinator in 4 years. A good part of being a successful HC is hiring the right staff. He's not going to get lucky with #4. If he can't hire competent people, he isn't a competent coach. The fact that he hired Barry over Wade Phillips should have made it crystal clear that he always chooses comfortable familiarity over capability, which is why the defense will never excel with him steering the ship.

5 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

All things considered on the INT play? I still stand by saying it is a poor play call given the situation.  Down by 3, already at midfield with 2 minutes and 2 time outs.  Just get the 1st down, no reason to push the ball down the field at that time.  Call a play that gets the ball to CT, AP, Crowder, or Sprinkle breaking across the middle and convert the 1st down.  If for some reason you fail, then it is 4th and still a manageable 3 and/or minus any yards you did get on 3rd down.   It felt like an all or nothing risk play in a situation that did not call for it, knowing you are playing with a journeyman QB and less than stellar WR core.  You avoid those situations at all costs when you can, and today because of the running game, you were avoiding them mostly for the entire game, so why in that pressure situation do you do this. 

I was thinking the same thing, and one of the many reasons that I could care less if Gruden leaves. I keep saying in these type of situations "Why, why does he keep doing the opposite of the obvious?" Of course Allen too has to go with him.

1 minute ago, httrMP said:

Despite the two ints, I liked what I saw out of JJ and would rather bring him back for one more year than draft a QB because I think this D needs an overhaul. The line is fine, Kerrigan is good, and DJ is our best DB. That's about it.

I somewhat agree with this.  This draft is loaded with pass rushers and corners especially in the top half of the draft.  Having said that if a Qb drops in your lap that you love -- Lock or whomever pull the trigger.  

Don't know if the defense needs an overhaul but could use a pass rusher, MLB, FS, CB.   Clearly we also need a #1 WR and a LG.  

Oddly, I feel like we need more in this off season than I thought we needed last off season.  Am guessing why is FS, MLB I thought was covered before this season. 

7 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

If Todd Bowles gets fired, you go get that man and let him run the defense. Would love that. No more of these failed diamond in the rough DC’s. They don’t work. 

I'd like that, but I kind of feel Gruden wants to hire the worst DC possible so that there is no one on the coaching staff that could replace him midseason when things start to go south. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I have to watch that play again.  Cooley on the broadcast basically said the play was run OK but Johnson overthrew it, I recall him saying it just sailed on Johnson.  But like I said, maybe he changes his mind upon review. 

Yeah it is hard for us to say because by the time the camera is panning to where Doctson is, it looks like he is stumbling almost as if he is reacting to something he wasn't expected.   Only someone with knowledge of the actual play call and WR assignment(s) would know for certain if Doctson messed up the route or if he initially sat on the route correctly and looked all off balance because he saw the ball going too long.

Archived