Extremeskins

Redskins vs Titans Prediction Thread: Livin' On A Prayer

skins island connection

Who wins the game?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the 2018 Bourbon Bowl?

When: Saturday December 22nd  3:30   2:30 central

Where: Nissan Stadium  Nashville Tennessee

Livin' on a prayer, hangin' by a thread, and limping into the moonshine state of Tennessee, the Redskins play a Saturday game against the Tennessee Titans, with slim but possible hopes of post-season play.

A few things will have to go our way if playoffs are to be on the menu, and as everyone knows, anything can happen in the playoffs;  ANYTHING!

The Titans easily handled the New York Giants, shutting them out on their home turf.

Marcus Mariota and Derrick Henry proved to be the difference-makers, along with the stingy Titans defense, shutting down  Eli & company 17-0. RB Derrick Henry is a hard-nosed punishing type of running back who isn't afraid to give hits as well as take them.  The Giants simply looked out of it, possibly had already packed it in before the game started, and played to not get anyone injured. Nevertheless, the Titans defense is stout and ranked in the top 10 on most every aspect, and will be looking to continue their efforts on Saturday.

The Redskins come off a sweet road victory against the Jaguars, winning 16-13.

It was Josh Johnson's first win as a Redskin, and to be honest looked a lot better than that other guy, the butt-fumbler - butt-recoverer Mark Sanchez.  Johnson isn't an unknown world-beater, but he seems to have a decent pocket awareness and isn't afraid to throw the ball into tight places. The Jaguar defense kept Adrian Peterson in check most of thegame, but he did manage to break off a few nice runs when it was needed in the 4th to get the team into FG territory, where the winning kick was delivered as the clock struck 0:00.

The Redskin defense is still a head scratcher. The d-line is doing a pretty good job, but the secondary has a lot of issues to deal with, one of which is HaHa Dix's very poor tackling and angle choices.  Josh Norman isn't helping matter much, and he may be a player who is on the way out, who knows. But, overall they held the less than potent Jaguar offense led by Kody Kessler to FGs, with their lone TD coming off a punt return.

So, Saturday is coming up; with some help the Redskins could get into post-season play, as some fans cheer for it while others just assume lose out the last 2 games.

We know Gruden is feeling some heat, and he will want to win; question is, does the team feel that way? We know Josh Johnson's performance in these last 2 games could decide his fate, as some team could pick him up as a back-up or PS player, so he will want to win and look good doing it, but he will need the rest of the team to do it.

Look for this game to be another lower scoring game; the Redskins faced a strong defense in the Jaguars last week, so it will be a repeat performance, except that the Titans offense is better than the Jags; but not by much. If the Redskin defense can shut Henry down, it will force Mariota to beat them with his arm, and I'm not so certain he can do that, so things could be looking good, provided the Redskins get some help.

When the dust settles and the moonshine bottle and crack pipes break,

Josh Johnson and co. deliver another game-winning drive at the end to steal another victory.

Final score:

Redskins 19

Titans 18

First correct score prediction wins a new Redskins beanie and a few other goodies.

So, good luck and as always,  G  O    S  K  I  N  S  !!!

Head: Titans 27, Redskins 9. I believe these teams are fairly similar--both are built for ball-control by way of a strong running game and elusive QBs that can extend plays/drives with their legs and strong defenses that generally keep the scoring low. That being said, while the Titans and Redskins appear similar on paper and philosophically, the Titans are simply better at all phases of what they want to do at this point--and healthier.

Heart: Titans 17, Reskins 16. Titans line up for a FG as time runs out and its good. Heart-breaker in the short term (especially for gamers like Johnson and Peterson), but probably a blessing in disguise for the long-term. They fight hard, but ultimately fall short vs a superior team.

Liver: Redskins 20, Titans 17. The scrappy Redskins make a big play on ST and nail a FG to avoid OT. Now the stage is set for the team to puke on its shoes next week vs the Eagles in a game they must win, not just for playoff reasons, but for perception of what this team is and how it performs in those must-win situations. They were able to gut out another win this week, but all that feel-good mojo would be erased with another poor showing in a big spot vs the Eagles.

I’m thinking this is a good week to make defensive adjustments.  If the Titans are moving the ball because Mariotta is scrambling for first downs, I hope we consider playing Harvey-Clemons more than we have recently. I think he’s got enough speed, and good length and tackling ability to effectively spy the qb.  I’d consider playing Anderson more on 1st and second downs as I think he might be a bit better vs the run than Smith.  

Lastly, I’d consider going with more zone looks to enable the secondary to have eyes toward the line, and play Swearinger closer to the LOS, both in an effort to help limit the ground game.  If the Skins D can limit the running by Henry and Mariotta, I think we’ve got a decent shot at this game.

I picked the Titans by a decent margin though - I think they’ll move the ball pretty steadily and I don’t see our O having much success.  

Sidenote - Gruden stuck with the run (for the most part) last week and it wound up paying off on that final drive (probably in part because of Johnson’s scrambling).  I hope he’s not too stubborn about it against a stingy run D this week though.  

Agree with mostly everything, except the Norman snub in there which i disagree with.

Other than that, i see a tough road ahead for our team

Titans - 33

Redskins - 17

Keys to the game:

1.  If Kessler scrambled on us like he did, our game plan better include a spy on Mariota on passing down sitatuations.

2.  If our Run D wants to be known as elite, after a couple poor games vs Barkley and Elliot, stopping Henry in his tracks is key because...

3.  Someone opposite Norman needs to step up, because Mariota is not an elite passer.  (88 yards vs Giants, 162 vs Jags.  Giants was raining but still)

4.  Josh Johnson play last weeks game, but show more effectiveness

5.  AP to run All Day

Archived