Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump Border Wall Post-Shutdown Discussion (Wall-Fight)

2 hours ago, twa said:

razor wire and teargas

Riiiiggggghhhht. Razor wire hundreds of miles from the actual Caravan. And the tear gas really worked at preventing another group from starting a nice 3000 mile stroll. Perhaps we should look at ameliorating the conditions that prompt people to risk their lives travelling across Mexico. Seems to me the walk is a greater obstacle than a wall ever could be (aside form the fact that they wouldn't need to climb the wall, just present themselves at a point of entry).

6 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Good point. We need land mines. Humane ones are preferable. 

I thought about that, and the hell wed go through once the relationship between the two countries improve and we try to find them all. GPS linked bear traps?

28 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

BTW, is there any movement on opening the government? Last two days all I have seen is Trump trying to spin opinion via Tweet and McConnell saying he intends to continue stonewalling any House legislation.

After an entirely ineffective Oval Office address, Trump's main efforts to resolve a major disruption is to tweet.  I'll repeat that.  The Presidents primary tactic for resolving the breakdown of the federal government is tweeting.  

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/1/14/18182061/trump-tweets-government-shutdown-democrats

Trump is trying to tweet his way out of the shutdown

Despite his claims otherwise, he appears to have no clear strategy for a way out of the current situation. Politico’s Nancy Cook reported that over the weekend, as Trump said he had a shutdown plan, advisers and staff admitted they had no idea what he was talking about.

Last week, he tried some things beyond tweeting — namely, he delivered an Oval Office address and traveled to the US-Mexico border in an attempt to shore up support for the wall and push the narrative of a border crisis. But according to the Times, even he didn’t believe in the strategy, saying in an off-the-record lunch with television anchors ahead of his address that it wasn’t “going to change a damn thing.”

For someone who has banked much of his public persona on being a dealmaker, Trump is struggling to make a deal here. If anything, he seems to be acting as more of an obstacle to any agreement than a facilitator.

As Vox’s Ezra Klein recently noted, a lot of the problem is that lawmakers don’t think they can trust Trump. He’s tentatively made agreements with Democrats before, only to later back out. Even before the current shutdown, Trump seemed to be on board with a bill that didn’t include new border wall funding, only to later change his mind. Per Klein:

"Over and over again, Democrats have shaken hands on an immigration deal with Trump, only to see him abandon it as soon as they leave the room. Nor is this ancient history. Trump went back on his word during the negotiations that led to the current shutdown. That was less than a month ago."

Since arriving at the White House, Trump has tried to do a lot of his governing by tweet, employing a bully-pulpit-by-social-media strategy. The current status of the government shutdown highlights the limits of that tactic and how it can be detrimental. Whatever progress Trump might make in negotiations could be thrown into upheaval at any given moment with a new tweet.

The president finds himself increasingly backed into a corner over the shutdown, and he can’t tweet his way out of it, try as he might.

57 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

Riiiiggggghhhht. Razor wire hundreds of miles from the actual Caravan. And the tear gas really worked at preventing another group from starting a nice 3000 mile stroll. Perhaps we should look at ameliorating the conditions that prompt people to risk their lives travelling across Mexico. Seems to me the walk is a greater obstacle than a wall ever could be (aside form the fact that they wouldn't need to climb the wall, just present themselves at a point of entry).

Sure, a safe third country agreement with Mexico(like we have with Canada)

Presto, reduced asylum claims and no long trip.

7 minutes ago, twa said:

Sure, a safe third country agreement with Mexico(like we have with Canada)

Presto, reduced asylum claims and no long trip.

Shutting down the TSA is definitely putting a ton of heat on Mexico to negotiate on this issue.

#artofthedeal

#movingthegoalposts

1 hour ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

Riiiiggggghhhht. Razor wire hundreds of miles from the actual Caravan. 

you do know they installed it at the Cali border, as well as barriers to prevent rushing/overwhelming the legal border crossing points? (like they did in other countries)

If you really want to reduce the draw eliminate the benefits and employment opportunities here....you can even use some of the savings for economic development in the places they are fleeing. (if it doesn't get stolen by the govt)

• Haha 1

There will be no progress until Congress says, "Do it without Trump" or so many TSA agents can't make it in without a paycheck or there are major ripple effects.

GOP Senators wanted to reopen the government and start to work a bill in the Senate until early Feb -- Trump said "No".

A bipartisan group of Senators are talking. This is the group that I hope comes to the quick conclusion that additional border security $$$ + no wall in a veto-override is the answer out of the shutdown... news reports I saw indicated they were working wall + DACA --- I think there's too big of a gap between the sides to get over that bridge.

If GOP really thinks this is a "crisis" they would be happy with additional funds. Dems certainly would be happy to prevent a wall. And open the government up for the rest of the year -- Trump already indicated he wants a full year solution.

Separately, Trump is meeting House Dems. 80% chance its another "play to my base PR stunt" -- however I hope they can convince him he is not getting his wall.

I already thought the threat of 2 missed paychecks was enough for the GOP to start caring about the shutdown crisis... but who knows. Its clear Trump runs them.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

Separately, Trump is meeting House Dems. 80% chance its another "play to my base PR stunt" -- however I hope they can convince him he is not getting his wall.

Nope.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/rank-and-file-democrats-reject-trumps-invitation-to-shutdown-talks-backing-leaders-in-united-opposition-to-border-wall/2019/01/15/2539482e-18d2-11e9-9ebf-c5fed1b7a081_story.html?utm_term=.5eddce00f48e

A group of rank-and-file House Democrats turned down an invitation to have lunch with President Trump at the White House Tuesday, a snub that underscores the extraordinary divisions that have brought negotiations over the government shutdown to a standstill.

The invited Democrats, including centrist-leaning freshmen and sophomore members, skipped the meeting amid calls for unity from Democratic leaders and fellow lawmakers who’d voiced concerns the meeting would be little more than a photo op benefiting Trump.

Their decision marked another failure in the White House’s ongoing attempt to splinter Democrats, who instead are holding firm, at least for now, against Trump’s demands for $5.7 billion for his border wall.

Dems standing firm.  Good for them.  

• Like 3

trump as nothing to lose... i wouldn’t count on him backing down.

I actually found this reasonable...

The border wall solution Trump hasn't thought of

(CNN)President Donald Trump has not been able to persuade Congress that US national security requires the building of a wall at our southern border. If, however, a national emergency really exists, as the President insists, then he should take his case directly to the American people and look to other ways to pay for a wall -- ways that do not require the use of pre-existing taxpayer dollars

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/14/opinions/trump-border-wall-bonds-solution-zelizer-zeldin/index.html

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
9 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

If, however, a national emergency really exists, as the President insists, then he should take his case directly to the American people and look to other ways to pay for a wall -- ways that do not require the use of pre-existing taxpayer dollars

He's already trying that

CARAVAN!!

MS13!!

SMALLPOX!!!

<insert derisive snort here>

No photo description available.

• Haha 3
2 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Pelosi said pull up, lol.

Saying that, Trump dont care. He will just give the speech on video, and the media will lap it up.

I thought the same for about a minute, it's not the same as the trappings of Congress and the sycophantic applause of the Republicans. Plus tough to do the personal shoutouts to victims of illegal immigrant crimes in the audience, etc. I think this really does sting, and no doubt enrages him.