Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump Border Wall Post-Shutdown Discussion (Wall-Fight)

Fergasun

13 minutes ago, twa said:

I thought people on welfare didn't pay taxes?

Nope, that was the GOP talking point 10 years or so ago, when they were simultaneously arguing that repealing W's tax cuts on the rich were useless because it wouldn't completely eliminate the deficit, but that it was a major societal problem that poor people weren't paying enough. 

I'm pretty sure that it's been shifted to an equally untrue claim about illegal immigrants, last five years or so. 

But I do understand the way you went from "Trump supporters" to "people on welfare". It's an understandable slip. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

@twa

As one of the board’s few Texites, do you feel that the wall is necessary to secure your safety?

Also, where in TX do you live in relation to the southern boarder?

Serious questions.

My safety?...no :ols:, it does help illegal reduce crossings though.

I'm at Galveston Bay(about 90 miles from Louisiana), the Rio Grande is about a 8hr drive away at least....El Paso is about  800 miles away .

of course I can see illegal immigrants from my porch.

my high school is about 85% hispanic, probably 15% illegals

add

I probably shouldn't laugh on the safety issue since I have bulletproof glass in the front of my house, but no one with any sense messes with my extended family in the barrio.

Edited by twa
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Larry said:

Nope, that was the GOP talking point 10 years or so ago, when they were simultaneously arguing that repealing W's tax cuts on the rich were useless because it wouldn't completely eliminate the deficit, but that it was a major societal problem that poor people weren't paying enough. 

I'm pretty sure that it's been shifted to an equally untrue claim about illegal immigrants, last five years or so.

Or that a good chunk of the country is a bunch of sycophantic leaches but at the same time, Trump has eliminated unemployment and everybody is out there working.

Or how the democrats want illegals pouring in but also always wanted a wall. Or whenever the Trump administration gasses people or takes their children, the Obama administration did the same during that period where they allowed a foreign infestation to invade us.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

This highlights a bigger problem than the instability caused by the Shutdown.  Our healthcare system puts the majority of people in this country in a state of semi-comfortable poverty.  We don't starve and we have access to the material goods that provide us with the entertainment to distract us from the fact that the value of our labor is in constant decay and we are an emergency or illness away from ruination.  You can not be middle class in this country with out reliable, affordable healthcare and access to treatments and preventative medicine.  And most of us don't have it.  Not even when we have insurance.

Incrementalism isn't going to save us.  The American middle class WILL die without a full scale revolution in the way this country does healthcare.  Education too, but that's a different conversation.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Is this the week the GOP admits the shutdown is the crisis? Or sre they going to keeo talking about the fabricated border crisis?

It sounds like GOP congresspeople have had enough, but Trump isn't there yet.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/trump-rejects-suggestion-to-allow-government-to-reopen-temporarily-while-talks-continue/2019/01/14/59219b5a-180a-11e9-9ebf-c5fed1b7a081_story.html?utm_term=.00df140147d9

President Trump said Monday that he rejected a suggestion by Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) that he allow the government to temporarily reopen while continuing negotiations with Congress over funds for a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

“I did reject it,” Trump told reporters as he prepared to leave the White House en route to an event in New Orleans. “I want to get it solved. I don’t want to just delay it.”

His comments came on the 24th day of a partial government shutdown with no clear path forward for Trump and congressional Democrats, who have steadfastly resisted the president’s demands for $5.7 billion to fund his long-promised wall.