Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump Border Wall Post-Shutdown Discussion (Wall-Fight)

Fergasun

@CousinsCowgirl84
Because he will be acting pursuant to the National Emergencies Act which gives Congress a chance to disapprove via Joint Resolution. It automatically would go to the Senate if it passes the House. Only a majority is needed to disapprove.

• Like 2

All you have to do is look at Washington to know that walls do not work. They provide no useful defense. I mean sure a wall might get you to the first round of the playoffs. But if you look at the Wizards and we're not just talking walls, but magic all star walls here... Who has John Wall ever stopped? 

It's madness!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

All you have to do is look at Washington to know that walls do not work. They provide no useful defense. I mean sure a wall might get you to the first round of the playoffs. But if you look at the Wizards and we're not just talking walls, but magic all star walls here... Who has John Wall ever stopped? 

It's madness!

Plus they always break and have to be repaired. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think the most likely outcome right now, although not by a wide margin, is that Trump stands down from his threat to declare a national emergency, makes up some excuse, Congress passes a longer term spending bill with no wall money, and we all move on.  I put that at a 51% chance.

The other possibility is no deal is negotiated that can pass the House and Senate, Trump goes ahead and declares a national emergency, the House immediately calls a vote under the National Emergencies Act, which passes the House and Senate, but not by a veto-proof majority, Trump vetoes it, and a lawsuit (for which the filing documents have already been drawn up for weeks) is filed.  It will probably get fast-tracked, and I have no idea how the merits of the case will stack up, but it is very likely to delay any actual results from the declaration of a national emergency for many months.  

6 hours ago, Burgold said:

It's madness!

Fight me

57 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I think the most likely outcome right now, although not by a wide margin, is that Trump stands down from his threat to declare a national emergency, makes up some excuse, Congress passes a longer term spending bill with no wall money, and we all move on.  I put that at a 51% chance.

The other possibility is no deal is negotiated that can pass the House and Senate, Trump goes ahead and declares a national emergency, the House immediately calls a vote under the National Emergencies Act, which passes the House and Senate, but not by a veto-proof majority, Trump vetoes it, and a lawsuit (for which the filing documents have already been drawn up for weeks) is filed.  It will probably get fast-tracked, and I have no idea how the merits of the case will stack up, but it is very likely to delay any actual results from the declaration of a national emergency for many months.  

I dunno about the Senate bro. What you are saying makes sense but so did keeping those sanctions on Deripaska going. I lost alot of faith in senate repubs there. I still dont understand the justification they used for it. I mean thats about as black and white as if gets. 

5 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I dunno about the Senate bro. What you are saying makes sense but so did keeping those sanctions on Deripaska going. I lost alot of faith in senate repubs there. I still dont understand the justification they used for it. I mean thats about as black and white as if gets. 

I think there will be at least 4 R Senators that both (1) don't want to set a precedent that any President can simply declare an emergency to circumvent Congress (because they will worry about a future Democrat President doing it) and (2) are in a position politically to go against Trump.  

I didn't really follow the sanctions stuff, so you may be right.  

28 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I think there will be at least 4 R Senators that both (1) don't want to set a precedent that any President can simply declare an emergency to circumvent Congress (because they will worry about a future Democrat President doing it) and (2) are in a position politically to go against Trump.  

The Republican Senate has benefited from Harry Reid changing the rules on Supreme Court (is it all judicial) nominees.  I'd think at least a few of them have noticed and don't want to make a similar mistake here, guaranteeing a future Democratic president this option.

Can you imagine in 30 years if we have President AOC declaring a national emergency for Medicare for All, illegal immigrants, guaranteed salaries for all, and a 90% upper tier tax bracket?  The Republican faithful might dig up McConnell's corpse to desecrate it.

Edited by Forehead
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I didn't really follow the sanctions stuff, so you may be right.  

24 minutes ago, Forehead said:

The Republican Senate has benefited from Harry Reid changing the rules on Supreme Court (is it all judicial) nominees.  I'd think at least a few of them have noticed and don't want to make a similar mistake here, guaranteeing a future Democratic president this option.

Can you imagine in 30 years if we have President AOC declaring a national emergency for Medicare for All, illegal immigrants, guaranteed salaries for all, and a 90% upper tier tax bracket?  The Republican faithful might dig up McConnell's corpse to desecrate it.

Actually think makes alot of sense. I wasnt thinking about what they have to lose if they DONT vote against it. The President AOC thing is a perfect example. They have to be thinking about something like that. 

My only reaction to @Forehead's reasoning (which I totally agree with) is, I don't think they are or should be primarily worried about President AOC in 30 years.  If this happens, they should be worried about President Whoever in 2 years.  Allowing a President to declare a national emergency for any bull**** reason would drastically and immediately alter the power structure in DC, and every President going forward would absolutely exercise that power if they felt is was needed to advance their agenda.  

For example, assuming a Democrat wins in 2020, that person, whoever it is, is almost certainly going to have run on some platform that dramatically increases access to healthcare, either Medicare for All or something similar.  In order to do that, given that we are what?  18 months removed from Senate Republicans killing Obamacare but for one (1) surprise no vote by the late John McCain, there is basically no way to pass a dramatic healthcare bill through the normal process.  Barring a historic Senate election in 2020, that President is either going to have to convince Congress to kill the filibuster rule or be able to declare a national emergency to get it done.  

the article is kinda interesting (from tweet above)

First signs of border wall construction spotted at National Butterfly Center

MISSION — Heavy equipment has arrived at the National Butterfly Center, signaling the start of a border wall that will slice through the protected habitat.

edit

As equipment for the construction was off-loaded Monday morning, a group of about 35 tribal members, including the Floresville-based Carrizo Comecrudo, marched in protest on the Rio Grande levee where the wall will be built. “I didn’t expect it this soon,” said Juan Mancias, tribal chair of Carrizo Comecrudo, who led the protest with an eagle feather staff in hand. “But there’s a constant uneasiness.”

The wall will include a 150-foot-wide “enforcement zone,” according to federal documents, which could also destroy gravesites of Mancias’ ancestors at the Eli Jackson Cemetery in San Juan.

edit

“You come over here, you see the butterflies here, the animals here, and you also see gravesites that have been here since 1865,” Mancias said. He feels a kinship with the butterfly center. He said that, in a sense, they’re both dedicated to “saving that which is native to Texas” — be it butterflies or the history of its native people. “We have an association with nature, we are a part of it,” Mancias said. The protesters sang songs in the native Lakota language. A verse in one song says: “We know that everything is sacred, so we walk with everything that is sacred.”

Lorri Burnett, a community organizer for Defenders of Wildlife, walked with them. The Trump administration is waiving 28 environmental laws to build the wall, a decision that brought a lawsuit in November by Defenders of Wildlife, which asserts that the waivers exceed the government’s authority.

“This isn’t due process,” Burnett said, because the butterfly center isn’t on federal land. “I’m here for my grandchildren,” she said. “This is the most pristine, most beautiful area I have ever witnessed. This is gorgeous. And to know that my grandchildren will never be able to see this … the damage that is going to be done by this wall is going to take centuries to rebuild, if it can.”

In a separate dispute, the government will argue in court Wednesday for access to survey land of the historic La Lomita Chapel, farther downriver in Mission. The Catholic Diocese of Brownsville has refused to provide access at the site, which would be stranded between the Rio Grande and the planned wall.

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, visionary said:

Read the article, the butterfly sanctuary is just part of what’s in danger.

I know but still, would it be inappropriate to tell him "**** you and the butterfly you rode in on"?......... guess I'll ask Northam's wife

Edited by LD0506
Goddam punctuation
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, LD0506 said:

I know but still, would it be inappropriate to tell him "**** you and the butterfly you rode in"......... guess I'll ask Northam's wife

No sympathy from me... Let it all burn

Want that scarring in their soul... So they know what is to vote for trash who destroys everything they hold and love dearly.... And hopefully they remember this crap the next time they hear another charlatan spewing lies and bs

Edited by killerbee99