Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump Border Wall Post-Shutdown Discussion (Wall-Fight)

Fergasun

8 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Schumer's stupid.  He had to know the bad optics and headlines it would generate.  Much better path would have been to pass the bill.  Have the house pass it too.  Then when Trump signs it, hammer him on why he's willing to pay the Coast Guard but not put the other workers back to work.  And also hammer McConnell for not taking up the piecemeal funding legislation that house has been passing ("I'm glad the brave men and women of the Coast Guard can rest easy with their wages, but we still have TSA security personnel.  Air traffic controllers.  Department of Justice.  US federal court system.  People who uphold the very law and order of our federal government who are unable to work or working without pay.  We have federal workers who have to line up at food banks.  We did the sensible thing by restoring pay for our men and women of the Coast Guard.  Let's do the same for the rest of furloughed federal workers.").  The damn speech writes itself.  Stupid stupid stupid.  

100% wrong. The Dems passed a bill to open DHS and Kennedy wasn’t for it and didn’t push for the bill to be voted on. So **** that guy.

Edited by Hersh
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Schumer's stupid.  He had to know the bad optics and headlines it would generate.  Much better path would have been to pass the bill.  Have the house pass it too.  Then when Trump signs it, hammer him on why he's willing to pay the Coast Guard but not put the other workers back to work.  And also hammer McConnell for not taking up the piecemeal funding legislation that house has been passing ("I'm glad the brave men and women of the Coast Guard can rest easy with their wages, but we still have TSA security personnel.  Air traffic controllers.  Department of Justice.  US federal court system.  People who uphold the very law and order of our federal government who are unable to work or working without pay.  We have federal workers who have to line up at food banks.  We did the sensible thing by restoring pay for our men and women of the Coast Guard.  Let's do the same for the rest of furloughed federal workers.").  The damn speech writes itself.  Stupid stupid stupid.  

There are no bad optics for Schumer.  The guy brought it up, Schumer said "can we pay everyone, not just the Coast Guard?" and the guy said Trump won't allow that.  Read the article, not just the headline.  

Here's the video:

Edited by PleaseBlitz

7 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I disagree. This piecemeal funding of government is an albatross. It prevents urgency from solving the damn issue.

The fact is, the government needs to be opened. There are real dangers to our national security and our safety/health by keeping it closed. Masking it with these bandaids does nothing but ease the pressure on those who need to resolve this.

3 minutes ago, Hersh said:

100% wrong. The Dems passed a bill to open DHS and Kennedy wasn’t for it and didn’t push for the bill to be voted on. So **** that guy.

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

There are no bad optics for Schumer.  The guy brought it up, Schumer said "can we pay everyone, not just the Coast Guard?" and the guy said Trump won't allow that.  Read the article, not just the headline.  

Here's the video:

Well clearly I'm in the minority 😂

I did read the article, but again the concern isn't that the people who pay attention will be swayed, but those non-trumpian, yet still low information voters.  I think once the first domino falls, opening the rest becomes much easier (if we just paid the coast guards, why shouldn't xyz get paid too?  If we are paying people, why not get them back to work? so forth).  House is already trying the incremental legislation to an extent (DHS only instead of the entire government), so it's not like it's new.  I think dem position should be we want to open as much of the government as possible as soon as possible without any strings attached.  If it comes in 1000 different bills to open one office at a time, so be it.

"Sixty percent of Americans say Trump bears a great deal of responsibility for the shutdown. About a third place the same amount of blame on congressional Democrats (31 percent) or Republicans (36 percent). https://www.marke****ch.com/story/poll-shows-a-vast-majority-of-americans-blame-president-trump-for-shutdown-2019-01-24?link=sfmw_tw

This is why R's on begging for a CR, why D's aren't budging, and why Trump/Sanders are just making it worse. 

trump was quoted in statement per shumer/mcpos discussions cum graham/pence/portman others as needing a down payment (undisclosed amount) on wall as part of reopen, and as pundits were wondering if you could even go by "who's saying what" holding up on the goper side for an hour before trump changes it, about ten minutes later trump already had revised it to a "large" down payment (still unspecified) amount

Just now, NoCalMike said:

"Give me what I want and we can re-open Gov't for 3 weeks, at which time give me more of what I want or I am shutting it down again"

Come on.

Exactly, I'll only do this if you give me some of what I want. But don't consider that I'll do this again and again and again because.......

Bottomline is Trump should not be tying The Wall or any single project for that matter to a budget that keeps the government open and functioning properly.  If he wants the wall then it is on him to go to congress and negotiate and make a deal for the wall itself.  If he can't too bad, he isn't a king or dictator, pass the budget to keep things running and worry about the wall afterwards.

The shutdown is on him and who knows when it will end until he realizes how wrong-headed he is on this.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Bottomline is Trump should not be tying The Wall or any single project for that matter to a budget that keeps the government open and functioning properly.  If he wants the wall then it is on him to go to congress and negotiate and make a deal for the wall itself.  If he can't too bad, he isn't a king or dictator, pass the budget to keep things running and worry about the wall afterwards.

The shutdown is on him and who knows when it will end until he realizes how wrong-headed he is on this.

Or at the very least, make an argument for the wall that generates enough support among the American people that Congress feels pressured to comply. Part of the problem is that Trump has failed to make his case. Almost no one buys his argument that the wall is important, crucial, necessary, or that we are under imminent threat without it.