Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump Border Wall Post-Shutdown Discussion (Wall-Fight)

Fergasun

5 minutes ago, Hersh said:

GOP is burying themselves if they vote against the clean bill. That will cost them virtually every federal worker's vote next election. Someone must know this on their side. Maybe Trump allows McConnell to pass it and reopen the government so Trump can give his SOTU speech. 

Voting for it will cost them at least half of the hardcore Trump supporters.  And there are more of those than federal workers in most states with a R senator. 

Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

Voting for it will cost them at least half of the hardcore Trump supporters.  And there are more of those than federal workers in most states with a R senator. 

I'm not sure I fully buy that argument. You certainly could be right, but it's an easy sell to his supporters that we need to keep America safe and that means opening the government. 

8 minutes ago, Hersh said:

GOP is burying themselves if they vote against the clean bill. That will cost them virtually every federal worker's vote next election. Someone must know this on their side. Maybe Trump allows McConnell to pass it and reopen the government so Trump can give his SOTU speech. 

Yeah, I don;t see why Skippy would remotely consider allowing the Senate to vote on a clean bill.  Either they pass it overwhelmingly (and tick off Trump and his absolutely powerful base), or they absolutely cement that they (the whole GOP, not just Trump) own this shutdown.  

And I don't see how anybody would have the leverage to force him to allow the vote.  

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

I'm not sure I fully buy that argument. You certainly could be right, but it's an easy sell to his supporters that we need to keep America safe and that means opening the government. 

I'm just as on the fence as you are.  I hope I'm wrong and some Republicans find their co-equal nutsacks and do the smart/right/mature thing.  

27 minutes ago, Larry said:

Yeah, I don;t see why Skippy would remotely consider allowing the Senate to vote on a clean bill.  Either they pass it overwhelmingly (and tick off Trump and his absolutely powerful base), or they absolutely cement that they (the whole GOP, not just Trump) own this shutdown.  

And I don't see how anybody would have the leverage to force him to allow the vote.  

I think the House CR barely passes or loses in a Pence tie breaker (though maybe McConnell can keep his troops inline). Trump's bill probably gets all Rs and 0 Ds. Neither goes all the way, Trump's would be DOA in the House and I can't imagine Trump not vetoing the other. I think Schumer told McConnell he'd never get a vote on Trump's without a vote for the house bill and Mitch decided he neede to show some motion.

57 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Well that could really hurt them in Maryland and Virginia.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

I think the House CR barely passes or loses in a Pence tie breaker (though maybe McConnell can keep his troops inline). Trump's bill probably gets all Rs and 0 Ds. Neither goes all the way, Trump's would be DOA in the House and I can't imagine Trump not vetoing the other. I think Schumer told McConnell he'd never get a vote on Trump's without a vote for the house bill and Mitch decided he neede to show some motion.

I'd love to see your whip count on this one.  

2 minutes ago, visionary said:

True.  Along with perhaps the other 48 states where federal employees work and live.  

I said really hurt them I used the adjective for a reason. Pleaseblitz boiled it down accurately. BTW this doesn't make me happy in the least.

Edited by nonniey

6 minutes ago, nonniey said:

I said really hurt them I used the adjective for a reason. Pleaseblitz boiled it down accurately. BTW this doesn't make me happy in the least.

Ok, fair point. I wasn't sure, but thought maybe you were trying to imply that the rest of the country shouldn't or wouldn't care.  I think these sorts of things tend to branch out more than we realize.  (For every person initially affected you get more and more as things go on)

Edited by visionary

See this is still going nowhere fast.  Already updated resume just in case this finally hits home, looks like its heading there. 

This going to go all the way up until point SNAP runs out at this rate, its become too personal for both sides, it stopped being about policy a while ago.  If dude is willing to focus on a fence over a wall and it's still being called a wall, the whole situation just looks childish on both sides now.

If they let food stamps run out because they can't agree on want he wants just that they won't give it to him, we don't deserve to be leader of the free world anymore.  Our government looks pathetically inept right now incapable of talking about how to prevent another shutdown in same breathe of trying to end this one.  

Arguing about if the house is actually on fire or not while inside the house...

3 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

This is a 50 vote threshold. More than 3 R senators have expressed support for opening gov and the negotiating border issue.

I think it's 60. 

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/senate-majority-leader-mitch-mcconnell-set-introduce-bill/story?id=60537713

But there will be movement in the Senate in the coming days following an announcement by President Donald Trump over the weekend that would trade protections for DACA recipients -- undocumented immigrants brought to the U.S. illegally as children -- for wall funding. Though the plan was quickly rejected by Democrats, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell announced on the Senate floor Tuesday that there would be a vote on a bill resembling the president's plan.

"It's a strong proposal, its the only thing on the table and later this week we'll vote on it," McConnell said Tuesday afternoon. Senate leaders later Tuesday announced there would be votes Thursday both on the GOP plan and a House Democratic measure to reopen and fund the government. Both will need 60 votes to advance.

It's a numbers thing.  McConnell expects Trump's proposal to get more votes than the Dem one, which is something he can sort of control, at least a little.  Trump's proposal gets 53, House one gets between 47 and 52.

Then he can run to the press and spin.  "Our proposal is supported by the President and more Senators, therefore it should pass blah blah blah blah blah."

The end goal is now and has been for a couple weeks a hope, a cynical cynical hope, that the public will be too stupid to see the absolute con job the GOP and Trump are running.