Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump Border Wall Post-Shutdown Discussion (Wall-Fight)

Fergasun

I do find a little irony that some wait for the economic impact to be so great Trump ad Republicans can no longer ignore the damage they do. Among the casualties of the furlough is the Census which collects many of the monthly indicators for the economy and employment numbers.  So we have removed many of our most consistant ways to measure the economy at a time some hope the infrmatio might encourage an end to this madness?

Am I crazy to want data driven decisions made by my government?

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Not surprising but still sad.  And something that needs to be addressed.  But since we have already run to our corners on who is to blame, I doubt it is worth discussing.  

And yes, **** the government for putting people in this position.  No disagreement there.  But yelling at the drunk driver doesn't do much for you except point out you should have gotten the uninsured motorist coverage.  Idiots will cause you pain you dont deserve.  But you need to be prepared for it.

12 minutes ago, gbear said:

I do find a little irony that some wait for the economic impact to be so great Trump ad Republicans can no longer ignore the damage they do. Among the casualties of the furlough is the Census which collects many of the monthly indicators for the economy and employment numbers.  So we have removed many of our most consistant ways to measure the economy at a time some hope the infrmatio might encourage an end to this madness?

Am I crazy to want data driven decisions made by my government?

It's a long way off, but in a few months, publicly traded companies are going to report their Q1 financials, and a lot of them are going to be disasters and blame them on the shutdown if it keeps going.  

9 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Not sure how others feel about it, but I think Pelosi's move to disinvite Trump from giving the State of the Union was an inspired move. Hit him where it hurts... His ego. Trump craves attention.

I love the move by Pelosi (especially blaming it on his own administration's mandates, which is simple trolling), but he'll contrive some other way to get attention, and the media will play right along.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Not sure how others feel about it, but I think Pelosi's move to disinvite Trump from giving the State of the Union was an inspired move. Hit him where it hurts... His ego. Trump craves attention.

It's got to sting that he's being repeatedly punked by a female.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I don't mean this as a shot at those that have been furloughed.  But one result of this whole debacle is we as a society need to focus more on budgeting and personal financial emergency preparing.  I'm sure most of us have heard that you should have X number of months (I've heard 3, 6, 9, 12, etc) of your normal income in savings in case of emergency.  The more stories I hear, the more it sounds like this isn't commonplace.  And it really should be.

*Yes, I know not everyone can do this, different people have different circumstances, blah blah blah.  This isn't a defense of the shutdown or blame towards those furloughed.  Just a general statement of concern.  Now commence flaming me.

I'll do it. 

While everyone knows what they should be doing, SOME SIMPLY CANNOT. It takes everything just to keep going. 

And I'll end it there. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, nonniey said:

Here's another WaPo article discussing how GOP Congressmen were lukewarm to the wall:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/01/15/republicans-spent-two-years-resisting-trumps-border-wall-what-changed/?utm_term=.f709572f26ab

Congress is basically useless. The problem with this whole thing is that there is so much mistrust that any agreement is going to get torpedoed by extremists on either side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

I think both sides are true. There are some who overspend and some whose salaries barely keep their heads above water. However, it's not a bad idea to always recheck your expenditures now and then and make sure your ship is water tight.

I mean.....if there is a field of work that you think would be pretty consistantly it would be the ****ing government. 

But. Naw. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

We do not have walls currently. We have fencing in high traffic areas and in some spots, vehicular barriers.

Uh, I'm pretty sure that we have had barriers for at least a decade (probably more than one) where I think "wall" is the correct label. In some places, like where cities push right up against the border. (I think San Diego is one of them?)

Edited by Larry

One question I saw that was interesting regarding the Pelosi SOTU business.  I'm pretty sure none of us know the answer but it's fun to discuss.

What if Trump says F it and goes to Congress anyways?  Do they attempt to not let him in?  Do DC police get involved and have to go as far as arresting people for trespassing?  Does Secret Service have to pick a side?  Does Trump try to call up a small amount of National Guard to help him get in?  Like WTF would even happen if he tried something like that?

It's just the type of power play I could see him try.

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

One question I saw that was interesting regarding the Pelosi SOTU business.  I'm pretty sure none of us know the answer but it's fun to discuss.

What if Trump says F it and goes to Congress anyways?  Do they attempt to not let him in?  Do DC police get involved and have to go as far as arresting people for trespassing?  Does Secret Service have to pick a side?  Does Trump try to call up a small amount of National Guard to help him get in?  Like WTF would even happen if he tried something like that?

He'll be there, maybe some Rs.

But I'll be tuned out. And I haven't missed one since Ford. 

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

He could, but it wouldn't officially be the SOTU, and there wouldn't be any Ds there. He probably will pull a stunt if this thing is still going on. God help us if it gets to that point.

Details on the process for the SOTU here:
https://www.springfieldnewssun.com/news/national/state-the-union-address-can-nancy-pelosi-rescind-donald-trump-invitation/t0TQQVPpCmVTpd9PDsiO7H/

• Sad 1

Considering no Dems want the border wall and more plenty of (R)'s seem to not want it either, I am wondering how much of this shutdown is even about the border wall anymore and more a tantrum by Trump as a final spiteful act he can put into action against the opposition party.  Basically, "if I can't have things my way, there will be no way period"  

• Like 1

Just now, NoCalMike said:

Considering no Dems want the border wall and more plenty of (R)'s seem to not want it either, I am wondering how much of this shutdown is even about the border wall anymore and more a tantrum by Trump as a final spiteful act he can put into action against the opposition party.  Basically, "if I can't have things my way, there will be no way period"  

Anymore?  This was never about a wall. It was always, from day 1, about Trump’s ego.  This whole thing started because Limbaugh and Coulter called him a **** (cat). Before that, we went 2 years with no wall funding and nary a peep from Trump. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Larry said:

I disagree with canceling SOTU. Think it's petty, grandstanding, and an incredible break from our nation's norms. 

And before somebody points it out, OK, maybe it's not as bad as the shutdown. But two wrongs, and all that. 

It’s about time Trump bore the consequences of people breaking norms, rather than being the constant beneficiary of doing it himself. 

Pelosi should announce that she’ll let him speak if he releases his tax returns. :ols:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2