Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump Border Wall Post-Shutdown Discussion (Wall-Fight)

Fergasun

Here’s a good quote and fully factual!

The original 2006 act provided for "at least two layers of reinforced fencing" to be built. However, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) successfully argued to Congress "that different border terrains required different types of fencing, that a one-size-fits-all approach across the entire border didn't make sense."[6] An amendment introduced by Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison, Republican of Texas, was passed, amending the law to read: "nothing in this paragraph shall require the Secretary of Homeland Security to install fencing, physical barriers, roads, lighting, cameras, and sensors in a particular location along an international border of the United States, if the Secretary determines that the use or placement of such resources is not the most appropriate means to achieve and maintain operational control over the international border at such location."

• Thanks 1

keep in mind that, setting aside your personal politics and just trying detached observation/analysis of the politics in play, any reasonably intelligent honest person will note that trump's offer is so pointless/worthless in actual structure---and that's ignoring the standard litany of false claims and deal-scuttling insults---it doesn't even register as an intelligent/serious attempt...so when you see all these big name gopers who usually try to appear at least a little more informed, honest, and sane than the hard-core trump allies now stand there and pretend this was a good faith and reasonable offer it really looks to many centrist folks that the gop is now very close to just being a failed sewer of a party, despite all the rooskie subsidizing they've been enjoying, and needs to be dramatically deconstructed or at least reconfigured....and soon, hopefully, so we can devote more attention to the dumpster fire that is the dems all too often...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, twa said:

I will.

They voted for it to gain favor/political cover then neglected the funding.

in other words, the usual.

Ah. So, they didn't actually vote for funding for a wall. 

Guess we won't be hearing the claim that they already voted for it, any more. 

• Like 1

Just now, Larry said:

Ah. So, they didn't actually vote for funding for a wall. 

Guess we won't be hearing the claim that they already voted for it, any more. 

they certainly voted for a double layer barrier with a road to patrol it in the middle......of course that was before a election :ols:

2 minutes ago, twa said:

they certainly voted for a double layer barrier with a road to patrol it in the middle......of course that was before a election :ols:

But you said they didn't fund it. 

Maybe they thought Mexico would pay for it?  

Did they appropriate funding for Trump's wall, or not?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Larry said:

Wow. I guess we've already got the wall. 

Guess we don't need any extra money, then. I mean, since what we already passed is the same as what Trump wants, and all. 

Needing the money for a wall or not, that wasn’t my point. My point that the dems voted for a barrier before but now they are acting like it’s worth shutting down the government over.  And it’s not the 6 billion they take issue with this time, it’s a single dime.  The republicans had plenty of time to build a wall if they really wanted one, but now they are acting like it’s worth shutting the government down over.  

The difference is the republicans are “offering deals” they know the democrats won’t take (like a temporary daca deal instead of a permanent one) while the democrats response is a flat no.  I would rather them “offer deals” than pack their **** up and go home.   

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Needing the money for a wall or not, that wasn’t my point. My point that the dems voted for a barrier before but now they are acting like it’s worth shutting down the government over.  And it’s not the 6 billion they take issue with this time, it’s a single dime.  The republicans had plenty of time to build a wall if they really wanted one, but now they are acting like it’s worth shutting the government down over.  

The difference is the republicans are “offering deals” they know the democrats won’t take (like a temporary daca deal instead of a permanent one) while the democrats response is a flat no.  I would rather them “offer deals” than pack their **** up and go home.   

Only the Ds are passing legislation , so there's that. And again, it's not about border security, it's about a monument to Trumpism. As such it's an opportunity created by Trump for Democrats to force Republicans to break from his idiocy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

If Democrats don't change their strategy, they are going to end up settling on $5 billion for the wall, for citizenship path for limited Dreamers, and reopening the government.

Doubt it, the Democrats have the upper hand on this one. They're going to make trump pull his "national emergency" card.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I would rather them “offer deals” than pack their **** up and go home.   

I await your campaign. You can't stand your ground for the good of your constituents then cave to a 5th grader with daddy issues. 

And I heard that it's honestly seriously most certainly infrastructure week. 

• Like 2

Dems need to stick with saying, "we won't negotiate until the government is open."

The best Trump can get is $5.7B security and no wall. Let's remember HIS ADMINISTRATION asked for $1.3B.

2005, 2013 discussions are all irrelevant. He took away the DACA that he wants to give back.

A true Senate bill on the floor open to all amendments is going to take longer than a week. So the Dems will block it, and back to the negotiations with another paycheck missed.

This is smokescreen trying to relieve some of the bad PR on both McConnell and Trump. Just reopen the government and then take up border security like any normal freakin Congress.

It's not Pelosi's fault Trump didn't realize he lost the chance for a wall.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The stupid, it burns: Vice President Mike Pence says President Donald Trump is like the late Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. because Trump is “inspiring us” with a border wall.

Appearing on the Sunday mornings edition of Face the Nation on CBS News, Pence told host Margaret Brennan that Donald Trump was like Martin Luther King Jr. because both men were interested in making real “the promise of Democracy.”

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2019/01/pence-claims-trump-is-just-like-martin-luther-king-jr-for-inspiring-us-with-border-wall/?fbclid=IwAR3GQ3JULw-ivByHRv5z3-csyUEHaBNk2pFOq7_Ghsra0lPsVxoznHjAR7A

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

My point that the dems voted for a barrier before but now they are acting like it’s worth shutting down the government over.  

The Democrats did not shut down the government. Donald Trump did. 

The Democrats are not keeping the government shut down. Donald Trump is. 

Donald Trump is the person who decided to attach conditions to not shutting down the government, and he is the person continuing to keep those conditions attached. 

The Democrats are not making demands to resume the government. They are simply refusing to comply with the orders of the person who is. 

If ISIS threatens to behead an American unless Israel withdraws their settlements, and Israel refuses to do so, and ISIS beheads him, then Israel did not kill him. No matter how many times ISIS points out that gee, if Israel had only complied with their demands, then they wouldn't have killed him. In fact, they are not both equally at fault. Only one side chose to attach those settlements and a beheading. And only one side carried out their threat. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You can tell when somebody arguing their point realizes they are full of ****. They stop saying "Wall" and start saying border security or barrier instead. If the Dems offered $100B mixed use man power, technology, cameras vehicles, everything else that makes a ton of sense because it would include airports, and seaports too. It'll be rejected because it's not... A wall. 

Edited by @SkinsGoldPants
  • Confused 1