Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump Border Wall Post-Shutdown Discussion (Wall-Fight)

Fergasun

33 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

What does Mitch McConnell's inaction mean? Is he just trying to protect his Senators or himself? Does he see negotiating with Trump as pointless?

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/senate-majority-leader-mitch-mcconnell-stands-back-as-shutdown-drags-on?fbclid=IwAR2PGiebmEscuDG4X06CagYlVaA37Yicq_Xu4ZyT0OuHeNZ20JERSYB3j8U

He's protecting both.  Negotiating with Trump is a waste of time because if you strike a deal with him and then somebody criticizes on Fox News 10 minutes later, he'll change his mind.

I've said before, I essentially agree with Larry.  Even now, the Democrats should be quite and be passing bills.  Instead, they've allowed the narrative to change.  Keep the narrative on we're passing bills that people want to see passed and even including funding for border security in them.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

What does Mitch McConnell's inaction mean? 

I can think of at least a few things that would cause this. 

One is is that he already had one bill lined up for Trump to sign, till Ann Coulter told him to change his mind, resulting in him being reluctant to trust Trump not to change his mind again. 

Another is that his troops really do not want to have to choose between alienating 60% of the voters, or 70% of Republican primary voters. 

Another is that his present plan allows him to not piss off the Trump voters, while allowing Trump to take the blame for the shutdown. As long as he doesn't allow any votes, then there's no shutdown news with his name on it in the news cycle. 

Or maybe it's just a case of

xin-turtle-shell.jpg.pagespeed.ic.h8dsB1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

He's protecting both.  Negotiating with Trump is a waste of time because if you strike a deal with him and then somebody criticizes on Fox News 10 minutes later, he'll change his mind.

I've said before, I essentially agree with Larry.  Even now, the Democrats should be quite and be passing bills.  Instead, they've allowed the narrative to change.  Keep the narrative on we're passing bills that people want to see passed and even including funding for border security in them.

He's protecting himself mainly. If he allows a vote and then something else passes and Trump rejects it again. Then what? more GOP Senators vote in favor again? I doubt it. But what if? What if they can overide his Veto? He would go scorched earth on the GOP until his stroke or heart attack or overdose. 

As far as quietly passing bills. I half agree with that. They've allowed "Wall" to become "Border Security" instead of passing something amazing for border security that includes nothing that can be used for a wall. But I said that before and was told that you can't negotiate with terrorists. So, it would be pointless and a bad look. Maybe they should be focusing bigly on points of entry like Airports and Seaports. Really throw support into going after the drugs and the weapons and the smuggled humans. Ask why if it's the biggest issue we have. 

Edited by @SkinsGoldPants
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

What does Mitch McConnell's inaction mean? Is he just trying to protect his Senators or himself? Does he see negotiating with Trump as pointless?

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/senate-majority-leader-mitch-mcconnell-stands-back-as-shutdown-drags-on?fbclid=IwAR2PGiebmEscuDG4X06CagYlVaA37Yicq_Xu4ZyT0OuHeNZ20JERSYB3j8U

It’s amazing that Dems have failed to turn McConnell into everything wrong with DC politics. He’s the swampiest piece of **** in DC.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

I mean honestly him resigning is looking pretty likely at this point anyhow.

I wish. :ols:

I think he is being put in a position staying will be his preference.(unless some private deal is made)

13 minutes ago, twa said:

I wish. :ols:

I think he is being put in a position staying will be his preference.(unless some private deal is made)

I think if he is facing impeachment, and more so criminal prosecution, he bails/ cuts a deal.

This impeachment factor presupposes its bad enough he faces a good chance of conviction in the Senate.

i wish the emergency would become a freak earthquake with the ground splitting underneath and swallowing don and the entire WH press corps during the announcement, with orange, red, and yellow flashes of molten lava below as the earth closes up

also be fun to watch the evangelicals react

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Pretty sure he has to declare an emergency at this point.

His polling is tanking.  He is no closer to a budget with the money than he was before his speech.  He also can't just give in.

At this point to make an announcement that doesn't fundamentally change the status quo is just going to broadcast all the more that he has no clue what he's doing.  He has to change the situation.  Only thing that will do that is declaring an emergency (and immediately getting roflstomped in court but that's a separate matter).

• Like 2

Tomorrow he can steal coverage from the Women’s March, which is the biggest annual ‘**** you’ to Trump and definitely gets under his skin. No other reason to do this on a Saturday.  Once again, a remarkably fragile ego is driving events.  

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 2