Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump Border Wall Post-Shutdown Discussion (Wall-Fight)

Fergasun

13 hours ago, Larry said:

Two days ago, the story about the shutdown was centered around FBI agents and TSA screeners and Coast Guard sailors defending our country for free, while their commanders advised them on where the food banks are. 

And the Dems were willing the story. 

Now, it's about Donald and Nancy ruining each other's photo op junkets. 

Congratulations on resurrecting another month of "I blame both sides". 

This is the Trump era, there's always another story coming to usurp the previous one. Heard about how the President instructed his lawyer to lie to Congress? That'll be fading into memory after the idiocy we're going to see today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't believe how long this **** has gone for. Trump cares about his wall more than our representative democracy, and the GOP is going along with it. He cares more about his vain wall than however many lives become collateral damage. He cares more about his wall than regular government functions which are important for the nation. He cares more about "winning" than the economy as a whole.

And the GOP is lockstep with him.

Screw these people and whatever "voters" support them, its the right wing version of chaos and anarchy.

The moment Trump/GOP drop the wall from these discussions, a deal will be made. They don't care about "border security" -- the government agency responsible for "border security" has been shut down for a month.

Working class Feds have felt the economic squeeze just like everyone else, that there is no concern over missing 2 paychecks is an outrage.

Oh, but they need to win the next election...

21 minutes ago, techboy said:

His name is Jose Andres, and he's awesome. https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/15/us/chef-jose-andres-feeding-federal-workers-shutdown-trnd/index.html

His restaurants are awesome too.

Truth!  Chef Andres is the same guy that basically fed Puerto Rico when Trump decided to just throw paper towels at them.  He's also one of the most influential American chefs of the past 20 years.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Maybe but was just asking how long the Dems would be willing to hold out?  I take it your answer is until January 2021 if necessary?

The real question is how long Senate Republicans can hold out. Trump is unlikely to agree to anything that can pass the Senate. His veto will have to be over ridden.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Maybe but was just asking how long the Dems would be willing to hold out?  I take it your answer is until January 2021 if necessary?

It's interesting that you're asking how long the Dems will be willing to hold out, but why aren't you asking about the republicans?

People forget that in a negotiation, one side gives up something and the next side reciprocates to come in the middle. In this case the democrats have started that process by passing republican bills. The ball is in the GOP's court right now. It's on them to make the next move in negotiations rather than just sit there like a sack of potatoes.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, nonniey said:

I mean, I think the answer might be "indefinitely," so long as polls hold.

I mean, we basically just found out that the President, who started this shutdown bc some Foxhead said the deal he got wasn't good enough, was suborning perjury to Congress, and, depending on written answers to Mueller, may have committed it himself.

Trump's numbers have been dropping pretty badly throughout.  At the start of the shutdown his net approval was like -10, and now it's about -15.

Dems have no incentive to cave to the hostage taker.  They're winning.  People (rightfully) blame Trump.  If polls start to shift, then sure, Dems have to reevaluate, but if things hold, there is zero reason to come to the table.  It'd be like negotiating a peace treaty with Germany in January 1945.

• Like 3