Fergasun

Budget Fight (Trump Mantle / Border Security Shutdown))

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Larry said:

 

In the word "emergency"?

 

Got it.  

 

If today the House Dems were to announce that they will not approve any federal spending measures whatsoever until Trump and Pence both resign, without appointing any replacements, (thus creating President Pelosi), then the shutdown will be Trump's fault.  Because, hey, he could end it tomorrow simply by doing what the people who actually shut down the government are demanding as ransom.  

 

The fact that he did not link his resignation to the functioning of the government, nor is he demanding any concessions on his own, are "talking points".  

 

He's not following orders, ====> his fault.  

 

 

 

Pelosi doesnt have authority to make such a demand in lue of a shutdown, but president trump does have authority to refuse to sign a spending bio he isn’t satisfied with. 

 

Fwiw, I agree that declaration of a national emergency to bypass congress would be overreaching. 

 

Checks and balances on both accounts

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I could end the overcrowding at the local animal shelters by adopting 100 stray Pit Bulls into my house and moving myself into a nearby cave.

 

I have the authority.

 

Edited by TryTheBeal!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

 

Because he wanted to do something and shutting down the government was his only leverage. 

 

It doesn’t make him solely responsible for it. If Democrats wanted to end the shutdown tomorrow they could do it. So they are responsible for it too.

 

 

 

The democrats clearly believe that not funding a wall is more important than funding the government. (And vice versa). 

 

If it makes you feel better, think of it as “democrats deserve credit for the shutdown because they are standing up to Trump and working to ensure that the Statue of Liberty remains the symbol of America, not some expensive ineffective wall”

 

its the same thing really.

 

 

 

This is totally illogical. I’m hoping you are just joking around 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh man the comments in that tweet right above about the "unbelievable vehicles" are HILARIOUS!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Federal Workers Going To Work For Lyft, Uber During Government Shutdown

 

ARLINGTON, Va. (CBS Local) — The partial government shutdown is wreaking havoc on the ride-sharing industry, especially in the nation’s capital.

 

Ride-sharing drivers in Washington, D.C., say tourists and government workers are normally their core customers. But business has come to a screeching halt since the partial government shutdown began Dec. 21.

 

“Whenever the government is shutdown, it really affects us,” driver Cliff Monroe told WJLA on Monday.

 

And now, some of the 800,000 government workers who are not being paid are getting behind the wheel to make ends meet.

 

“With the government shutdown, you have more people working for the government doing Uber, and for the full-time Uber drivers, that is really affecting us too, and our money,” said ride-share driver Nate Murrell.

 

Click on the link for the full article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

 

 

Pelosi doesnt have authority to make such a demand in lue of a shutdown, but president trump does have authority to refuse to sign a spending bio he isn’t satisfied with. 

 

Fwiw, I agree that declaration of a national emergency to bypass congress would be overreaching. 

 

Checks and balances on both accounts

Pelosi individually wouldn't have such a power, but House Dems collectively do.  Name me a spending bill that can be enacted without majority of House votes.  Just because you are legally entitled to do something doesn't mean that it is moral or responsible to do it.  I won't pass or sign a spending bill until I get my way on another issue is irresponsible governance, plain and simple.

Edited by bearrock
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t get the down playing of the situation by resisting the use of the word crisis.  There are 42,000 people on average, per day, in immigration detention.  Many children, some of which are getting lost or adopted away from their families without consent.  There are over 10 million undocumented, and thus vulnerable, people inside the US.  The immigration situation looks very much like a humanitarian crisis to me.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Pelosi individually wouldn't have such a power, but House Dems collectively do.  Name me a spending bill that can be enacted without majority of House votes.  Just because you are legally entitled to do something doesn't mean that it is moral or responsible to do it.  I won't pass or sign a spending bill until I get my way on another issue is irresponsible governance, plain and simple.

Not sure if this goes to your point, but the House has passed a CR, and the Senate refuses to vote on it. I at least think they should vote it up or down, and if the vote is up let Trump veto. Then work from there to override or compromise.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

Not sure if this goes to your point, but the House has passed a CR, and the Senate refuses to vote on it. I at least think they should vote it up or down, and if the vote is up let Trump veto. Then work from there to override or compromise.

 

 

Seems reasonable to me...

 

12 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Pelosi individually wouldn't have such a power, but House Dems collectively do.  Name me a spending bill that can be enacted without majority of House votes.  Just because you are legally entitled to do something doesn't mean that it is moral or responsible to do it.  I won't pass or sign a spending bill until I get my way on another issue is irresponsible governance, plain and simple.

 

 

Im not exactly sure what you mean by “house dems... do” but if you mean impeachment then they do have the right, and they won the election and they have the votes. It is up to them if it’s worth the political fight.

 

 

You are right. moral and responsible are different from allowed, but to suggest Donald trump is immoral for using his only leverage is not correct (whether or not the wall is moral or responsible is a separate issue).

 

You are right. House dems passed a spending bill that did not provide enough money for border security (according to the president) knowing full well it was never getting passed. A political act. The dems believe the wall is worth a shut down or they would have passed a cr with the money in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, twa said:

Where is urgent required in the authority?

 

Aren't there ones still in place from a decade ago?

maybe implied in the word "emergency" Emergency powers are needed when the situation is dire and urgent. Otherwise, normal powers ought to suffice, no?

 

Sigh. Remember when conservative used to argue for limiting executive power? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Destino said:

I don’t get the down playing of the situation by resisting the use of the word crisis.  There are 42,000 people on average, per day, in immigration detention.  Many children, some of which are getting lost or adopted away from their families without consent.  There are over 10 million undocumented, and thus vulnerable, people inside the US.  The immigration situation looks very much like a humanitarian crisis to me.  

 

 

That's not what Trump is calling a crisis.

 

I agree with you though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-shutdown-poll-idUSKCN1P223U

 

A growing number of Americans blame Trump for shutdown: Reuters-Ipsos poll

 

Quote

The national opinion poll, which ran from Jan. 1 to Jan. 7, found that 51 percent of adults believe Trump “deserves most of the blame” for the shutdown, which entered its 18th day on Tuesday. That is up 4 percentage points from a similar poll that ran from Dec. 21 to 25.

 

Another 32 percent blame congressional Democrats for the shutdown and 7 percent blame congressional Republicans, according to the poll. Those percentages are mostly unchanged from the previous poll.

 

Edited by PleaseBlitz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, visionary said:
“Unbelievable vehicles, stronger bigger and faster etc 

 

Wasnt this the plot to Fast and Furious (4)? 

 

Theyre just getting into their tricked out hot rods and driving drugs across the border and nobody can stop them! 

 

He doesn’t even try anymore 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

 

Wasnt this the plot to Fast and Furious (4)? 

 

Theyre just getting into their tricked out hot rods and driving drugs across the border and nobody can stop them! 

 

He doesn’t even try anymore 

 

It's Mad Max dude.

 

Mexicans:

 

Related image

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Oh man the comments in that tweet right above about the "unbelievable vehicles" are HILARIOUS!

 

What in the hell is he talking about?  Those unbelievable vehicles that cause so many migrants to be stranded in the desert?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Isn’t 4 percent within the margin of error???

 

No. It is not.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

 

It's Mad Max dude.

 

Mexicans:

 

Related image

Taking orders from their leader, Immortan Jose.

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Forehead said:

 

What in the hell is he talking about?  Those unbelievable vehicles that cause so many migrants to be stranded in the desert?

 

871a1c16-0ac5-4563-9ed9-ebbfdc297633-jpe

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, visionary said:
 

 

 

 

This should be grounds for invoking the 25th amendment. It would be hilarious as a piece from the onion but  wow, he is a giant ****ing idiot. He’s dumb as rocks when it comes to everything policy related.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.