Sign in to follow this  
KDawg

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Jaguars

Recommended Posts

Pros: 

 

-I wouldn't say Josh Johnson was "good" but he was still the primary force that gave the team a chance to win the game. Luke Bullwinkle at the RG and Karen at LG were revolving doors. Part of that is they are both brand spanking new to the team. Part of that is I'm not sure how good they are. But AP didn't have any room to run (more on this in a second). Johnson made a few great plays with his legs and a couple of fantastic throws. I'm not saying the guy is the future, but with this broken line he certainly gave the team a chance.

 

-Adrian Peterson, despite the lack of stats, came through when it mattered most and closed the games with some ferocious runs. That was so fun to watch. I really want him back next year with Guice. Those two with Thompson (or Marshall) and Bibbs (sigh... I miss you already) are a solid group. 

 

-Michael Floyd... He's been hit and miss. Has dropped some gimmes this year but he comes up with some great catches in traffic, too. He's a guy worth looking at moving forward.

 

-The defensive front proved why they are our best unit by a mile. The pressure they put on Kessler was awesome. 

 

-I mentioned Kerrigan as a guy that should be looked at to move on from (but didn't advocate moving on from him) last week. I amend that statement after watching him this week. Not just because of his play. But because that dude is the heartbeat of the team. 

 

-Dix made a good play.

 

Cons:

 

-Winning may just save Bruce Allen's job. If it were ever in jeopardy to begin with. If he stays, I really hope he hears some of the backlash against him and fixes some things because that will leave a sour taste in my mouth. 

 

-Not much else negative to say. We know the issues with the team. We know the team is beat up. We know they are still a long shot for the playoffs despite the win. But I'm choosing to enjoy a win on a Sunday.

 

Hail to the Redskins

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at the game yesterday. Although I refuse to attend anymore home games until Bruce is fired (Jay needs to go too)., I wanted to root for Josh Johnson, and was hoping we had a good showing. 

I also was allowed to bring this sign into the stadium. With around 25% Redskins fans at the game, it was a fun 1.5 hours of cruising all levels of the stadium pre-game. Especially holding the sign up towards the Visitor’s Luxury boxes!  Hoping Dan and the gang saw it.  One older woman had a look of disdain and gave me the thumbs down. I responded by pointing to the sign and holding my nose. 

 

It was a big win and the team showed heart and guts!

77449846-8CEB-49B7-924E-BB46AD31978B.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Johnson ran the offense pretty much the same way Smith has all year.  In his first 10 games, Smith averaged 235 total yards, 1 TD, .5 INT, and 62.5% completion.  Johnson had 200 total yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, and 64% completion.  As long as the defense keeps playing effectively against the run, we can win with Josh.  Tennessee's offense is basically Derrick Henry at this point.  Stop him (at least stop them from scoring TD's) and we can win that game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One glaring negative from me - The end of the first half. No idea why Tress didn't just punt the ball out of bounds with that little time left. Other than that, defensive line was excellent, and I thought Johnson did well enough to get the W against a good defense. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not turning it over this season has been the key.  Not just not throwing interceptions (except you, Mark Sanchez), but there was the stat yesterday where we are 1st or 2nd in the league in fewest fumbles lost. A Josh Johnson turnover could've been the difference, but he protected the ball.  Got lucky on that one to Crowder, but it worked out.

 

I dont get this FOs fascination with Byron Marshall.  That punt return was egregious.  And he doesn't provide a spark in the running game, that warrants letting Bibbs go.  

 

On the Bibbs topic, Chris Thompson is a shell of what we saw last year.  We might have seen the best of him.  He's too oft injured and hopefully it isnt catching up to him.  

 

Vernon Davis has suspect hands.  Kinda mitigates his Reed replacement value if he's gonna drop one right in his hands every week.

 

Shout out to Dustin Hopkins.  Doesnt get enough credit for calming our rotating kicker problem we've had since forever.  

 

Another shout out to the long snapper guy. He got put in a tough spot, but he didn't do anything to cost us.  Although, I appreciated Tasker's ST analysis of why long snapper accuracy vs velocity.  Something I never thought about really.

Edited by justice98
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure yet how I feel about this one.  I have never rooted for my team to tank because once losing is accepted then it is a disease almost impossible to get rid of.

 

The front office including Coaching staff needs a shakeup in the worst ways but this win slows that down.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morgan Moses saved the game.  I know he's the most penalized player in the NFL, but if he didn't fall on that fumble by Johnson we probably lose.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

Morgan Moses saved the game.  I know he's the most penalized player in the NFL, but if he didn't fall on that fumble by Johnson we probably lose.

 

Good point. Right place, right time. Not impressed with Moses and we need to get out of that albatross of a contract he has. But he definitely got a lot of positive karma for that recovery

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's so good to get a win again.

 

The quality of the offense was obviously poor, but they got it done when it mattered. AP battled at the end there and Josh Johnson made some plays. I don't think that Josh is the future, but he is the now, and that's all that matters. I like Johnson (yeah, I said it) :ols:

 

The defense was outstanding. I realise that the Jags' offense was bad, but any time you limit an NFL team to just 20 yards net passing then you have to give a lot of respect.

 

We can still get a wildcard or even win the division, and although I don't expect either to happen I'm gonna cheer us on to the end. You gotta be in it to win it.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point in his career and with our NFC record, can anyone tell me what it is that keeps AP battling every game? The man is just all heart and is the embodiment of what NFL HOF’ers are made of. 

 

I’m not sure what will happen to AP in the off season but regardless, we’ll be a better team going forward because of what he’s demonstrated as a professional. 

 

Nothing but class. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Pros: 

 

-I wouldn't say Josh Johnson was "good" but he was still the primary force that gave the team a chance to win the game. Luke Bullwinkle at the RG and Karen at LG were revolving doors. Part of that is they are both brand spanking new to the team. Part of that is I'm not sure how good they are. But AP didn't have any room to run (more on this in a second). Johnson made a few great plays with his legs and a couple of fantastic throws. I'm not saying the guy is the future, but with this broken line he certainly gave the team a chance.

 

-Adrian Peterson, despite the lack of stats, came through when it mattered most and closed the games with some ferocious runs. That was so fun to watch. I really want him back next year with Guice. Those two with Thompson (or Marshall) and Bibbs (sigh... I miss you already) are a solid group. 

 

-Michael Floyd... He's been hit and miss. Has dropped some gimmes this year but he comes up with some great catches in traffic, too. He's a guy worth looking at moving forward.

 

-The defensive front proved why they are our best unit by a mile. The pressure they put on Kessler was awesome. 

 

-I mentioned Kerrigan as a guy that should be looked at to move on from (but didn't advocate moving on from him) last week. I amend that statement after watching him this week. Not just because of his play. But because that dude is the heartbeat of the team. 

 

-Dix made a good play.

 

Cons:

 

-Winning may just save Bruce Allen's job. If it were ever in jeopardy to begin with. If he stays, I really hope he hears some of the backlash against him and fixes some things because that will leave a sour taste in my mouth. 

 

-Not much else negative to say. We know the issues with the team. We know the team is beat up. We know they are still a long shot for the playoffs despite the win. But I'm choosing to enjoy a win on a Sunday.

 

Hail to the Redskins

Very VERY excellent write up kdawg..I know a simple like would probably have been enough..but not for me I want to tell you personally how perfect I thought that was.

 

It just dawned on me this morning that I believe Bruce Allen's job is hinging on the Foster deal... If it works out and Foster single-handedly helps us to a number five overall defense next year we might be stuck with Bruce if things work out to where Foster does jail time and the league suspends him for a full season I think it comes back on Bruce and he gets shown the door...gruden will be back next year... Because I am a realistic I don't think we win the next two weeks but I'm staying positive and heavily lean on anything can happen.. that said even IF we lose these last two, gruden will be back next year... But then again we know who the Redskins owner is and speaking of anything can happen lol.

2 minutes ago, Morrissey1972 said:

At this point in his career and with our NFC record, can anyone tell me what it is that keeps AP battling every game? The man is just all heart and is the embodiment of what NFL HOF’ers are made of. 

 

I’m not sure what will happen to AP in the off season but regardless, we’ll be a better team going forward because of what he’s demonstrated as a professional. 

 

Nothing but class. 

Nice.. excellent post man!!...between Alex Smith and Adrian Peterson we wouldn't have the 6 winds prior to yesterday's win if it wasn't for them.. I hope.. really hope he's back next year with Guice..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me as the game was about to start...

 

 

giphy.gif

 

 

 

 

Me at halftime...

 

 

giphy.gif

 

 

 

 

 

Me as the winning FG went through the uprights...

 

 

giphy.gif

  • Like 2
  • Haha 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, justice98 said:

Not turning it over this season has been the key.  Not just not throwing interceptions (except you, Mark Sanchez), but there was the stat yesterday where we are 1st or 2nd in the league in fewest fumbles lost. A Josh Johnson turnover could've been the difference, but he protected the ball.  Got lucky on that one to Crowder, but it worked out.

 

I don't get this FO's fascination with Byron Marshall.  That punt return was egregious.  And he doesn't provide a spark in the running game, that warrants letting Bibbs go.  

 

On the Bibbs topic, Chris Thompson is a shell of what we saw last year.  We might have seen the best of him.  He's too oft injured and hopefully it isnt catching up to him.  

 

Vernon Davis has suspect hands.  Kinda mitigates his Reed replacement value if he's gonna drop one right in his hands every week.

 

Shout out to Dustin Hopkins.  Doesnt get enough credit for calming our rotating kicker problem we've had since forever.  

 

Another shout out to the long snapper guy. He got put in a tough spot, but he didn't do anything to cost us.  Although, I appreciated Tasker's ST analysis of why long snapper accuracy vs velocity.  Something I never thought about really.

Agree with everything you posted though I will say Reed has been know to get the dropsies on occasion as well. I still love VDs toughness and maturity...not bad for a guy that Mike Singletary once lit up as unwinnable.

 

Anyway I still would like to make the playoffs. Our FO woes will never change so if we can't win with them, then let's win regardless of them.

Edited by hawgboy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Morrissey1972 said:

At this point in his career and with our NFC record, can anyone tell me what it is that keeps AP battling every game? The man is just all heart and is the embodiment of what NFL HOF’ers are made of. 

 

I’m not sure what will happen to AP in the off season but regardless, we’ll be a better team going forward because of what he’s demonstrated as a professional. 

 

Nothing but class. 

 

A few reasons.  I think AP is showing the NFL that he is still a viable RB.  He isn't going to be a starting RB for most teams outside of a situation similar to Washington's. but imagine you are a playoff team looking for that extra edge and you are able to bring in a fresh AP during the 2nd half to run downhill on a tired defense?  AP is going to be an asset next season for any team that picks him up, or our team if they so choose to keep him around.

 

Also....it is called being a professional.  We haven't been used to that kind of mindset on a player since Gibbs's first era ended.  Since then it has been mostly a circus where winning games has been the 4th highest priority?

 

On another note......

 

Chalk me up as another one who has no idea what is going on with CT. 

 

Is he still hurt and just trying to play through it?  The guy is a virtual ghost and has been pretty much non-effective. He also seems to barely get 2-3 touches/looks a game.    It's just odd to me that players that were very recently balling out are just inconsequential to the offense all of a sudden. 

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

Johnson ran the offense pretty much the same way Smith has all year.  In his first 10 games, Smith averaged 235 total yards, 1 TD, .5 INT, and 62.5% completion.  Johnson had 200 total yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, and 64% completion.  As long as the defense keeps playing effectively against the run, we can win with Josh.  Tennessee's offense is basically Derrick Henry at this point.  Stop him (at least stop them from scoring TD's) and we can win that game.

 

Josh did something that Alex has never done as a Redskins QB. Brought a team back from a deficit. And actually had a game winning drive. He took some chances.

 

Johnson is not the answer. But he showed fire yesterday. And that was nice to see. I'd look at him as a backup.

 

Unfortunately, this win likely means we're stuck with Allen and Gruden for longer than the end of the season. And because of that, the win is making me sick.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

 

Josh did something that Alex has never done as a Redskins QB. Brought a team back from a deficit. And actually had a game winning drive. He took some chances.

 

Johnson is not the answer. But he showed fire yesterday. And that was nice to see. I'd look at him as a backup.

 

Unfortunately, this win likely means we're stuck with Allen and Gruden for longer than the end of the season. And because of that, the win is making me sick.

 

He played exactly like a guy in his situation would.   He put it all on the line because this is probably his last chance to stick in the NFL as a viable backup.  He threw caution to the wind and fought for every yard, it was a gutsy effort on his part.  Hopefully it plays out for us, but I'd hate to see them look at it as Colt can be the starter and Josh backup until more clarity is known on Alex or they try to ride out his cap hit.

Edited by MariusVT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The game exceeded my expectations for this injured squad, but I'm also torn. I would always prefer the win, but when I think long term this only lowers our draft selection while giving Allen a bit more ammo to stay. Pretty torn. When I expect/want this team to win, they lose. When I expect/want this team to lose, then win. 

 

Anyway, I'll take the win and be happy. Definitely some positives that can transfer over to next season. I like Johnson as a band aid and hope he gets better. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After that debacle last week and how it appeared the team had the Uhaul truck all ready to empty out Redskins Park for the season, I wasn't expecting a win yesterday. I was more tuned in to see who was playing hard & if anyone on the team- both players & coaches- gave a damn about finishing out the season with some pride. It was a pleasant surprise to see guys playing hard & getting a much needed win to boot. If I'm going to rip them for playing & coaching like they have the past three weeks, I've got to give the players & coaching staff credit for the team not throwing in the towel on the season & playing with pride yesterday.

 

Obviously happy to still be in playoff contention, but these next two games are going to be bears for us. Nonetheless, looking forward to a meaningful late season Saturday afternoon game. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Unbias said:

The game exceeded my expectations for this injured squad, but I'm also torn. I would always prefer the win, but when I think long term this only lowers our draft selection while giving Allen a bit more ammo to stay. Pretty torn. When I expect/want this team to win, they lose. When I expect/want this team to lose, then win. 

 

Anyway, I'll take the win and be happy. Definitely some positives that can transfer over to next season. I like Johnson as a band aid and hope he gets better. 

 

I'm torn, because it's a QB league, and the QB situation going into the offseason and 2019 will be a total disaster.  If they're gonna win any games, they'd better make the playoffs.  Otherwise, gimme the draft position.  Short term pain for long term gain.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Johnson won the game for us.  Not necessarily with his play, but, his passion.  I think he got guys fired up.  You could see it when the winning FG was made.  I would not mind him coming back as a backup next year.  We need more players with fire and passion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curious if the rebound defensively vs the Jags was fueled by the Giants embarrassment?  The Giants game was the most obvious and overt give up I have ever witnessed. Maybe it was a F-you statement game to the home crowd?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Morrissey1972 said:

At this point in his career and with our NFC record, can anyone tell me what it is that keeps AP battling every game? The man is just all heart and is the embodiment of what NFL HOF’ers are made of. 

 

I’m not sure what will happen to AP in the off season but regardless, we’ll be a better team going forward because of what he’s demonstrated as a professional. 

 

Nothing but class. 

 

He's got alot of mouths to feed:

 

http://sandrarose.com/2015/09/mother-of-adrian-petersons-9th-child-wants-1-9m-in-child-support/

 

This is from 2015.   Not sure if he's sired any more since then.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.