Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Favorite tools?

Spaceman Spiff

No, I'm not talking about any specific Tailgate posters...

Tools, things you use to get stuff done and make things a little easier.  It can be anything from a piece of software to your favorite torque wrench.  

This week I've been on a trial for www.calendly.com and I'm not sure how I've made it this far without it.  If I need to speak with anyone I send them a link, they pick a time on my calendar.  No more chasing people around leaving messages.   

And www.yesware.com.  I'm not sure why it's so gratifying to see people open up emails but it is.  Certainly not a must have tool but I don't pay for it which is nice.  It also serves as a good reminder tool to see an alert pop up and know someones looking at what you sent...and then remind yourself to follow up with them.  

I've been doing some remodeling in our home kitchen, closing off doorways and moving the layout. I bought a table saw and braid nail gun awhile ago to use building some shelves, currently those are my two favorite items. Being able to buy bulk lumber and ripping it down is much more efficient and I can't imagine putting paneling or trim up without the nail gun. Well worth the dollars spent.  

1 minute ago, GoSkinsGo said:

I've been doing some remodeling in our home kitchen, closing off doorways and moving the layout. I bought a table saw and braid nail gun awhile ago to use building some shelves, currently those are my two favorite items. Being able to buy bulk lumber and ripping it down is much more efficient and I can't imagine putting paneling or trim up without the nail gun. Well worth the dollars spent.  

Oh we're gonna have you routing and planing soon.....<rubbing hands gleefully>

2 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Oh we're gonna have you routing and planing soon.....<rubbing hands gleefully>

Funny you said that, router is my next purchase. I was going to get the dremel add on but I think I'm going to just bite the bullet and get a good plunge router.

My dad is getting older and he recently gave me two truck load of tools that I still haven't gotten a chance to look through and organize. I'm pretty excited I now have a band saw and bench top grinder. So many possibilities.  

Hmmm. Okay. Let's see here. 

Photography,(aside from obvious).  DSLR Controller app. Let's me see what the camera sees and a whole lot more through the phone. 

Digital Dark Room: NIK

Building/Carpentry.  Pocket hole jig. (Kreg). 

Im a maintenance supervisor, so i have quite a selection of hand and power tools yet the most productive and efficient tool ive ever invested in is a basin buddy. My goodness has it made changing faucets a breeze. Best pair of pliers ive ever owned are knipex cobras. Nail guns and compressors are always great and handy. Oh and impact drills. Which a magnetic sleeve is a necessity

3 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Pilot G2 Pro pen.  It’s the smoothest writing pen I’ve ever owned.  Feels nice in the hand.  I do a lot of writing at work and I’m naked without this pen.

or step up to the limited edition...

That pilot g2 is amazing and my favorite pen as well. 

Recently picked up a Park Tool Shop Inflator for my bicycles (to lazy for the floor pumps, and fat tired bikes can be work), plus I seem to be the neighborhood fix it guy. I probably should have the air compressor as my favorite, because I thought I would never need one (so many uses), but now I don't understand how I have gone so long with out it.

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Pilot G2 Pro pen.  It’s the smoothest writing pen I’ve ever owned.  Feels nice in the hand.  I do a lot of writing at work and I’m naked without this pen.

or step up to the limited edition...

I will have to give the Pilot G2 a try. I have been partial to the Tul Retractable Gel pens for a while, smooth and great balance.

My 4 inch flex head 3/8 drive ratchet 

Not much for breaking bolts loose 

But for starting threads and locking up bolts in tight spaces with limited clearance you just can't beat it

Perfect for starting spark plugs on the rear head with close clearance from the firewall for an example 

The Pilot G2 (non pro, though) takes me back to High School.  We used to modify them to turn them into discreet squirt-guns.

Software-wise, I've become dependent on vim as a text-editor.  Everybody I work with uses it because they have to.  I use it because it's amazing for a programmer if you put in the effort to learn how to use it effectively and find plugins to make it even more powerful.

I'd say if you get a compressor find the right one. I have a couple I need to unload since I got this one...

dewalt_DWFP55130_lead.jpg

Quiet, really fast recovery, very portable and user-friendly. I plug it in and run the pressure up, unplug it and take it across the street to fill a tire with no problem.  Fairly compact as well, a lot of them are overly tall/strangely proportioned and don't store particularly well.

Archived