Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

gruden runs on 1st down 90% of the time

matt collins

Just a LITTLE predictable. He rarely has a full back to help AP and he almost never throws to him. I know play calling creativity was at a minimum against the Giants but jeez... Also- can't receiving coaches teach Doctson not to catch the ball with his body??? Season-long problem there. 

It's not 90%.  I pulled the numbers a while ago.  I think on 1st and 10, it's like 78%, and of the runs, 60% are 2 yards or less.

I'd have to re-pull the data and re-do the analysis.

It's been a trend since 2014.

Also, it's the same 2 plays.  It's the most maddening and predictable bull-*** you can imagine. 

23 minutes ago, matt collins said:

Just a LITTLE predictable. He rarely has a full back to help AP and he almost never throws to him. I know play calling creativity was at a minimum against the Giants but jeez... Also- can't receiving coaches teach Doctson not to catch the ball with his body??? Season-long problem there. 

Callahan has a lot of input in the weekly game plans for the running game, running out of shotgun and not using a FB ....

Of course the irony here is that earlier on in his tenure, he was criticised for not running the football enough.

The moral of the story: be careful what you wish for. In fact, never wish for anything, ever. It will only bring previously unknown disappointments. Ya wanna know what's worse than something going wrong? Everything going wrong!

I don't mind running it on 1st but we could have better creativity. Too often we do that stupid 3 TE jumbo formation which never gets more than a yard or we run AP out of shotgun which loses yards half the time.

The problem is when we do decide to pass on 1st down, we often don't get anything, setting up 2nd and 10. We can never call easy crossing routes that pick up a cheap 6-7 yards like most teams can do.

Gruden is just too predictable.

Opponents have made comments post-game, saying they recognized formations and KNEW what was coming so it was easy to stop.

See, Gruden has this play book with all of these various plays, but he always starts out with his scripted game plan, which consists of the very same plays over and over. It becomes a pattern, and a habit for him, and he's too damn stupid to realize everyone else knows whats coming except him.

• Jumbo locked this topic

Archived