Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who On The Redskins Team/Organization Worth Keeping? {Multi-Level Thread }

skins island connection

It has been a painful 2018 season to watch, no doubt.

From being 6-3 at one point to possibly losing the remaining games, the entire organization has taken a nose-dive, and has challenged the allegiance of some Redskins fans.

From FO decision-making, to seemingly inept coaching staff, to players performing far under their abilities and paychecks.

But, in the ever-turbulent season of constant finger-pointing at certain coaches, FO personnel and players, there are some bright spots, and I wanted to delve into this to get opinions on who would be worthy of keeping on this team going into the future.

A couple that I thought of were:

1. Jonathan Allen - a young, strong guy who has a lot of football in him.

2. Ryan Anderson - he looks to be a good player with a good motor, but maybe has been used the wrong way at times.

3. Adrian Peterson - I may catch some static on this, but IMO he's a rare breed of ball carrier, and he still has a good motor on him, but he's been a victim of a porous o-line and lackluster play calling.

4. Derrius Guice - only because of the unknown, he was a draft pick many were waiting to see if he was the future in the RB position.

Who do you think has what it takes to remain on this team? I gave a few examples but I'm sure there are more, and maybe this discussion can take some of the sting out of this season.

I would keep DJ, Dunny,  and the D line.   The line is decent.  Needs a piece but overall can be disruptive.   The rest of the secondary can all go.  I said in the beginning of the year would hurt us, turned out to be true.  

On offense I would keep AP another year - he's earned it.  Guise of course;  CT I would keep although he is injury prone.  Doctson definitely.   I would also keep Sims, and Harris.   I think they are all IR.    I like Marshall.  Saw flashes there but not enough playing time.

Tress Way keep.   he has been the most consistent all year long.  he will have many opportunities the next couple of years IMO.

We are probably in blow up mode again.  We are screwed at QB.  I know Alex Smith is not the answer and will not be back to start the season anyway.  I just hope he gets better and can walk without any issues.

Colt is injury prone and cannot be relied upon. 

This is a ****ty QB class coming up.    

7 minutes ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

There is nobody in the org who is worth keeping. 

Includes every player 

aw, c'mon, that's frustration talking [ typing ].

I'm unsure about Callahan. He's supposed to be a good o-line coach, with all the injuries I can't pin him as being the fault.

Tomsula is worth keeping; the d-line has been fairly stable  and he has some good players to work with.

Ben Kotwika - the ST group hasn't been bad, there haven't been many large gains in punt returns against, but haven't had much on our side.

Matt Kavanaugh - this is a difficult one. He's really not a true OC in  a sense because Gruden is calling plays, so is it his fault ?

I think everyone else [ regarding assistants ] need to go. Grimm, Phillips, Hilliard, and everyone on S&C and nutritionist should be gone.

Front Office: Get rid of Allen and Williams. If you want to keep Schaeffer and Kyle Smith, fine, but personally I'd prefer a total nuking and complete overhaul of the FO.

Coaching: Fire everyone. If the new HC wants to keep Callahan and Tomsula to coach the line then fine, otherwise everyone else can walk.

Personnel: I'd get rid of everyone that's not on a rookie contract with the exceptions of: Thompson, Dunbar, and Swearinger because their contracts are fairly cheap and they still have value. Keep Hopkins and Way.

Everyone else can walk.

Players:

Jonathan Allen

Kapri Bibbs

Josh Doctson

Dustin Hopkins

Matt Ioannidis

Danny Johnson

Fabian Moreau

Daron Payne

Adrian Peterson

Chase Roullier

Tim Settle

Greg Stroman

Nick Sundberg

Jeremy Sprinkle

D.J. Swearinger Sr.

Tress Way

Quinton Dunbar

Derrius Guice

Cassanova McKinzy

Trey Quinn

Brandon Scherff

Cam Sims

Alex Smith (might need him to teach a young QB. You don't want Mark Sanchez or Colt McCoy doing it).

Casey Dunn

Simmie Cobbs Jr.

JP Hotlz

Coaches:

Ben Kotwica. Our best unit this year. Despise that 12 men on the field today.

Torian Gray

Kevin O'Connell

Wes Phillips

Jim Tomsula

Front Office:

Brian LaFemina

Doug Williams

Eric Schaffer

Jane Rodgers

Jake Bye

Kyle Smith

And I'm giving a pass to those Scouts. We have virtually no clue to evaluate them as we don't know if they're listened to or not...

Btw, I'm not giving a pass to the owner group, if you are wondering.

We have a lot more talent than our play shows. Part of that is coaching. Part of that is heart. Part of it is injury.  I really believe that.

I think the defense was a top 5 defense at the start of the year because of sheer talent. Once the scheme got exposed, there was not ability to change it up. Vanilla only works for so long.  Tweak the middle linebackers to add some speed and coverage ability. Add a corner and we're probably good to go.

On offense? I think we also suffer from coaching, but that the talent is much thinner. Doctson is probably a C receiver. Crowder and Reed were no shows this year. Thompson was too, really. Peterson is great, but I don't know that I'd bring him back. I like Bibbs. He is a heart player who gives everything he has. He's not a flashy enough car for Gruden. He's the kind of guy Gibbs would make a core Redskin and win with. 

1 hour ago, SkinssRvA said:

Everyone is expendable.  We have to spend some time really sucking (not being mediocre) and collecting picks to be a relevant team ever again.  

This team has been sucking for the better part of the last 25 years. MAYBE a season or three of mediocre mixed in there. 

Calling this team mediocre over the last two decades is a disservice to the word.

Jonathan Allen, Daron Payne, Matt Ionnidis and to a lesser extent Tim Settle. Literally everyone else is fair game. The 4 guys above are solid building prieces.

Guys like Reed, Thomson, Crowder, Preston etc are good but not good enough to help you win, aging and injury prone. Definitely try to trade if you can.

The rest are scrubs/below JAGs.

This is the reality of it.   

Players on rookie contracts and Tress, that's it. Everyone else is 100% expendable and it's very sad the way this turned out.

I do think we can turn the defense around if we can get some new talent at LB and CB but the entire offense is a wreck, our 2 best players on O are Trent and Scherff, by the end of the season Scherff will have missed 10 games in the last 2 seasons and Trent has been off all year and I think it's his body starting to break down.

The only positive news is we still have a chance at a top 10 draft pick.  You can't fix this team with free agents, we need a couple of drafts and then maybe a push in free agency in 2020.

I didn't realize how weak minded our players are, even with past Redskins teams we never really quit when things were going poorly, this team has quit.

Nothings going to change unless Snyder hires a GM. And that he tells the NEW GM that he will stay out of all coaching and player personnel, and that he (Dan) will be basically just signing checks and help out with HarvestFest. And that Snyder MUST stick to it. Otherwise, nothing is going to change for the better. It will be the same old shifting from here to there and back again with the same or worse (if at anytime in the future it could get worse?) outcomes. Always between 6-9 wins, positive outlooks during the off seasons, but nothing to see at improvement as we go along. 

We should have dealt Trent Williams prior to the draft, no one here agreed, but it should be extraordinarily obvious now that we not only should have made that move, but needed to. None of this is complicated, there are guys on this board who know as much, if not more, than guys in several NFL FO’s, you just need to know the right people to get those opportunities. That’s one of the positives about the board, a much needed cathartic outlet 

We we need to stock up picks for the 2020 draft & get Lawrence or JT Daniels on a rookie contract. 

The drafts should be easy, we could have grabbed the guard who has been best in the nfl over the last 2 weeks, James Daniels, & gone up a bit to grab an all pro safety, Reid, but instead we have no guard & gave a 4th for HaHa, which is just embarrassing. Trading Trent & trading out of round 1 would have set us up to run the 2019 draft, & we still could/should have gotten ourselves two of our best starters right now, Reid & Daniels; it was extraordinarily obvious that they’d be very good before the draft —— I like our draft, but we have gone half a decade, or more, without a decent guard or fs. 

Everyone should be available for trade. We need to operate with a clear purpose, not by trying to squeak by & hang around in 16 games a season. We haven’t won 11 games in...? Snyder needs to get new blood in the FO ASAP. 

If if we had any vision at all we’d have McVay & Deshaun Watson today, but we have Gruden & Sanchez. It was our choice, the people making decisions are proven failures. 

Httr 

13 minutes ago, TheYappingDog said:

Trent is physically done. He'll be breaking down more frequently. Let him go and get a ring with a contender. 

🤝

From a team perspective you have to look at Trent, Kerrigan, Norman, Reed, Brown, maybe even Davis....you have 50mil+ in cap space there, and clearing those off the books will create the best part of 40mil in space. Helps to deal with the impact of the Smith deal.

Thereafter the rest is small change on the playing front.

What is really frustrating and slaps you in the face is that we’re never truly good and every year we have a ton of holes. Literally at the end of every year we are constantly listing lineman, receiver, running back, QB, linebackers, corners as hole and rinse and repeat. This front office can fill a need for the life of them.

25 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Players:

Jonathan Allen

Kapri Bibbs

Josh Doctson

Dustin Hopkins

Matt Ioannidis

Danny Johnson

Fabian Moreau

Daron Payne

Adrian Peterson

Chase Roullier

Tim Settle

Greg Stroman

Nick Sundberg

Jeremy Sprinkle

D.J. Swearinger Sr.

Tress Way

Quinton Dunbar

Derrius Guice

Cassanova McKinzy

Trey Quinn

Brandon Scherff

Cam Sims

Alex Smith (might need him to teach a young QB. You don't want Mark Sanchez or Colt McCoy doing it).

Casey Dunn

Simmie Cobbs Jr.

JP Hotlz

Coaches:

Ben Kotwica. Our best unit this year. Despise that 12 men on the field today.

Torian Gray

Kevin O'Connell

Wes Phillips

Jim Tomsula

Front Office:

Brian LaFemina

Doug Williams

Eric Schaffer

Jane Rodgers

Jake Bye

Kyle Smith

And I'm giving a pass to those Scouts. We have virtually no clue to evaluate them as we don't know if they're listened to or not...

Btw, I'm not giving a pass to the owner group, if you are wondering.

Geez, who are you, Thanos snapping his finger? lol.

The only disagreements I would have would be the ones in bold. Dunbar and Moreau have been out of place a lot, and burned a lot.  I'm not sure I'd want a QB who knows only to throw short screens and no idea when to scramble to be a guy teaching a young QB the ropes.  That's what a QB coach does; or should be doing.

The scouts haven't turned up much to hold their own, it seems they look for the most fit people, not the ones with the best attributes that would help a team.

2 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Geez, who are you, Thanos snapping his finger? lol.

The only disagreements I would have would be the ones in bold. Dunbar and Moreau have been out of place a lot, and burned a lot.  I'm not sure I'd want a QB who knows only to throw short screens and no idea when to scramble to be a guy teaching a young QB the ropes.  That's what a QB coach does; or should be doing.

The scouts haven't turned up much to hold their own, it seems they look for the most fit people, not the ones with the best attributes that would help a team.

No way... Thanos cut population in two. I removed more than half of it 😁

Dunbar has been OK to me when healthy. He shouldn't have played against Cowboys. Period. Moreau is doing OK. He's a young guy with upside worth keeping another season. Just like Fuller was his rookie season. Everybody wanted to cut his ass sorry, then the guy exploded year 2.

Regarding Alex Smith, I'd rather have a QB that is cautious with the ball teaching a young one than a gunslinger that will teach him how to throw pick sixes. And anyway, his sole contract makes him worth keeping...

Wes Phillips is doing a good work overall, and one of our only bright spot in the coaching staff... Guy doesn't have much to work with but TE are still our best offensive position.

Archived