Sign in to follow this  
Cooked Crack

Election 2019 - D's take VA. Bevin takes L.

Recommended Posts

It’s no longer two Americas, the GOP is living in an entirely different ****ing universe.

 

 

  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ronna Mcdonald is a 🤡.

 

Yes, I changed her last name. It fits. It's also what I read every time I see her name. 😁

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woke up this morning and my first thought was that I can't wait to get some of that sweet, sweet Democratic governance.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, visionary said:

It’s no longer two Americas, the GOP is living in an entirely different ****ing universe.

 

 

 

If 45 told them to, they would declare him Jesus without hesitation 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Kentucky story is interesting, but that feels like one of those "all politics is local" things that still happens even in 2019.


The story of the night is that the blue wave in the suburbs is still rolling. If that trend continues, everything is up for grabs in 2020. Republicans are going to blame government workers in Northern Virginia for all their statewide problems, but the real issues were outside Richmond. And this was reflected in Pennsylvania as well.

 

If you lose the cities 90-10 and the suburbs 55-45, there simply aren't enough rural votes to save you outside of a handful of states.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now looking forward to the wave of lame duck Republicans changing laws on their way out the door.  

 

I'm starting to think a lot of places (maybe even the federal level) needs a constitutional amendment:  

 

Any measure passed by a legislature/governor, during the period between an election, and the newly elected persons taking office, can be reversed by a simple majority vote of said newly-elected body (within 30 days of taking office).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Woke up this morning and my first thought was that I can't wait to get some of that sweet, sweet Democratic governance.  

Same here. 
 

except I’m not all super ecstatic about it cause I generally despise the democrats solutions

 

i hope they give us comprehensive and useful gun control. I really do. And not some bull**** to pat themselves on the back but really furthers they idea their knowledge of guns comes from action movies and tv. 
 

we’ll see

 

And legalize weed damnit. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tshile said:

And legalize weed damnit. 

 

Been thinking that one thing that's needed is a federal law, stating that the Feds are in change of interstate weed, but that the states can decide whether to legalize it within their state.  (And maybe stating that weed can be transported from one weed-legal state to another, even if it passes through a weed-illegal state.)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Larry said:

 

Been thinking that one thing that's needed is a federal law, stating that the Feds are in change of interstate weed, but that the states can decide whether to legalize it within their state.  (And maybe stating that weed can be transported from one weed-legal state to another, even if it passes through a weed-illegal state.)  

 

I do foresee decriminalization, at least, being discussed shortly after the next session starts, as well as legalization of medical use.  

 

Edited by PleaseBlitz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, tshile said:

Same here. 
 

except I’m not all super ecstatic about it cause I generally despise the democrats solutions

 

i hope they give us comprehensive and useful gun control. I really do. And not some bull**** to pat themselves on the back but really furthers they idea their knowledge of guns comes from action movies and tv. 
 

we’ll see

 

And legalize weed damnit. 

 

 

 

Hopefully Dem leadership has their plan of attack fully developed by the first legislative session.

 

Decriminalize or legalize weed.

 

Universal background checks at a very minimum. Maybe take steps toward banning high capacity magazines. 

 

Minimum wage increase. 

 

(my request for 2021)- Project BlueMap, gerrymander the **** out of the map post-Census. SCOTUS said it was fine so Dems *have* to play by the same rules as GOP in the states they actually control. GOP shouldn't have a prayer of controlling VA for the next decade. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not legalizing weed is stupid. in addition to the regular arguments, the reality is that you can go into DC and get it and bring it back.

 

ultimately, being an adult means looking at a situation and recognizing the reality. the reality is that leaving it criminalized is stupid. even if you firmly believe people using weed is bad, the way we are currently tackling it not working and it's not even a debate. it's clear cut. 

 

so something needs to change. hopefully the democrats can be creative and use their new found power for good.

 

i'm skeptical but hopeful.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

(my request for 2021)- Project BlueMap, gerrymander the **** out of the map post-Census. SCOTUS said it was fine so Dems *have* to play by the same rules as GOP in the states they actually control. GOP shouldn't have a prayer of controlling VA for the next decade. 

 

Not a big fan of two Wrongs making a Right.  

 

Although yeah, it appeals to a part of me.  

 

Maybe attach a constitutional amendment that, beginning in 2031, districts will be drawn by a non-partisan commission.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Larry said:

 

Not a big fan of two Wrongs making a Right.  

 

Although yeah, it appeals to a part of me.  

 

Maybe attach a constitutional amendment that, beginning in 2031, districts will be drawn by a non-partisan commission.  

 

It's not a wrong at this point. It's the law. And it has MASSIVE impacts on control of Congress at the Federal level. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tshile said:

ultimately, being an adult means looking at a situation and recognizing the reality. the reality is that leaving it criminalized is stupid. even if you firmly believe people using weed is bad, the way we are currently tackling it not working and it's not even a debate. it's clear cut. 

 

Unless your measure of "working" is the creation of a legion of second class citizens who will never be full members of society.  By that standard, the War on Drugs has been a rousing success.  

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Larry said:

Not a big fan of two Wrongs making a Right.

 

SCOTUS said it's not a Wrong.  At that point, you are just playing by the rules of the game as they currently exist.  

 

Very similar to taking Super PAC money as a candidate.  In a perfect world, the rules would be different, but it's not a perfect world, so you use the rules to their full advantage because your opponent sure a hell is going to.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, skinsfan_1215 said:

 

It's not a wrong at this point. It's the law. And it has MASSIVE impacts on control of Congress at the Federal level. 

 

It's still a Wrong.  

 

It's just a Wrong which the SC has chosen to ratify, because of which Party is benefiting from the Wrong.  

 

The SC approving something may make it legal (for a while).  It doesn't make it Right.  

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

SCOTUS said it's not a Wrong.  At that point, you are just playing by the rules of the game as they currently exist.

 

A flaw the dems have always had... 

 

Yes, morally, "but he does it too" isn't really a justification.

 

But in reality, you play by the rules of the game or you lose. And the cost of losing is worse than the cost setting your morals on gerrymandering aside.

 

Also, lol @ corey stewart that guy can go kick rocks.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Larry said:

 

It's still a Wrong.  

 

It's just a Wrong which the SC has chosen to ratify, because of which Party is benefiting from the Wrong.  

 

The SC approving something may make it legal (for a while).  It doesn't make it Right.  

 

 

Then you play by the current rules while trying to fix the wrong.  It will literally take a constitutional amendment to fix it, which means it needs to be bipartisan.  The only way to get Republicans on board is to beat them over the head with the consequences. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rather they redistrict the maps in good faith, rather than go all crazy with them. If the playing field is even, the dems will win if they make good decisions, stay sane, and carry out what their voters actually want in a smart way.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a long-form story idea for a budding political reporter out there. I've lived in three major metro areas in my adult life. And I've always been politically active.

 

What I've noticed in the last 20 years is the shifting of "the battleground counties." I want to know what this means in real numbers/representation. For instance, Loudoun County used to be "the heart of the GOP in northern Virginia."  That seems totally gone now and Fairfax now appears to vote like the District itself.  I think PWC is mostly a Dem wipe-out as well, which was not the case even 20 years ago.

 

I currently live in Metro Houston. Harris County is the home of Houston, but it's a massive suburban area as well. It's entirely Dem at this point. The battleground has shifted into Fort Bend county, which is still marginally Republican but that may no longer be the case in 2020,

 

if you really want to make this a Pulitzer piece, tie it into the collapse in church attendance.


You're welcome.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

(my request for 2021)- Project BlueMap, gerrymander the **** out of the map post-Census. SCOTUS said it was fine so Dems *have* to play by the same rules as GOP in the states they actually control. GOP shouldn't have a prayer of controlling VA for the next decade. 

 

2jkypf.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

 

Then you play by the current rules while trying to fix the wrong.  It will literally take a constitutional amendment to fix it, which means it needs to be bipartisan.  The only way to get Republicans on board is to beat them over the head with the consequences. 

 

Exactly this. Dems can tie their hands behind their back and light themselves on fire protesting partisan gerrymandering, but GOP is going to point and laugh and win elections while they do it. 

 

Or Dems can be as aggressive as they can to beat the GOP at their own game, and who knows maybe turn the elimination of partisan gerrymandering into a bipartisan position. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.