Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stand Up to Harvard

thegreaterbuzzette

1.  Harvard isn't really telling you why they did this.

2.  Realistically, people that have different agendas probably helped push this through so it isn't like there is a "goal".

3.  They are a private institution.  I'll give them a lot of flexibility in doing what they want before I get upset.  Having a penalty for belonging to a sorority or fraternity isn't going to do it.

12 hours ago, No Excuses said:

Good policy that all schools should adopt. Sororities and frats should be punted out of existence.

Yeah I never got the frat/sorority hype. I mean, is it that hard for people to make friends? I went to JMU and had no problems meeting people.

This is interesting though because unlike most schools, being in  fraternity(and I guess sorority too though not sure)actually really does mean something for post college career opportunities with how extensive the alumni network is. If they're banned, it could hurt Harvard's status as an elite school as the kids won't have access to that same alumni network that their predecessors had.

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I never got the frat/sorority hype. I mean, is it that hard for people to make friends? I went to JMU and had no problems meeting people.

This is interesting though because unlike most schools, being in  fraternity(and I guess sorority too though not sure)actually really does mean something for post college career opportunities with how extensive the alumni network is. If they're banned, it could hurt Harvard's status as an elite school as the kids won't have access to that same alumni network that their predecessors had.

Why do people join the Masons or rotary club or charities? It's not just about making friends and parties. If you didn't, good for you. The people in my fraternity were actually very well adjusted people that wouldn't have had trouble making friends then and now. Has nothing to do with inability to make friends. 

1 hour ago, Elessar78 said:

Why do people join the Masons or rotary club or charities? It's not just about making friends and parties. If you didn't, good for you. The people in my fraternity were actually very well adjusted people that wouldn't have had trouble making friends then and now. Has nothing to do with inability to make friends. 

Good post...I never got the animosity toward fraternities. If it wasn't your thing, that's fine. But why would you care so much if other people enjoyed it. I had a close group of friends I graduated high school with, many of which I knew back in Kindergarten (just illustrating that I was capable of making friends in the outside world). When I got to college, I joined a fraternity and a group of those guys are still some of my best friends. 

53 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Don’t go to Harvard. Don’t shop at hobby lobby. Support the values you value, the government doesn’t have to legislate/adjudicate everything.

Apparently the courts do. :pint:

They obviously need stricter rules to protect the pledges and the women who go to the parties.  Some Greek orgs just don't respect anyone except their actual members. 

I get the networking aspects of the orgs though. Going to college is about education and connections by meeting people from all walks of life.

2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Don’t go to Harvard. Don’t shop at hobby lobby. Support the values you value, the government doesn’t have to legislate/adjudicate everything.

People like having their cake and eating it to.  The problem with "boycotting" Harvard is that the product is so good, you are cutting off your nose to spite your face.  Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad.  I am all out of cliches. 

Point is, if you get into Harvard (or Yale), you'd be ****ing crazy not to go, even if it means not living all of your values while you are there.  

3 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

People like having their cake and eating it to.  The problem with "boycotting" Harvard is that the product is so good, you are cutting off your nose to spite your face.  Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad.  I am all out of cliches. 

Point is, if you get into Harvard (or Yale), you'd be ****ing crazy not to go, even if it means not living all of your values while you are there.  

Depends on how much you care about the issue.  

So if a student plays in an all male rec league, they are going to get sanctioned?  There's a difference between addressing the ills of Greek culture on campus and punishing all association with single gender clubs.  One would think the admins at Harvard would be smart enough to know that.

52 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Whatever issue it is, you can do a lot more to advance it with a Harvard education and Harvard connections than without them. 

That is certainly what some of those Harvard groups fighting it hope.

17 hours ago, bearrock said:

So if a student plays in an all male rec league, they are going to get sanctioned?  There's a difference between addressing the ills of Greek culture on campus and punishing all association with single gender clubs.  One would think the admins at Harvard would be smart enough to know that.

That seems unlikely.  I don't know the details of the rules, but I suspect they didn't include rec leagues.

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Cambridge, Yale, Columbia, Dartmouth, Brown, Princeton...

My original post said Yale, and those 2 schools are significantly more prestigous than the rest. 

Want proof?  Tell me the last Supreme Court justice that went to a school besides Harvard or Yale. 

4 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Whatever issue it is, you can do a lot more to advance it with a Harvard education and Harvard connections than without them. 

You make a good, reasoned point but the problem I have with your post is that there is never one perfect way to address a situation. To you, it might be ideal to grab that education and spend the next several years fighting for something. Others may want to do whatever they can now. 

There's more than one way to skin a cat (cliche!). 

Archived