Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Terminate Manusky

SavetheSkins

11 hours ago, Redskinscub said:

and seems to do what he has to, to avoid hitting someone 

That was exactly the knock on him, and exactly how Packers fans described him.

Back to the coaching firing thread, I noticed the Vikings board has just as many threads to fire one of their coaches, as we do, on the first page.

9 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

That was exactly the knock on him, and exactly how Packers fans described him.

Back to the coaching firing thread, I noticed the Vikings board has just as many threads to fire one of their coaches, as we do, on the first page.

And the  Vikings took action today..  What did the Redskins do?  :kickcan:

• 5 weeks later...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/09/gregg-williams-wont-be-back-in-cleveland/

https://redskinswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/09/bringing-gregg-williams-back-could-be-exactly-what-washingtons-defense-needs/

It would be a huge win for this team to bring back Gregg Williams. I think there is probably bad blood and it won't happen, but I'd love for Snyder to open his checkbook. 

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/09/gregg-williams-wont-be-back-in-cleveland/

https://redskinswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/09/bringing-gregg-williams-back-could-be-exactly-what-washingtons-defense-needs/

It would be a huge win for this team to bring back Gregg Williams. I think there is probably bad blood and it won't happen, but I'd love for Snyder to open his checkbook. 

This has been discussed in many other threads. 

No way Gregg will come here. He already lived through the dumpster fire of Snyder management and probably sees the desperation on the faces of the current staff who are itching to get the hell out of Dodge and wants no part of it. 

I don't thing Gregg would come, either. And though I like him, I'd prefer that he didn't. He deserves better than working under the dark clouds at Ashburn. He'll have plenty of better options, whether for this year or next.

And as far as Manusky goes, it's clear he should be replaced, but just like with Barry, they'll wait so long to make moves that (a) all the really good candidates will be off the board, and/or (b) only stinkers will be left, like somebody already on staff, like Manusky.

The Manusky situation is interesting.

They want to replace him, but it's not an attractive opportunity.

I thought about it, and the Redskins couldn't convince me to leave my job to work as their DC and I love the team. It's going to be very tough to attract an elite DC.

On 12/5/2018 at 4:24 PM, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

If anybody id promote tomsula. That is one body (the d lineman) that has shown constant progress and no regression. Even dbs regressed. Norman, dunbar...the complete lack of db tackling. I cant believe that danny Johnson (i believe)had the tackle wrapped up short of the first on 3rd down but went for the strip to allow the first down on the eagles first drive. While allen, payne, matty i, settle showing something now...that they are getting bettee and better.

I agree about Tomsula and the D-line but I saw NO regression in Dunbar.  I thought we was playing very well and I love his mentality.  

So here’s something that’s been bugging me:

For the most part, people point to our ILB play as pretty poor this year.  I’d argue our corner play was lackluster.  Most have bemoaned the play of Dix.  Smith had a down year and a lot of people think he isn’t anything special and we should let him walk (though our financial situation plays heavily into that).  

My point is... is all of that taken into consideration when judging Manusky?  Because it almost seems like the two (coaching and personnel) are being treated as separate entities.  

I’m not defending Manusky here persay, I’m just wondering - what was the expectation?  

Tied into this, looking at the numbers (and I know ‘stats’ aren’t the be all/end all), with the exception of Smith (and maybe Norman), our good players performed quite well - Swearinger, Kerrigan, Ioannidas, Allen, Payne.  Our not so good players got picked on - Foster, Johnson, Stroman, Haha (missing tackles and such), and Brown.  Moreau showed his inexperience as did, to a lesser extent, Nicholson.  Anderson and McPhee were ok, and Settle looked pretty good.  

Foster and Brown are particularly interesting.  Last offseason, the consensus was that we had a solid duo.  Fast forward, and they’re getting lambasted.  Was this change more a result of coaching issues (like not using personnel to their strength)?  Was it because our now stout dline couldn’t be blamed for the run game failures?  Is it that our dline caused teams to attack us in different ways than before (off tackle runs and throws to the flat)?  What about losing Breeland and Fuller?  Did that impact our ILBs?  Or impact Manusky’s play calling?

My overall point - we were 15th in points and 17th In yards... is the expectation that a better DC (even if we don’t improve the personnel) significantly improves those numbers?  Is the expectation that better ILBs, and some additions to the secondary (even if Manusky stays) significantly improves those rankings?  Is it both?  

Bottom line, our rankings were pretty decent, our good unit (dline) and good players performed well, so I’m not convinced Manusky is a big part of the problem.  I’m also not convinced he isn’t a big part of the problem.  It’s pretty apparent he isn’t the problem though.  

9 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

I didn't pay attention to the Browns defense this year, but did they run a 3-4? Though Williams was a 4-3 guy which would mean we would have to switch. I'm not opposed to that but would mean some big changes, specifically 2 OLB.

Our base defense is actually a nickel, which is 4-2-5. The league is going more and more in that direction. San Diego just played 7 defensive backs against Lamar Jackson. 

We would have to change almost nothing in terms in terms of personnel. 

I kinda figured Manusky would stay and it makes sense if Jay is staying. What guy with a star ascending is going to attach himself to a lame duck HC on a team with no starting QB? They're better off staying put. It's far easier to wreck a rep than to make one.

At any rate, this staff needs to prove itself or get out. Manusky's D looked really good early on, but couldn't overcome the loss of Dunbar (how strange is that sentence!) and the exposure of Foster in coverage. Can Manusky figure it out? Can Gruden? Can Bruce? My guess is no. In any case, I don't want a band aid or an excuse. If they're good enough to be retained, they need to be good enough to win and win big immediately. The Eagles, Rams, and others have proven if you have the right people... it doesn't take 10 years to turn around a team.

The key question for me is are we going to use our players differently? Even more, i wonder if we're going to draft any players like Lavar. Not saying anything about him as a player, but the rumor was that he would freestyle when he thought he needed to. 

Not sure if this is the best option either but if we're in one coverage and getting abused, somebody needs to know to change things. 

And if DJ wasn't that guy who will be? I guess the alternative is just to get better players like more depth at corner, guys that are better at man, etc. 

On 12/5/2018 at 12:44 PM, SavetheSkins said:

Thoughts from those that know NFL defensive schemes/adjustments better than I?

A few basic observations: 

1) Too much run blitzing. Can cause disruption by D-Line shifts  and stunts vs. blitzing. 

2) Poor in game adjustments and substitutions. 

3) Unwillingness to bench starters not performing. Prime example Ha Ha Dix. Poor angles and afraid to hit and tackle. Nicholson playing special teams, so he's healthy. I'd take my chances with him. At least he's aggressive, and a big hitter. 

Also, why not play JHD or even Zach Vigil who are better against the pass, and have better sideline to sideline speed vs. Mason Foster?

Welcome to the forum, DJ.

Archived