• Blog Entries

• By JimmiJo in ES Coverage
      ES Coverage: Giants vs Redskins 

12/9/18

DEFEAT!!!

Giants 40 - Redskins 16

Greetings friends, JimmiJo here, and I am joined by my shivering partner, Spaceman Spiff. Together we will bring you this all important NFC East divisional matchup between the Washington Redskins and New York Giants.

When I was last with you the Redskins had command of the division and there was optimism to spare. Since, devastating injuries to quarterbacks, linemen, and cornerbacks has left this team losers in 4-of-5 contests.

But there is still everything to play for, and if they can manage a victory today and the Eagles to the same Washington will once again have a share of the lead.

I can dream can't I?

On paper, the future looks grim. A continued collapse will start the questions about the future of personnel and perhaps leadership. Yes, we can certainly point to injuries as the primary reason the team is struggling. But the record earlier in the year was masking some issues with the squad. No real arial threat. An inconsistent running game. And a defense that has been anything but consistent.

But these are questions for another time. Today, it is just two teams looking for a win.

See you at the half.

Follow along on Twitter @Skinscast 

Inactives

The Redskins declared the following players as inactive:
      o   No. 12 QB Colt McCoy
      o   No. 32 RB Samaje Perine
      o   No. 46 RB Kapri Bibbs
      o   No. 52 LB Ryan Anderson
      o   No. 63 C Demetrius Rhaney
      o   No. 66 G Tony Bergstrom
      o   No. 99 DL Caleb Brantley

JimmiJo

I was happy to see players like Josh Johnson and Byron Marshall in the game. The marquee guys did not earn the right to play following the disastrous first half. It was historically bad.

Never before had the Washington Redskins trailed by as much as the 34-0 deficit they entertained today at the half.

I remarked to one of the writers that in 13-seasons I had never seen this team so outplayed as today. The offense led by Mark Sanchez was throw-up in mouth bad. At no point did you feel like they would or could score.

I tweeted before the game that it is time for Daniel Snyder to replaced head coach Jay Gruden. Yes injuries are the headline. But the offense was poor before the injuries.

No aerial threat and an inconsistent rushing. They only seemed to score 20-points per game.

What they did do well was hold on to the ball. And the defense was a takeover machine the first half of the year.
      But turnovers tend to even out.

So I was more than glad to see those ‘backups’ play. All they did was show they should have been playing in the first half.

Especially Johnson. Take a look at your Redskins’ starter the rest of the way. From his first snap the offense looked different. There was energy. There was life.

And there was threat.

Johnson played with more command, accuracy and imagination than Mark Sanchez. He looked much more the accomplished quarterback.

A word on Josh Doctson. You are an idiot. Without the stupid penalty you are not letting the safety out-position you to make the pick with 5-minutes left.

Following this game, staring at the standings and considering possible scenarios for getting in the playoffs is fools’ gold. It is all about assessing who it worth keeping for next year.

I don’t believe head coach Jay Gruden is going to make the list. Nor should he. He has had nore than enough time to do something here. He had Kirk Cousins’ starting over 3-full seasons.

He had his chance.

I tweeted before the game team owner Daniel Snyder should let Gruden go and bring in Mike McCarthy. Washington Post writer (and friend) Rick Snider made a great counterpoint to that idea:

“Why would McCarthy want to come here? He has better options,” he said.

That sure feels like the truth. And if so, it may explain why Gruden is fast becoming one of the most tenured coaches in the league.

This was my last game for this season. I would like to thank Extremeskins and the team for the opportunity this year. I will see you guys next year.

Let me go on the record now and say I do not think Jay Gruden's position here is secure. Not with the likes of Mike McCarthy available.
skins island connection

Redskins vs Giants Prediction Thread: The "Take Me Behind The Woodshed" Episode

Who wins the game?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win this battle for futility?

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Didn't love just hearing Tarik El Bashir on the radio saying he was at practice and it looked low energy.

Giants 28  Redskins 17

I am more interested to see if the defense can stop their free fall than any other plot line. 

Ya know, one possible angle is this;

the Giants know they have no shot, and they know we're playing a back-up to back-up to back-up QB, its possible they lax a little.

Afterall,  they're only ruining their draft pick order by winning [ which I found strange because they beat the Bears ], but maybe they 'accidentally' beat them?

Sanchez had some passes that had some zip on them, if Jay over-simplifies the offense and tells the WRs they're gonna have to fight for the ball, he can just call simple 'go' routes and let Sanchez take a 3 step drop and chunk an arching pass.

Now that the shock of the Eagles game is over, I'm settling in to a thought process that thinks the Redskins may actually have a very good chance. I didn't have that feeling with the Eagles, but being the pressure is off regarding expectations, they could come out playing loose.

where's my Hemp oil at? oh, here it is. Wait. [ gulp ]. ok I'm back.

I'm thinking a Redskins win 22-20. 1 TD and a ****load of FGs.

• Sad 1

So with the new guys on IR are we going to see a lot of youngsters play against the Giants? Or do we really think we can make the playoffs. Give them some experience for next season's. Maybe start signing some practise squad guys from other teams. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, skins island connection said:

Ya know, one possible angle is this;

the Giants know they have no shot, and they know we're playing a back-up to back-up to back-up QB, its possible they lax a little.

Afterall,  they're only ruining their draft pick order by winning [ which I found strange because they beat the Bears ], but maybe they 'accidentally' beat them?

Sanchez had some passes that had some zip on them, if Jay over-simplifies the offense and tells the WRs they're gonna have to fight for the ball, he can just call simple 'go' routes and let Sanchez take a 3 step drop and chunk an arching pass.

Now that the shock of the Eagles game is over, I'm settling in to a thought process that thinks the Redskins may actually have a very good chance. I didn't have that feeling with the Eagles, but being the pressure is off regarding expectations, they could come out playing loose.

where's my Hemp oil at? oh, here it is. Wait. [ gulp ]. ok I'm back.

I'm thinking a Redskins win 22-20. 1 TD and a ****load of FGs.

I predict that after the first quarter you will have gotten rid of your silly notion of the Redskins winning.  In fact, it could be as early as the Giants opening drive of the game.  I say this with a heavy heart.☹️

3 hours ago, cakmoney61 said:

I predict that after the first quarter you will have gotten rid of your silly notion of the Redskins winning.  In fact, it could be as early as the Giants opening drive of the game.  I say this with a heavy heart.☹️

It is a winnable game.

The Ladys of Redskins just need to help a little; get out their compacts, when Eli drops back, angle their mirrors until the sunlight hits Eli's helmet so he will be blinded. Our luck it will be a cloudy day  :unsure:

• Haha 1

I don't see Sanchez being effective .  Our D does continues where it left off the last couple of games.  They will give up large chunks of yardage, and most specifically will continue the trend of being ineffective on 3rd and whatever.  And they will continue not to tackle.  They will just try to strip the ball away.  Eli will have a good day.

24 - Giants

13 - Skins

I give Skins about a 10% chance in this one.  Giants have been playing inspired as of late and the Skins are playing with Scrubs all over the Offense and with a Defense that is getting worse every week.

Redskins 10

Giants 24

8 hours ago, c slag said:

Four in a row or we don't go

I think “three out of four or we won’t play more” is actually more accurate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is gonna be worse than any prison beat down on OZ ever was...even Beacher getting all his limbs broken in the gym....

I voted it doesn’t even matter because it doesn’t down to a no talent clown like Sanchez, defense has been exposed for what it really is, and Jay Gruden looks as competent as the former high school football bench warmer that calls plays for the local youth football team. 

Giants win and win handily....

Giants: 32

Redskins: 6 (maybe) 

Only way we ever see the endzone is if AP breaks another 90 yarder. 

• Like 1

Jay Gruden On if the post practice huddle was longer than usual:

"Yeah I mean, were you peeking out the window there? [Laughter] Yeah, I had a few things to say today, you know it’s Week 13, we're 6-6, and I've just got to make sure we're all on the right page here, on the same page and doing what we're supposed to do to get ready for a football game. I think our guys this time of year; you can imagine that when you have 63 guys out here practicing, there can be some griping and moaning going on here. We had pads on today for the first part of practice, we had to check out our new lineman and people weren't happy about that. Yesterday, practice they weren’t [happy], they just played on Monday night, but there's a lot of things we have to get done from an offensive standpoint. We have to look at some guys in different positions and I don’t know. We've got a game to win, that’s all. But, [the huddle], it was normal."

This is all you need to know about our team right now, my guess is the players ****ing were mostly on defense because the offense has a bunch of fill-ins and guys who don't have that type of personality.

The team is still 6-6 and these guys are ****ing about having to practice when they obviously need as much as they can get, it speaks volumes.

Giants 35

Skins - 7

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah those players ****ing about longer practices should be let go during the off season as it shows they have no desire to get better..That **** is pathetic and just shows you all they care about is the money..

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Am getting pumped up. Sanchez killing the press conference.  Norman talking about going 10-6.  Pep talks at practice.  😀

I have some ocean front property in Idaho I’d love to sell you. Good price. 

16 hours ago, c slag said:

Four in a row or we don't go

Said another way, Paloffs is now.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I have some ocean front property in Idaho I’d love to sell you. Good price. 

Said another way, Paloffs is now.

Hey now...it's all sold out hahaha

8 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

So how long into the game till we see Johnson?..over under on big Johnson jokes?

The Big Johnson QB

Scream out those positions, any way he likes.

Bend your center over and give him a little tap on the butt, letting him know you're ready for his balls every minute.

Get everyone around in a group huddle and watch him choose who he wants to give his balls to.

Scoring will never be more often and fun when you have a Big Johnson !!

57 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

The Big Johnson QB

Scream out those positions, any way he likes.

Bend your center over and give him a little tap on the butt, letting him know you're ready for his balls every minute.

Get everyone around in a group huddle and watch him choose who he wants to give his balls to.

Scoring will never be more often and fun when you have a Big Johnson !!

Doohhhh there it is lol hahaha.. damn it I wish I would have stocked up on those big Johnson shirts while I had a chance... I'd wear one each game 

20 hours ago, kleese said:

I think “three out of four or we won’t play more” is actually more accurate. 

"2 of 4 and we could back door" ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A few things about this game. 

- The Giants run defense is suspect and just lost Landon Collins for the year. 

- they gave up 150 yards receiving to a RB last week

- before that they gave up 90 yards to Ertz

- before that they gave up 80 yards to OJ Howard

- before that they gave up 80 yards to Kittle

I bring these things up because I'm not expecting Sanchez to become a all pro in Gruden's offense in 2 weeks. But looking at his stats from last game, he was effective in finding Reed and Thompson on those short passes. Given they didn't mean much because we were often facing 2nd and 15 or 3rd and 20 but the idea is just that if we can just get the ball into these guys hands, then we have a chance. 

Add to that the idea that AP is the lifebeat of this offense and if he can get the ball and help us to sustain drives, then i think we have a serious chance. 

I'm saying that we have a run heavy game with some big plays from Reed and Thompson. Predicting a 20-13 win Redskins.