Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So where do we go from here (QB wise) this year and next?

MCnDaHouse

4 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

IF he retires, and announces it prior to March 5... that number then also drops an additional $16 mil for the guaranteed 2020 salary right?  

:stop:

Why would he retire?

I keep seeing this, and I don't understand it. Especially now, with the really serious issues Alex is having post op.

Guys, if Alex retires, he looses his guaranteed money, but maybe more importantly right now, he looses all his team rehab.

That means months and months of FREE medical attention to a serious injury that now has had very serious complications. And you're thinking, he's going to give that up? Seriously? For real?

Quick question: Are you people that are suggesting this had lobotomies recently? Because this is one of the DUMBEST things I've heard in a long time. And Trump is our President right now, so I hear complete idiocy every day. (Sorry about that political statement, first and last time I will use that here, but it was used to make a point)

He is not going to ****ing retire, just so Ole Brucey can get a break on the cap. Why would he do that? And now, with a huge rehab coming up, with serious complications that could easily affect his career, but his quality of life, just ****ing GIVE UP access to free, top quality medical care? Anyone that does that needs to have their head examined.

Another question. Why would ANY player that deals with the Redskins do anything that hurts themselves to help THIS organization? Especially, a guy that signed a very player friendly contract and has been here less than a year? Why would he basically just give up that contract to help Bruce ****ing Allen?

That fact that this keeps coming up blows my mind. Like we actually done anything in the past 20 years to earn that kind of respect.....................from anyone.

40 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

:stop:

Why would he retire?

I keep seeing this, and I don't understand it. Especially now, with the really serious issues Alex is having post op.

Guys, if Alex retires, he looses his guaranteed money, but maybe more importantly right now, he looses all his team rehab.

easy big fella... i posed the question to find out the financial ramifications to the team because if you read the contract it states:

Contract Notes:

• $55M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2018 salary + 2019 salary
  • 2020 salary fully guarantees on the 5th league day of 2019, currently guaranteed for injury

that 'currently guaranteed for injury' part is what has me wondering.

I don't think for a second he does it out of the goodness of his heart, nor should he.  We offered him a contract, he's got every right to have access to every part of that contractual agreement.  I was asking because does that 'guaranteed for injury' part actually extend through retirement?  Does he in fact forfeit that guaranteed money IF he does decide to retire.  I went a little deeper in the Alex Smith thread but didnt feel necessary to put that in both threads after the question had been posed here already.   This was my post. 

I agree completely.  I got to thinking about it this morning and posed the question a little bit ago.  If Alex retires prior to the 5th day of the league year, does that remove the guaranteed contract for 2020 as he's technically no longer on the roster?  If that's the case, why wouldn't he just wait until that gets activated, THEN retire.  It also could open the door for some seriously gross conversations where people may be pushing him to make that decisions PRIOR to that date, presumably before he's even ready to make that big of a decision?  Is he going to be vilified by this fan base if he gives it a serious shot at coming back, but at some point after the draft his body wont let him, therefore he retires and still gets that money?  This place is going to get turned up side down if it comes out that this is a possibility and Smith doesn't do it "out of the goodness of his heart."

I'm not saying he SHOULD feel pressured to retire prior to that date, I think he needs to do what's best for him and his family.  If he wants to give it a serious shot to return, he's earned the right to give that a chance.   

Alex absolutely has no reason to retire.  He's got every right, and it would be in his best interest as far as his health both physically and financially, to stay on the team until we're forced to release him.. He's not going to hand back that money, nor should we expect him to. 

I guess I should have worded it better by saying "IF he retires, and announces it prior to March 5... Alex forfeits that 2020 guarantee, causing it to fall off the cap, or is it fully guaranteed due to the injury caveat?"

22 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

easy big fella... i posed the question to find out the financial ramifications to the team because if you read the contract it states:

Contract Notes:

• $55M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2018 salary + 2019 salary
  • 2020 salary fully guarantees on the 5th league day of 2019, currently guaranteed for injury

that 'currently guaranteed for injury' part is what has me wondering.

Why? It says it's guaranteed even if he gets hurt. He's hurt. Possibly career ending, and possibly affecting his quality of life after the NFL. and the injury occured while playing for the team. Not many loopholes there.

I don't think for a second he does it out of the goodness of his heart, nor should he.  We offered him a contract, he's got every right to have access to every part of that contractual agreement.  I was asking because does that 'guaranteed for injury' part actually extend through retirement?  Does he in fact forfeit that guaranteed money IF he does decide to retire.  I went a little deeper in the Alex Smith thread but didnt feel necessary to put that in both threads after the question had been posed here already.   This was my post. 

Alex absolutely has no reason to retire.  He's got every right, and it would be in his best interest as far as his health both physically and financially, to stay on the team until we're forced to release him.. He's not going to hand back that money, nor should we expect him to. 

Then why on earth are you suggesting he might?

3 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Why? It says it's guaranteed even if he gets hurt. He's hurt. Possibly career ending, and possibly affecting his quality of life after the NFL. and the injury occured while playing for the team. Not many loopholes there.

Then why on earth are you suggesting he might? And to be honest, this conversation does not belong here. We should keep it in the Alex Smith thread, not this one. This is specifically about his injury status.

1.  Because he's injured does retirement then void the contract?  From what I understand he's due the money for 2019 whether he retires or not because it was guaranteed at signing, is that the case for 2020... that's why I was asking

2.  I didn't mean to imply he might.  In fact my response to someone saying "YES, it voids 2020" I would have then said.... Wow... then he's clearly going to wait til after March 17.... and because you quoted me here and called me out so I was responding to your statement.  

2 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

1.  Because he's injured does retirement then void the contract?  From what I understand he's due the money for 2019 whether he retires or not because it was guaranteed at signing, is that the case for 2020... that's why I was asking

2.  I didn't mean to imply he might.  In fact my response to someone saying "YES, it voids 2020" I would have then said.... Wow... then he's clearly going to wait til after March 17.... and because you quoted me here and called me out so I was responding to your statement.  

Yeah, and Snyder might sell the team tomorrow. Neither is remotely realistic enough to consider. Much less talk about.

Archived