Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So where do we go from here (QB wise) this year and next?

MCnDaHouse

2 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

We haven't signed him yet. Our franchise has reached the pathetic state of having to "hope" we are able to sign Josh Johnson.

Looks like they did. This tweet came out 3 hours ago. 

John Keim✔@john_keim

Yes, the Redskins are signing Josh Johnson. Experience with Gruden in Tampa in 2008 and Cincinnati in 2013

8 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

He'll be back for at least two more years. As long as he can pass a physical, he'll want those dollars.

Smiths contract is fully guaranteed for injury the next two years. He’s getting those dollars even if he can’t pass a physical.

Keep Smith.

Draft a QB #1 or #2, depending if he's worthy of a #1, and with this draft, he probably won't be.

If Smith is healthy, keep Smith around until and if the drafted QB beats him out.

In addition, go after a FA as insurance. He can be a backup, or he could start if the draftee isn't ready and Smith is either still recovering or doesn't put out.

KEEP 3 QB'S ON 53 IN 2019.

2 hours ago, zskins said:

John Keim✔@john_keim

Yes, the Redskins are signing Josh Johnson. Experience with Gruden in Tampa in 2008 and Cincinnati in 2013

Surely Kaepernick just won his collusion case. We're taking a guy with 5 games and 2 ints per game in 10 years (who hasnt thrown an NFL ball in 7 years!) over the dude with pro bowl and superbowl appearances.

In fact Kaep has more superbowl appearances in the last 5 years than Josh has had snaps. 

The vaguest excuse about Gruden having worked with him 10 years ago and again 5 years ago like it makes a difference. Oh yes Jay, Im sure Josh will be fluent in your system within days as he remembers everything from 5/10 years ago perfectly.

Embarrassing excuses.

Whatever you think about Kaep, it is indisputable he is a far superior QB to Josh freaking Johnson. I know the cupboard is bare right now for backups but this is probably the worst QB we could've found on the street. Even take Kaep out of the equation and id rather take any of the others we brought in. Id take johnny football over josh  johnson. Just straight up bad decision if they actuallly care about winning. If Sanchez goes down we wont just lose out, we'll get blown out every game.

4 hours ago, UKskins said:

Surely Kaepernick just won his collusion case. We're taking a guy with 5 games and 2 ints per game in 10 years (who hasnt thrown an NFL ball in 7 years!) over the dude with pro bowl and superbowl appearances.

In fact Kaep has more superbowl appearances in the last 5 years than Josh has had snaps. 

The vaguest excuse about Gruden having worked with him 10 years ago and again 5 years ago like it makes a difference. Oh yes Jay, Im sure Josh will be fluent in your system within days as he remembers everything from 5/10 years ago perfectly.

Embarrassing excuses.

Whatever you think about Kaep, it is indisputable he is a far superior QB to Josh freaking Johnson. I know the cupboard is bare right now for backups but this is probably the worst QB we could've found on the street. Even take Kaep out of the equation and id rather take any of the others we brought in. Id take johnny football over josh  johnson. Just straight up bad decision if they actuallly care about winning. If Sanchez goes down we wont just lose out, we'll get blown out every game.

It doesnt matter.  Neither Kap, nor Johnson, is winning a game this year.  Sanchez has been here 2 weeks and doesnt know the plays.  How long will it take for Kap or Johnson to get up to speed?  

The angst and hand wringing over the 4th string QB, signed off the street, with 4 games to play is kinda ridiculous.

It just doesnt make a lick of difference at this point.  If Sanchez stays healthy, it's over.  If Sanchez goes down, it's over.  

34 minutes ago, justice98 said:

It doesnt matter.  Neither Kap, nor Johnson, is winning a game this year.  Sanchez has been here 2 weeks and doesnt know the plays.  How long will it take for Kap or Johnson to get up to speed?  

The angst and hand wringing over the 4th string QB, signed off the street, with 4 games to play is kinda ridiculous.

It just doesnt make a lick of difference at this point.  If Sanchez stays healthy, it's over.  If Sanchez goes down, it's over.  

Bro, it's been over for awhile now.

5 hours ago, UKskins said:

Embarrassing excuses.

As much as you'd want him on this team, its not gonna happen.

There are certain roads that no one wants to travel down. He is one of those roads. Not that it matters anyway, this team is most likely not going to win another game this year, and no one wants him on the team taking a roster spot from someone else that is deserving.

9 hours ago, zskins said:

John Keim✔@john_keim

I know that when I think excellence, the 2008 Bucs and 2013 Bengals are the first things that come to mind. :D

Trying times....

They are so behind the 8 ball at QB, I support drafting 2 QBs.  One high, one later.  There'll be no FA QB worth a damn, no obvious trade possibility, the future of Smith is iffy, and Colt cant really be counted on to last more than a few games (and he's just plain not good enough).  

Now, come next spring, there will be a much clearer picture, but this is a perfect opportunity, delivered on a silver platter to prepare for the future. 

No point in drafting QB in 2019. This upcoming QB class sucks and even if guys like Herbert and Haskins declare eligible and we tank to 6-10, we still won't be drafting high enough to take them.

We'd be better off nuking the roster of all the vets and starting over, tanking for the 2020 class which is supposed to be much better. We can't realistically cut Smith until after 2020 anyway.

if so it matches this: 

People inside Redskins Park have quietly expressed concern that Alex Smith's recovery will take longer than initially expected, Chris Russell tells The Sports Junkies.

Finlay said today he expects them to do QB early in the draft.  Keim said no doubt in his mind that they draft a QB but he's not as sure that its early in the draft.

The news about Smith is troubling...he (all QBs who have taken a snap for us this year, in fact) seems like a great guy and is easy to root for. 

I hope this doesn't come off as cold, but I would really hope that the team can wrap their arms around his intentions and availability (at least for next year) prior to the 2019 league year starting. That way, they can at least plan accordingly (sign Sanchez/Johnson if they impress, retain Colt, etc.). 

No matter WHAT happens with Smith, his money is on the books for 2019 so I can't see them signing a highly sought after bridge QB (like Bridgewater). They could certainly draft someone and groom that player for 2020. 

We are between a rock and a hard place due to Smith's contract coupled with the uncertainty of his future. 

I am not a capologist but my guess is that we can't afford to sign an expensive free agent quarterback without knowing for sure the details of Alex's future. That being the case, we are left with two options. 1) draft someone who's draft position comes with a salary we can afford along with Alex, and / or 2) cycle through cheap re-tread options like Sanchez and the like.

I don't know if it's even feasible to sign a guy like Bridgewater, without knowing what happens to Alex's cap number. Bridgewater would command starter money.

3 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

No matter WHAT happens with Smith, his money is on the books for 2019 so I can't see them signing a highly sought after bridge QB (like Bridgewater). They could certainly draft someone and groom that player for 2020. 

Is it true that even if Smith retires, we take a cap hit in 2019? I think the answer is yes but have heard conflicting things. If that is the case, there is nothing to discuss. It will be Alex or someone super cheap like Sanchez.

1 hour ago, MCnDaHouse said:

I was okay with the reasoning by Gruden until I realized the guy hasn't played in 4 yrs. That's nuts. Why not T.J. Yates or Bridgewater. They have just a good a chance at picking up the offense in a hurry as someone who last threw a pass in 2011. SMH

Clearly it's because Gruden is racist and not because Bridgewater is on the Saints and perhaps T.J. Yates didnt have as good of a workout as Johnson, or that Johnson is already familiar with Gruden type offenses...

On 12/4/2018 at 6:37 PM, Busch1724 said:

Well you draft a quarterback in round one and then another in round 4. Start  the 1st rounder, keep 4th round until Alex is healthy, and make a decision on 1st rounder and Alex after that. 

Also, just ride out this year. 

Do you mean we should draft a QB in the 1st and 4th round. Then when the 1st rounder gets hurt then comes back and plays horrible you bench him and play the 4th rounder. Then franchise the 4th rounder 2 times and then let him walk? Is that you Bruce? Should we fire Gruden and bring back Mike Shannahan too?

Jason has probably thrown a pass more recently than Josh.

After Alex went down (assuming it was legal) why didn't we grab the best kid we could find hidden on someones practice squad?  Instead, and amazingly we are getting older at QB with every passing day. Pun intended.  It seemed like the perfect chance to go young. I know, we wanted someone that a coach knew from several years ago.  At some point a team has to take a chance on a kid they don't know, but liked the tape on.  Bah, whatever.  We lost our #3 off the PS, we should have looted someone elses, AND also gotten Mark Recovery Sanchez.

Well, in all honestly at this moment we have nothing...

Smith - This infection doesn't sound good, be we weren't expecting him to contribute much in 2019 anyhow. If anything this adds an element where his career could be over, which some may not love the guy, but he's still a good player. 

McCoy - He was a 3rd round pick who will be finishing his 9th NFL season and has a starter record of 7-20. He's probably as good as any career backup. 

Draft pick - Tough to really get excited about anyone in this draft let alone hoping they can start games in 2019. 

Free agent - There are some names. From the list I'd be interested in Bridgewater, Taylor and maybe Bradford if his knee somehow has healed. I'd also be cool with bringing back Nate Sudfield and I'd give Geno Smith a look. This is probably the best option to help the 2019 record, but I'm unsure what Smith's cap situation looks like. We won't be able to spend over $10M for a QB when we've already committed ~$20M to the position. 

Trade - This has the exact same cap issues as the Free Agent route, but we'd end up giving up something (unless our GM (maybe not Allen?) can pull a Brock Osweiler type trade). Anyway, names here would be Flacco, Foles, Bortles or Eli. That all sounds horrible. I'd say there's also a chance that names like Mariota, Dalton, Winston or Tannehill could become available, but they would probably cost a bit more in terms of draft capital and cap space. 

Conclusion: 

nothing_to_see_here_naked_gun.gif

Archived