Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Their legs will heal, my soul will not." And yes, we still have meaningful games remaining (musings on fan survival)

kleese

This is quite possibly the strangest/worst thread title I've ever created, but I wasn't sure how else to describe the ramblings I'm about to jump into so I just decided to make the title a ramble too. 

First of all, let's address the quote in the title... this morning I was describing to my wife (she did not stay up and watch with me) what happened last night and how insanely difficult and painful it is to be a fan of this team (which she has heard many times over). Her reply was that Smith and McCoy were likely in a LOT more pain than I was. She said I was lucky to have two functioning legs while both of theirs are currently broken. My reply to her was "their legs will heal, my soul will not." I then went on to explain that someday fairly soon they will no longer be Redskins. They will be free from the organization and they will eventually move on with their lives, if not their careers. Their time here will simply a stop in their lives. For me, I'm here forever. For those of you that are children of the 80's you might remember in Superman 2 the three bad guys led by Zod... they were encased in some sort of glass mirror and sent out in outer space to float aimlessly for eternity. That's me (side note, they did eventually make it back to flat ground before being eradicated for good). And someday I'll be eradicated too. But for now, I'm spinning just like they were. 

I say all of this of course in good humor. As with any joke, the old saying applies: "Many a truth is told in jest." So it's funny because there is much truth in it. However, I decided long ago that my passion for the Redskins was going to be something I enjoyed, period. The day I cease to enjoy it is the day I cease to engage in it. There is simply no point. So when someone asks me, "do you ENJOY being a Redskins fan?" My answer has always been (and remains) an EMPHATIC "yes." That does NOT mean that I enjoy all aspects of it or that I enjoy every single game or even every single season. 2009 is a year that always comes to mind when I think of a year I just did not enjoy being a fan. I wasn't very excited to start the season and whatever glimmer of hope I had left early and never returned. That was a year to forget, even while it was happening. And there have been plenty of other times where I've "checked out emotionally" for brief snippets. And for me, I am a HUGE NBA (Thunder) and MLB (Reds) and I like college hoops too, so once our season ends I pretty effectively tune out for months and months-- that helps. 

But yes, I still enjoy it. A lot actually. 

I've always said the reason I don't loathe Snyder the way others do is because my rock bottom started before he even took over. 1996-2000 were my bottoming years in terms of pain inflicted and expectations and hopes dashed. That's when I "grew up" as a sports fan and realized that the Redskins of my childhood were dead and gone. I certainly didn't anticipate 18 more years (and counting) of continued disappointment, but I decided way back then that I was either going to enjoy this REGARDLESS of results or I wasn't. So I came up with a very simple fan-based defense mechanism and system of values that keeps me going:

--It's OK to laugh. Let's face it, there is something morbidly enjoyable about painting yourself a tortured fan. I mean this when I say it-- I think some Cubs fans were kind of disappointed (or at least confused) when they won the World Series because it stripped away their entire shtick as a fan base. Sort of like, "uh, ok, now what?" Now, the Redskins certainly wouldn't be described as "lovable" losers by any stretch, but they have had a TON of baffling moments that come out being pretty darn funny. Heck, I cue up the Zorn fake punt at least once a year on youtube for a good chuckle. The Spurrier gum-flap is also good. Gus head to the wall? The Romeo Bandison play?  And I have stories upon stories of my own ridiculous outbursts (mostly from the late 90's) after gut-wrenching losses. I always figure along the way, I was spending days watching football mainly with friends and family-- and if I can't find the joy in that, it's time to quit. So I've made the conscious decision to NOT quit and instead find the joy. 

--Don't worry about having hopes dashed. That's for weenies IMO. Some fans are so afraid to get excited because they fear the inevitable crash. I say, "who cares?" If you are a fan it's probably going to hurt either way, so embrace the very fleeting moments where it looks like things may not turn out terribly-- even if you think they ultimately will. So even if you think the 6-3 start was a mirage, enjoy it while it's there. 

--Embrace games that matter. This is REALLY what it's about to me. Growing up on teams that played into January, I didn't realize how much I associated the holidays and New Year with the Redskins until they weren't there anymore. That REALLY stung in 1993-1995 when we were done by Thanksgiving. I hated that and told myself I wouldn't whine about having a Super Bowl team as long as they could at least return to meaningful games late in the year. So that is my minimum goal each year-- give me December games that matter. I don't care what the probabilities are or what I THINK is going to happen. Give me games that matter and I'll worry about ones that don't when we get to them.  

So for me, here were are.... we are 6-6 and in a playoff race. We are also at a point where it feels like the season is 100% falling apart. The idea of making some sort of run with Mark Sanchez at the helm is pretty comical. Especially when you fold in the fact that OL around him is also falling apart. 

But this is how I survive.... 

We will play a game on Sunday, December 9th that matters, period. You can chime in and start telling me about how it really doesn't matter because who cares anyway, it's inevitable, etc... and you wouldn't be wrong. But I will put my fingers in my ears and jump up and down screaming "lalalalalalalalalalalala." I will go through my Sunday routine, wear my Skins gear, and embrace it as quite possibly being one of the last times I will get to do so until September of next year. Because IF they find a way to win on Sunday, then I can watch the rest of the games that weekend with legitimate interest. And I can spend the entire week of the Jags game looking forward to it. For those that say, even on the crazy chance we DO make the playoffs, we'd be gone easy in round one.... I say, again, "who cares.?" If THIS team, with THIS insane injury list were to somehow make it to January that would be a MAJOR accomplishment and perhaps signal that we aren't as in dire of a situation as it appears we are in-- even if they got bounced early. And yeah, would I WANT to play Dallas in January? Even with Sanchize? Uh yes. Can you IMAGINE if we beat Dallas (either outright or in a playoff game) with Sanchez at QB? That would be epic on all levels. 

So here's the deal, this isn't homerism or being unrealistic. If you asked me to put my paycheck on the line, I'm putting it on the under for 8 wins total this season. 

But it hasn't happened yet. 

And that's how I operate. 

It hasn't happened yet. 

I know how it feels once it does happen, so I'm not going to rush myself to that spot. 

I keep it simple. Really, really simple. I have chosen to remain a Redskins fan. The Redskins play a game on Sunday that matters. Therefore, I will look forward to said game. I will root for the Redskins to win. And then after the game I reassess. Simple. Now, go out there boys and break a leg. 

6 minutes ago, kleese said:

--Embrace games that matter. This is REALLY what it's about to me. Growing up on teams that played into January, I didn't realize how much I associated the holidays and New Year with the Redskins until they weren't there anymore. That REALLY stung in 1993-1995 when we were done by Thanksgiving.

Good post, as always. I will still watch the last 4 games and HOPE that we figure out a way to limp into the playoffs. Each game in and of itself is winnable. But, I'm at the point where I'm mostly focused on what happens once the season ends. 

I wanted to quote the "holidays" point that you made...I can't agree more! The Redskins were synonymous with Christmas to me. I remember one (bad) game from either 89 or 90. We were playing the Colts while my family was decorating the tree. It was a formality we'd win, but somehow we were in a nip-and-tuck game with Indy. We blew two different 4th quarter leads and eventually lost on a pick-6. I broke an ornament. But, to your larger point, it was always assumed that in December the games would either matter or be meaningless for a good reason. 

That's one thing that I have appreciated about Gruden's past 4 years...we've entered December alive. 

This is how bad it is: Both a Cowboy fan AND an Eagles fan at my work expressed their condolences to me today and did it SERIOUSLY. It was as if they'd witnessed a brutal beating of someone they didn't like, but realized after a few minutes of incessant mule kicks to the spleen that the beating had become far, far, FAR more vicious than even they had the stomach for. 

That's.

How bad.

It is. 

Well stated. It's been a long haul since the last glory days of late 80's and early 90's. I have to remind myself when I tell people I'm a Redskins fan that anyone under 30 likely has no clue we used to be somewhat consistently good and played in many playoff games.

If you think about it though the Cowboys haven't really done anything since the mid-nineties. They have had some good years but nothing to show for it since then. So would you rather have the hype and lack of results they have had or just the utter failure to launch (except for RG3's rookie year) that the skins have had. I'll keep the faith and hope one day soon the odds will be in our favor.

Kleese, we get it.  We understand that you’ve made the decision long ago to enjoy the Redskins no matter what.  God bless you, my friend.

I think everyone would somewhat enjoy the rest of the division bottoming out, while we luck into some wins, and limp into the playoffs on fumes with a bunch of misfits.

But it’s too soon to even entertain such thoughts.

38 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Good post, as always. I will still watch the last 4 games and HOPE that we figure out a way to limp into the playoffs. Each game in and of itself is winnable. But, I'm at the point where I'm mostly focused on what happens once the season ends. 

I wanted to quote the "holidays" point that you made...I can't agree more! The Redskins were synonymous with Christmas to me. I remember one (bad) game from either 89 or 90. We were playing the Colts while my family was decorating the tree. It was a formality we'd win, but somehow we were in a nip-and-tuck game with Indy. We blew two different 4th quarter leads and eventually lost on a pick-6. I broke an ornament. But, to your larger point, it was always assumed that in December the games would either matter or be meaningless for a good reason. 

That's one thing that I have appreciated about Gruden's past 4 years...we've entered December alive. 

I am 95% sure that Colts game at Indy was on a Saturday night. I remember the Pick 6 well. I also recall, much like you, being almost insulted that we would be in a competitive game with the Colts- and then despondent that we actually lost. 

19 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Kleese, we get it.  We understand that you’ve made the decision long ago to enjoy the Redskins no matter what.  God bless you, my friend.

I think everyone would somewhat enjoy the rest of the division bottoming out, while we luck into some wins, and limp into the playoffs on fumes with a bunch of misfits.

But it’s too soon to even entertain such thoughts.

I've been on ES since 2001 and I bet I haven't said anything "new" since 2002. That is an accurate characterization. But then again, has anyone around here? That's why people keep coming here-- it's like the Fat Albert gang-- the same guys (and gals) doing the same things over and over and over again. You can count on it. It's familiar and and like @TD_washingtonredskins said, potentially cathartic. We all have roles. I own mine. I'll accept being Mush Mouth, or even Dumb Donald (man that cartoon would NOT fly in 2018). 

11 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

The NFL is designed to make nearly every team's December's games matter. By my calculations, 21 teams can do some math and figure out a path to the post-season right now.

So, congratulations. You want the absolute bare minimum from your designated teams.

Your second sentence is true, I start with a bare minimum. If the Skins give me December games that matter, I won't consider it a "bad" season. That doesn't mean I consider it good either. To your first point, this does differ a bit from say, last year. Last year we were 5-7 and still had mathematical hope, but it was already a long shot-- we needed to win out and X and Y and Z had to happen. Right now, we don't need X and Y and Z. We control our own destiny, and there's a good chance we control it going into week 17 if we just win two of the next three. So we aren't doing math gymnastics to find our way to the post season. Now, will it take on-field miracles to make it happen? Yeah, that seems likely. But no mathematical ones. 

2 minutes ago, kleese said:

Your second sentence is true, I start with a bare minimum. If the Skins give me December games that matter, I won't consider it a "bad" season. That doesn't mean I consider it good either. To your first point, this does differ a bit from say, last year. Last year we were 5-7 and still had mathematical hope, but it was already a long shot-- we needed to win out and X and Y and Z had to happen. Right now, we don't need X and Y and Z. We control our own destiny, and there's a good chance we control it going into week 17 if we just win two of the next three. So we aren't doing math gymnastics to find our way to the post season. Now, will it take on-field miracles to make it happen? Yeah, that seems likely. But no mathematical ones. 

Honey, we're having your favorite tonight: boiled chicken breast.

6 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Honey, we're having your favorite tonight: boiled chicken breast.

If you had stale bread with moldy spam on Monday and Tuesday, then boiled chicken breast on Wednesday will get your mouth watering... 

6 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

@kleese, good post and thread as always.  I wish I could say my fandom is an enjoyment, but I don't share the sentiment.  It's torture these days, but I'm stuck here, thick and thin. 

I do want to make one thing clear: my “enjoyment comment is on a macro level. For example, once the Eagles took the 22-13 lead last night I really didn’t enjoy anything else that happened in the game. I didn’t enjoy how I felt after (although watching the Thunder dominant Pistons on DVR was nice) and I didn’t enjoy how I felt waking up this morning. So we aren’t talking Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind type stuff here. Just that when Friday rolls around I’ll start looking forward to the game Sunday and I’ll at least enjoy it until the first play of the game. 

@LetThePointsSoar the games are torturous to me, but in a good way. But, once football season is over, I do miss that intense feeling that I've had a bunch this year. Think of how your heart was racing when the Cowboys or Panthers were driving and our D needed a stop earlier in the year. Or how you were excited when Houston's kicker missed that FG giving us new life and nearly leading to a comeback win. In all but 3-4 games we have gotten to feel that. 

It reminds me of that quote from Fever Pitch: It's good for your soul to invest in something you can't control. 

So, I view it as that. It's a 3-4 hour surge of adrenaline and excitement in a week full of driving kids to school, going to work, buying groceries, or helping with a last-minute project. I think just viewing the experience (journey) as the reward has helped me. Yes, of course, I'd like that journey to be more than 16 games more often. I'd also like the destination to be something better than 7-8-1 or whatever we will end up this year. But, we have no say in that. 

3 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

@LetThePointsSoar the games are torturous to me, but in a good way. But, once football season is over, I do miss that intense feeling that I've had a bunch this year. Think of how your heart was racing when the Cowboys or Panthers were driving and our D needed a stop earlier in the year. Or how you were excited when Houston's kicker missed that FG giving us new life and nearly leading to a comeback win. In all but 3-4 games we have gotten to feel that. 

It reminds me of that quote from Fever Pitch: It's good for your soul to invest in something you can't control. 

So, I view it as that. It's a 3-4 hour surge of adrenaline and excitement in a week full of driving kids to school, going to work, buying groceries, or helping with a last-minute project. I think just viewing the experience (journey) as the reward has helped me. Yes, of course, I'd like that journey to be more than 16 games more often. I'd also like the destination to be something better than 7-8-1 or whatever we will end up this year. But, we have no say in that. 

This is great and touches on why I’ve actually GROWN in fandom as I’ve gotten older and taken on more responsibility. I have three kids, run a business, blah blah blah...  lots going on and lots of things that are regimented and scheduled just like I’m sure is the same for others around here with families, jobs, etc... To me that has made my leisure time even more precious. Sunday Redskins routine is sacred and I don’t take for granted that I almost always get to pull it off. Like I always say, I won’t let the Redskins ruin the Redskins for me. 

Back in say, college, I was a little more blasé about it— 90% of my life was leisure time so I sort of took it for granted and didn’t embrace the build up etc as much as I do now. 

5 hours ago, kleese said:

I think some Cubs fans were kind of disappointed (or at least confused) when they won the World Series because it stripped away their entire shtick as a fan base. Sort of like, "uh, ok, now what?" 

Kinda like the way I felt the whole first two weeks of last June

5 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

HOPE that we figure out a way to limp into the playoffs.

I really don't get this.  Let's say it happens.  Are you happy we limp in to get crushed week 1?  Does that make it worthwhile?  I'd rather miss the playoffs when we have NO shot at making a run so we can draft higher and make a real run in a subsequent year.

19 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I really don't get this.  Let's say it happens.  Are you happy we limp in to get crushed week 1?  Does that make it worthwhile?  I'd rather miss the playoffs when we have NO shot at making a run so we can draft higher and make a real run in a subsequent year.

Yes it’s worth it to me. Absolutely. Moments matter to me. And if you play in a WC game you get a shot at a moment. What if we beat Dallas? That would go down as an all-timer for us even if we lost by 100 the next week. 

The Minneapolis Miracle last year.... the Vikings got destroyed the next week, so they play I guess didn’t ultiamtely “matter.” But it happened and I’d imagine for Minny fans it was one of the greatest fan experiences ever. 

If this team somehow limped in these last four games it would mean they played well and likely won at least 3 of 4. That would be fun. And a playoff game would be fun. Even if we wound up getting crushed if we got there. 

As a fan the journey is like 99% of it because in the end, 31 out of 32 won’t get the big hardware anyway. 

8 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Funny. I remember this game because I was watching it with a new girlfriend who knew nothing of football and I remember a Redskins WR breaking his leg and the broadcast showed him crying and she said "I thought football player were tough"...never forgot that.

I couldn't enjoy the 6-3 start .because I felt it was mirage.

Actually, I think the season us playing out exactly how I predicted.  A good start, then a collapse to 7-9 and that seems most likely.

I didn't think we would lose both our QBs. What's more unexpected, that 7-9 record could still yield us a playoff spot. Look at the remaining games for Carolina, Minnesota,  Seattle and Philadelphia?

Seattle probably getting one spot; so we are battling the other 3 for one spot.

Dallas is winning the East. 

If Gruden returns, then we just delaying the change for one year. 

I will never root for us to lose but a playoff berth this year seems to be harmful than beneficial for our long term prospects. 

We are screwed for 2019; whoever us coaching.  I'd rather see a change and rebuild the team with a new team.

Nice one kleese,  { slow, hard clapping }.

Many, like myself, look at the remainder of the season as being a train wreck in the makings, but even those can be entertaining to a degree [ depending on one's cynicism ].

Of ALL things, the idea of somehow limping, crawling, rolling into the paloffs in a wheelchair, and the possibility of having to face the Cowboys, is encouragement enough for me to simply lean back in my chair and fantasize. The idea of beating them in the playoffs, to literally watch JerryWorld burn to the ground on national tv, to watching Jerry Jones turn more red than a salad tomato, then scream-crying like an un-disciplined baby at WalMart on the same tv, then him ending up firing everyone in the entire organization, would be a worthwhile piece of historical amusement that even god would crack a smile.

I don't envision this happening, but who's to say it can't, at least at this moment. The only, and only concern that I would have would be that such an historical achievement could likely secure FO personnel { you know who I'm referring to ] and that would be the sharpest double-edged sword known to mankind.

Right now I am mostly numb reflecting on this season, but there's always that little bitty space in one part of my brain, comforting me, saying 'everything's gonna be ok', and as much as I want to corner that little piece and smash it with my shoe, I just can't catch it, so I just try to ignore it, but its still there, chiming in every once in awhile. But if the wildly hypothetical above DOES actually happen, I will most certainly be comfortably numb...

Archived