Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The official clean house thread.. lay out your plan for the future here

crabbypatty

6 hours ago, Peregrine said:

My #1 Franchise in the NFL FOOL Proof Plan:

1. Can the front office, and the entire coaching staff, retaining only Kyle Smith, Brian Lafemina, maybe one other guy.  For the coaches, maybe retain Jim Tomsula, and thats about it.

2. Have Lafemina, and only Lafemina, without any Snyder influence, pick the next GM.  Who then picks the HC.  Who then picks his coaches.  Revolutionary, I know.

3. Cut Norman, Reed, and a few of the higher priced guys who we really havent gotten enough production out of.  If you can get draft picks for a few of the ageing and underperforming vets, do that as well.

4. If theres a good one you can get, draft a 1st round QB, and then draft for skill across all of the positions.

5. Stay out of the FA market for 2019.  We will lose several players to free agency, but if we stay out of it we may again end up with multiple comp picks. for 2020.

6. Realize that 2019 will suck.  Be bad, and embrace it.  Then, get some real nice draft position and...

7. Draft heavy in 2020 again, now giving you 2 full drafts under the new GM, loaded with new players on cheap deals.  But now also go into the FA market, getting 4-5 starters, including multiple linemen.  Since we didnt spend last year, we rolled over all of the saved cap and should have a ton.

8 Profit.

1: ok why not

2: ok why not

3 to 7: That's Owner telling President and GM what To do.

That's Owner meddling in.

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't mind a new GM coming in and finding a new head coach because I believe in a structure like that.

I think where I disagree with some of Jay critics its on these fronts -- and my points on this are:

A.  The next HC will be better just because -- name that coordinator...lets take Diflippo -- hot coordinator before the season, but criticized this season and now he's not as sexy a hire compared to before the season started.  I think people fall in love with a narrative for the new coach but soon enough you learn the next dude has his faults, too.  It's like  when you started dating someone -- initially its exciting and seems almost perfect but then you start seeing the weeds over the time.  And we all have our share of weeds.   😀

You were maybe not aiming this at me, but just in case, I do not want a new HC just to have a new HC. I want a true NFL Gm that picks his own coach. And hey, if that's Shaffer and he likes Jay, then Ok. My bigger point is that I want it to be their decision - not a dan left over - well you can be GM but you have to keep jay. It sets the wrong tone right from the start. 

B.  Change when it involves a coaching staff typically is a step back for an organization initially.  Yes, there are exceptions to this.  But the odds are you got an adjustment phase -- new system, new type of players to fit the scheme, etc.

I am Ok with this. While I am not OK with most of what the FO has done, the last few drafts are fairly decent. This means we have the beginnings of a nice corp of young players. There are a few building blocks I think you can get in free agency, but then I would keep on the path of building through the draft. Most of all, I DO NOT want them to go QB early in the draft next year. There is no one that is worth it IMO and I would rather build that Oline so we can move on from some of these injured players and journeymen. 

C.  If we are going QB in this draft and early which seems likely according to most beat guys right now -- I don't think you can do better than having Jay in house.  Scot indeed told me to my face that Jay is a really good evaluator.  Cooley has talked about it.  Heck ESPN ran an article about the last draft quoting anonymous personnel people about other teams drafts -- and for the Redskins, the personnel guy from another team commenting said more or less that Jay is the best evaluator in that building.  

There should be no scenario where Bruce stays and Jay is fired. So if Bruce is still here then I would hope they would finally let Jay pick his own QB. Having said that, as I said above, I think trying to get your QB in this draft is not the right thing to do. Look to 2020. 

I do agree Jay has flaws and even agree with some of the criticisms I typically read about him.  I also agree he's not special as a head coach.  But I think he's a good head coach.  And I'd say at least 50-50 the next coordinator or college coach they bring in here will be a downgrade versus an upgrade.   And my biggest issue with the criticism is directing the animosity his way gives management a way out -- and IMO its management -- the team president/owner that's the biggest problem here and by a mile. 

It astounds me how many people who otherwise seems to have a decent understanding of the Redskins and football still do not see these two as the main issues - and as you say "by a mile!"

I think with Dan-Bruce in the building the odds that they get the QB position wrong in the draft without Jay - I'd put that at about 85% or so they screw it up.   Dan-Bruce have already screwed up the QB at an epic level many times.   Jay who my gut is indeed the best evaluator in that building might save them from another gaffe.  Jay who is an ex-QB and knows the position as good as anyone, I think will increase the odds that we get that position right in the draft.   And to me that's a big deal.  I don't think you can win without a QB.

I would have fired Bruce already. Let Shaffer be the interim GM. Move on from the guy. Every day he is there his cancer spreads takes more of the team. The other day he trotted Jay out to say they talked about Kaperkick for QB (not starting that discussion here, just making reference to Bruce not doing his job!). That should have been Bruce and it should have been done immediately. And the reasons given were lame. I felt bad for Jay having to take that heat - regardless of if you agree/disagree with bringing Kap in, making Jay and Doug (for Foster) do his job because it's the dirty work is despicable. 

As for pure gossip from talk radio in the last day or so combining narratives from Russell, Keim and Finlay:

Kevin O'Connell is considered a hot commodity in that building as an up and coming star

Jay is likely safe but if the last 4 games go royally bad that might change things

Bruce might be safe, might not be -- seems like there is some disagreement on this.  Keim thinks Bruce's unpopularity with fans is even worse from what he recalled than the animosity was towards Vinny

@goskins10

Not saying you in particular, just saw one of your replies to SIP, so I'm just reflecting on that.

There shouldn't be any 'scenario' discussions regarding Bruce Allen still being here next season from anyone. We are all in agreement that he is the cancer to this team, and we should be demanding his termination. I hate to envision him being here for 1 minute after the week 17 game is over, and I'm hoping that Snyder is seeing/hearing everyone's displeasure with him and his antics over the years.

I know there's a possibility that he does survive, and I think that will discourage some fans from this team, and if things don't change the seats will be even emptier next season, so I'm just hoping and praying Bruce Allen is shown the door, and soon. I don't even want to see him stepping down and taking a lesser role, because we all know he will meddle and throw his weight around when he feels like it, and that's something this team doesn't need.

5 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

@goskins10

Not saying you in particular, just saw one of your replies to SIP, so I'm just reflecting on that.

There shouldn't be any 'scenario' discussions regarding Bruce Allen still being here next season from anyone. We are all in agreement that he is the cancer to this team, and we should be demanding his termination. I hate to envision him being here for 1 minute after the week 17 game is over, and I'm hoping that Snyder is seeing/hearing everyone's displeasure with him and his antics over the years.

I know there's a possibility that he does survive, and I think that will discourage some fans from this team, and if things don't change the seats will be even emptier next season, so I'm just hoping and praying Bruce Allen is shown the door, and soon. I don't even want to see him stepping down and taking a lesser role, because we all know he will meddle and throw his weight around when he feels like it, and that's something this team doesn't need.

Until bruce is gone there has to be discussions on what happens next with him in the building. Is it what I want? Of course not. Most all agree on that point. But we do not get to make that call. 

So until he is gone, there will be discussions about him still ruining er eh, running the team next year. Hopefully, they all become moot. If they lose to the giants this week - and I see no reason why they wold not, Christmas may come early and he may be given the boot this coming Monday - maybe Tuesday so as not to interfere with MNF. 

I have never rooted for the the team to lose and I can't start now. I want them to win just as badly as any other game. But it sure would be a nice consolation prize to see bruce sent packing if they do lose.  

32 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Until bruce is gone there has to be discussions on what happens next with him in the building. Is it what I want? Of course not. Most all agree on that point. But we do not get to make that call. 

So until he is gone, there will be discussions about him still ruining er eh, running the team next year. Hopefully, they all become moot. If they lose to the giants this week - and I see no reason why they wold not, Christmas may come early and he may be given the boot this coming Monday - maybe Tuesday so as not to interfere with MNF. 

I have never rooted for the the team to lose and I can't start now. I want them to win just as badly as any other game. But it sure would be a nice consolation prize to see bruce sent packing if they do lose.  

I guess if Bruce does stay here, we have to take as many shots at QB as we possibly can and hope we hit a home run.  An elite QB can make up for A LOT of deficiencies above him.  It's the absolute riskiest and feast or famine mentality to have, but as long as Bruce and Jay are the ones calling the shots, I don't see things being built 'correctly.' 

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

You were maybe not aiming this at me, but just in case, I do not want a new HC just to have a new HC. I want a true NFL Gm that picks his own coach. And hey, if that's Shaffer and he likes Jay, then Ok. My bigger point is that I want it to be their decision - not a dan left over - well you can be GM but you have to keep jay. It sets the wrong tone right from the start. 

Not directed at you at all as for the HC just to have a new HC comment. I agree with a GM picking the coach in any context and circumstance and especially here.

My point about the new HC is I recall the feeling that whatever hot coordinator is out there has it cooking and in theory they are great until you ultimately see the warts up close.  I was using the example of Defillipo being hot before the season -- now I see on twitter people wanting his head.  Sometimes, the hot coordinator is "hot" because of great circumstances and timing more so than their own magic abilities -- great QB-supporting cast having a great season or whatever.  

I've read some articles-books on coaches and it seems like the common theme for the great ones is personality-leadership more so than X's and O's.  Finlay talked about this the other day saying being around Sean what made him special in his mind is extraordinary people skills.

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

Most of all, I DO NOT want them to go QB early in the draft next year. There is no one that is worth it IMO and I would rather build that Oline so we can move on from some of these injured players and journeymen. 

I am open to anything on this front.  I love Tua and Fromm who are coming out in 2020 but assume we have no shot at them unless they really tank next season or give up an RG3 type ransom deal.  I've been delving into the 2019 QBs some, there are some IMO intriguing possibilities depending on who comes out.   Keim and Finlay have gotten the impression from their FO contacts that QB is going down with this team in this draft.  Will see.  If so, I do trust Jay in that building to figure things out above anyone else there.

27 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Play the long game for once.  

I agree with this ... but havent we been playing the long game for 5 years or so now?

9 picks in '18; 10 in '17; 7 in '16 and 10 in '15.

There was an article floating around here a week or two ago that we were among the top teams in terms of drafted players who are on an active roster. 

We mostly been "right player-right price" approach in FA, not signing big time names for big time contracts. Alex Smith was a big kinda FA splash (trade and sign) and well, that sucked.

I realize we probably havent played the "long game" long enough .. but havent we been playing it?

edit - weve invested in the trenches. Werent we beating the "you win in the trenches" drum for years?

3 1st R draft picks on the D line (Kerrigan, Allen, Payne)

2 2nd R picks on the D (Anderson, Smith .. 3 if you count Trent Murphy)

2 1st R on the O line

Moses was a 3rd, Long was a 3rd

Im rambling and depressed ..

11 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

I agree with this ... but havent we been playing the long game for 5 years or so now?

9 picks in '18; 10 in '17; 7 in '16 and 10 in '15.

There was an article floating around here a week or two ago that we were among the top teams in terms of drafted players who are on an active roster. 

We mostly been "right player-right price" approach in FA, not signing big time names for big time contracts. Alex Smith was a big kinda FA splash (trade and sign) and well, that sucked.

I realize we probably havent played the "long game" long enough .. but havent we been playing it?

I think it's more the dynamic of the way we build the team.  Yes we've been APPEARING to do better with player acquisition, but Jay inherited a 2 QBs and 5 years later neither are on the roster.  Denying the long game would be to hire a HC BEFORE replacing the GM because you're then either forcing a GM to carry that HC til the end of his deal, or fire him, eat the money and hire his new guy.  Denying the long game would be to draft a QB this year, then fire Jay after next season forcing a HC to carry over a QB that he didnt get to pick.  The long game would be to start at the top and work down so every move is done with a plan in place... not going QB, then HC, then GM where everyone is coming in with an inherited investment.  

5 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

That's what I always find odd about these "rebuild plans" that we try to come up with (myself included)...If I actually get what I want, only step 1 matters, which is: Hire good football guys and get out of their way. 

So, I almost think for conversational purposes, we should always assume that step 1 is done first and then we're laying out what we'd want that football guy to do 

Ok. If I'm Snyder, there has got to be something, somewhere in his not too sharp mind that he realizes he isn't very good at this. So, let's pretend that he listens to this, and tries something different.

Go around to owners and top executives and and get names of really good football minds, and execs.

Form a committee of these people, and have them execute a job search for the best Executive out there. Be prepared to pay for him.

Fire everyone. Literally everyone. Let them know this is part of the process, and rehires are possible.

Step back, and let your people work.

Realize that you've tarnished the Redskins name, and start a plan to heal the damage that has been done. Once again, this will require going outside the organization, getting names, and having them come up with a plan. Allow them to execute said plan.

Once this is all started, find a hobby. Maybe start playing racquetball with Vinnie again.

1.  Team finishes 7-9 or 6-10, probably 6-10.

2.  Fire Allen and Doug Williams and hire a  new president and GM.  The are given the mandate to reorganize the FO staff but support Gruden for another season or two because I want to see what Gruden can do with a healthier team.

4.  Prior to the April draft both Alex Smith and Colt McCoy show signs of being able to play in 2019.

5.  Use top picks 1, 2 & 3 for OL.  The Skins need a young healthy OT and a couple of interior OL.  After that I would select receivers.  I may select a project QB in the later rounds from a program that runs a pro set if an attractive one is available.

Only way this team wins is if Snyder sells. 

Snyder sells new owner hires a good GM. GM hires coach that's not players coach. GM drafts the QB both him and the coach want. Defense stays pretty close to the same minus. P.Smith, Noman and Haha. Offense stays the same as well for the most part. 

Holes include

QB

WR

Oline

LB

Edge Rusher

CB

Safety

Draft and sign 4 or 5 of those holes with a new tough coach  and things will get better around here.

Sign Peterson to another one year deal. Guice might take time to get back to full speed. Tough defense and a good run game can help the new QB a lot. 

Again though it doesn't matter Snyder is the owner. 

Fire BA.  Promote Schaffer or Smith.  Make Doug Williams Team Prez.  Hire Chris Cooley as Head coach and let him choose who would remain as coaches.  Jim Tomsula for sure.  Maybe Torrian Gray. 

Cooley is Sean McVay smart.  And I think he'd be just as bold in attacking a defense.  Cooley was a hard working player without great talent.  Those kinds of players usually make great coaches.  Because they had to work for everything they got.  He knows enough about all three phases of the game to hold everybody accountable.  The only issue is the time he'd have to spend away from his kids. 

I know a lot of people may laugh but I'd trust Cooley (who bleeds B&G) more than some no name guy who happened to have one good year. 

14 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Well, I was ANTICIPATING how it would play out with a decent GM.  I was roleplaying, so to speak 😉.  Because it seemed like it would be a really short thread and responses if it was literally what you would do as the owner.  Would be, Fire bruce, hire new guy, profit.

This isn’t front office structure related, it’s reboot related.

This might be really unpopular, but if we’re not going to make the playoffs next year anyway, or have any real hope of a deep playoff run, I take the full Alex Smith contract hit in 1 year and get it off the books.  Even if that means having it take 1/3 of the cap.  

I’d also try and trade Trent, Kerrigan, Reed, CT and Doctson.  Even if it’s for 4th - 7th rounders, get their money off the books for draft picks.  They’re not healthy or performing, and they’re probably too old to be here and perform at a high level once they get the QB in place and developed.

The defense has some good young talent,  so concentrate the 2019 draft on building the defense even more.  

The offense is going to need an entire overhaul (again) minus Sherff and Guice if he’s healthy. So just get what you can with cheap FAs and roll with it in 2019.

Bassically 2019 is the year you have to pay for the sins of Bruce Allen.  You might as well do it all at once or you’re going to sub-optimize0 4 years trying to clean up the mess he’s left.

To me, 0-16, 3-13, 7-9 and 8-8 are all about the same. You failed and didn’t make the playoffs so who really cares?

This team needs a serious purge of all the Bruce dumbassery, and the Jay mediocrity. 

Archived