crabbypatty

The official clean house thread.. lay out your plan for the future here

8 minutes ago, justice98 said:

How much are you paying to a rush LB that cant get to the QB though?  The price would have to be right.  Like, REALLY right.  If he didnt get his price on the market and came back at a reasonable price tag, then fine.  

He's really only acceptable because the rest of the front gets pressure.  Allen, Ioannidis, Payne, and Kerrigan have 26.5 sacks.  Smith chips in a paltry 3.5.  He's doesnt even force fumbles or things like that.

He's does toos forces fumbles..ps has won games for us..

• Haha 1

Just now, bakedtater1 said:

He's does toos forces fumbles..ps has won games for us..

He has zero this year.  One last year.  Forced fumbles are a stat, you don't have to guess.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, carex said:

so, how much faith do the fans here have in Snyder's ability to select a new GM?   I ask because a lot of these ideas are turning a middling team into a 0-16 to 3-13 team and they may end up stuck there

Hopefully DS hires a NFL know it all who can advise him on who to pick for GM. Then the GM & owner pick the HC and then HC gives a list of the people he wants for assistants to the GM who oversees the hiring. That is for your average coach but the big names will tell you who and what they want.

13 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Hes not a good player, 3.5 sacks on the season in a contract year. Ryan Anderson will do fine and could get 3.5 sacks just based off the effort he gives. 

P Smith is a journeymen player, he is not a elite pass rusher. If he plays for a fair salary I would keep him, because he is always healthy, but if he wants big bucks he walks. We should be looking for a elite pass rusher with the high Draft choice we should get unless Jaybird decides to win some of the meaning less games we have left and turns a high draft choice into a mid first. Seems those meaning less games are the only ones he can win when a loss is better.

Edited by 50yrSKINSfan
Spelling
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Hes not a good player, 3.5 sacks on the season in a contract year. Ryan Anderson will do fine and could get 3.5 sacks just based off the effort he gives. 

This is a tough one.  I don’t think it’s fair to say he’s not a good player though.  For one, Smith has shown the ability to be far more productive than this year’s numbers indicate.  Wasn’t he near the top of the league in pressures last year?  Prior to this year, I thought he’d done well setting the edge vs the run game too.  And then of course, you have to factor in Manusky and our ILBs.  1) did Manusky use him well, and 2) was Smith successful in setting the edge but our ILBs failed in filling the gap between the G and T?  Tough for me to really answer that.  

13 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

What about all the other stuff..he has single handedly won us multiple games(ya know what I mean right?).. no way to Preston going..?.I'd rather see Kerrigan go to be honest with ya..

He’s done some good things for us for sure.  I can see the argument that he’s a lot younger than Kerrigan and won’t cost nearly as much, especially after a down year.  You could also factor in that if he walks after a down year, we might not get as high of a comp pick.  

I wonder about offering a 1 year deal - gives us another year (2 offseasons) to find a replacement and could increase his value on the market if he performs better (with, potentially, a different DC and ILBs that can do their jobs).  Theoretically, our corners and dline should improve with more experience, which should/could also serve to help Smith shine.   

I actually think we’re in a similar boat with Crowder.  Down year for him (so his value is probably at it’s lowest), and we’re already lacking team speed and good receivers, so I’m torn on letting him walk.  On the flip side, I don’t really like the idea of signing him a long term contract.  

4 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Wasn’t he near the top of the league in pressures last year?  

That was that BS stat that nobody believed was true because we all watched the games and know it wasnt true.

• Like 1

Preston Smith (78.6 PFF grade, #20 ranked end) is a slightly better Trent Murphy (60.7 PFF grade, #77 ranked end) to me. Trent is average, Preston is slightly above average. I understand you cant have pro bowlers at every spot but edge rusher is an impact position to me and Preston and Trent did some good things but not enough impact big plays. If they stay healthy maybe they get to 10 sacks.

I wouldnt pay Preston anything more than the 3/21 Trent Murphy got but I assume he will command more. Kerrigan's cap hit balloons a bit next year, may need to take a haircut on the other side to offset a bit. I wouldnt overpay for what Preston brings.

-----------------------------------------------------

Redskins ranked 1st in QB pressures last year with a pressure rate of 38.3%.

Kerrigan lead with 35 (13 sacks)

Smith 29 pressures

gallette with 24

------------------------------------

This year, his (Von Miller) 84 pressures were far and away the best by any edge defenders, as compiled brilliantly by Pro Football Focus. Kalil Mack came in second with 78 while DeMarcus Lawrence was third with 77.

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/04/von-miller-led-all-nfl-players-with-84-pressures-in-2017/

--------------------------------------

Assuming Preston goes else where ... does suck to see two second round draft picks walk after their rookie contract. Add in Long, Reiter, Sudfeld, etc and thats your quality depth right there ...

Edited by Why am I Mr. Pink?

16 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Preston Smith (78.6 PFF grade, #20 ranked end) is a slightly better Trent Murphy (60.7 PFF grade, #77 ranked end) to me. Trent is average, Preston is slightly above average. I understand you cant have pro bowlers at every spot but edge rusher is an impact position to me and Preston and Trent did some good things but not enough impact big plays. If they stay healthy maybe they get to 10 sacks.

I wouldnt pay Preston anything more than the 3/21 Trent Murphy got but I assume he will command more. Kerrigan's cap hit balloons a bit next year, may need to take a haircut on the other side to offset a bit. I wouldnt overpay for what Preston brings.

-----------------------------------------------------

Redskins ranked 1st in QB pressures last year with a pressure rate of 38.3%.

Kerrigan lead with 35 (13 sacks)

Smith 29 pressures

gallette with 24

------------------------------------

This year, his (Von Miller) 84 pressures were far and away the best by any edge defenders, as compiled brilliantly by Pro Football Focus. Kalil Mack came in second with 78 while DeMarcus Lawrence was third with 77.

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/04/von-miller-led-all-nfl-players-with-84-pressures-in-2017/

--------------------------------------

Assuming Preston goes else where ... does suck to see two second round draft picks walk after their rookie contract. Add in Long, Reiter, Sudfeld, etc and thats your quality depth right there ...

At the end of the day, Preston likely gets paid more than Murphy does and I'd rather have the comp pick. Ryan Anderson needs to start - otherwise, it is a wasted 2nd round pick. If you need to replace Preston and you keep Kerrigan, given how deep this draft is with rush LBs, you'll be able to find at least a rotation piece in rd. 3

• Like 1

• Snyder fires Allen, Gruden, rest of coaching staff, strength training staff, nutritional staff, save Smith & Shaeffer.  Doug Williams is given ceremonial Team President role (Face of Franchise) with no input on football operations.   
  • Smith installed as GM with sole & full control of ALL football operations. Shaeffer under Smith and in charge of Salary Cap.
  • Smith / Snyder determine franchise plan to return Redskins to competitive, then Super Bowl contender.  Plan is mapped out and approved by both.  Plan must include Alex Smith cap hit and ways to minimize constraints as well as identifying core Redskins to keep and veterans to trade or release for cap relief.
  • Snyder first consults experts that advise how to restructure training facility & nutritional program.  State of the Art program established 
  • Smith hires Head Coach, scout staff, strength training staff, nutrition staff.
  • Head Coach hires own staff and implements culture improvements.  Block heads on team identified and jettisoned.
  • Snyder voids agreement with Richmond VA for Training Camp and moves camp to smaller & more rural college location.  Carlisle, Frostburg, Warm Springs VA to name a few.  Focus shifts from spectacle of Training Camp and Marketing to Team Building in isolation with minimum distractions.
  • New coach is given time to evaluate McCoy, Johnson, or Sanchez and all 2019 QB prospects.  Alex Smith most assuredly will not play 2019 and most likely never again.  However, he is treated with upmost respect and his contract honored with no questions asked.  This will go along way towards building mutual respect between team and it's players. 
  • New coach chooses QB path and implements plan to improve QB play within his offensive scheme.
  • Draft BPA, rookie QB if plan dictates, and / or team needs as warranted by team draft board. 
  • Snyder gives new coach / GM 3 years minimum to implement plan with no interference. 
  • Year 4 of new GM / Coaching Staff -  Snyder measures progress, plan revaluations, goals / results identified for Year 4 & 5.
  • Post Year 5 if goals not met - Snyder determines if new direction needed or new plan created.          
  • Like 1

Great discussion here.

Here's my list:

1) Replace Bruce Allen as General Manager. Hire an agency with a football expert to consult in the hire. Not necessarily in-house. Not through a connection you may have had. Not necessarily a legend. Hire an agency to hire the best available, willing candidate. In doing so, the entire coaching staff is given notice that their jobs are in jeopardy. They are essentially told they are being evaluated by the new GM and while he may keep some, none of them are guaranteed anything. If they would like to be released from their contract immediately, the Redskins would respect that and let them go. Otherwise, their job is not in the least bit safe but the organization will continue to pay them until evaluation is complete.

2) Make a decision on the staff. Training staff included. Front office personnel included. Work a list from top to bottom. Leave no stone unturned. FO is decided first by the new General Manager. Once the FO is in place, you decide on your head coach. You caveat that by thinking about what the future holds at the QB position. Assuming a young QB will be brought in and need to be developed in 2019 or 2020, you decide on Gruden by thinking about whether he will be there for another 3-5 years or not. If the answer is no, and I'd believe it to be, then you remove Gruden. If the answer is yes, then you keep him and build.

3) Get the head coach in place and evaluate your remaining staff. The Head Coach and GM decide who can stay and who goes. 

4) Rebuild the roster. Burn it down as much as you can. You probably will not find immediate upgrades for all the guys you move on from. Actually, you WILL downgrade. But that's just the way it is. Guys who could be on the chopping block (I'm not saying you necessarily move on from them, but it needs to be looked at): Ryan Kerrigan, Trent Williams, Josh Norman, Jordan Reed, Jamison Crowder, Chris Thompson, Mason Foster, Zach Brown, Morgan Moses. That's on top of other guys that were a negative voice in the locker room that we may not know about. Some of those guys might be kept, and for one or two I'd understand it. But all of them could be moved on from in my opinion.

5) Start your rebuild. The DL would be largely intact, so that's your position of strength to build off of. Shore up the OL next and continue to add quality DL pieces. Quarterback is the other priority. At RB I re-sign Adrian Peterson for his leadership ability and to take some load off of both him and the returning Guice. Bibbs/Marshall round out the RBs and you have a decent RB group for a year. Fill in players in other positions with the best fits you can find.

Edited by KDawg
  • Thanks 1

I get that some people believe we have some talented people in the front office, and that one should be promoted.  However, I have major concerns about anybody in that FO or Dan Snyder being able to accurately judge who has a football brain, based on the past 20  years of this franchise.  What gives us any reason to believe anybody there knows enough to say whether the guy next to them is actually good, or just appears that compared to Bruce freakin Allen?  For that reason I would rather have a complete outsider from a proven football tree.  Someone who has had massive success for one of the big teams.

The second big concern I have related to an internal hire is Dan Snyder's meddling.  No matter who we bring in, if Snyder continues to meddle, we return to square 1.  Anybody currently on staff has been willing to endure Dans interference for years, which to me is a big red flag.  Plus, they have probably, over the years, reached a place of familiarity with Dan that means when they are hired the owner feels all too comfortable to interject himself and direct things.  

I for one would LOVE to believe that we have an amazing GM in house already, much like the talent we had with McVey, as that would make things so much easier.  However, Im just a weeeee bit skeptical.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I can't even read most of the suggestions you guys are making. Because they're too reasonable. Too prudent, too mindful of what's necessary.

I have zero hope of anything good happening with this franchise anymore.

Congrats, Danny. You broke me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Great discussion here.

Here's my list:

1) Replace Bruce Allen as General Manager. Hire an agency with a football expert to consult in the hire. Not necessarily in-house. Not through a connection you may have had. Not necessarily a legend. Hire an agency to hire the best available, willing candidate. In doing so, the entire coaching staff is given notice that their jobs are in jeopardy. They are essentially told they are being evaluated by the new GM and while he may keep some, none of them are guaranteed anything. If they would like to be released from their contract immediately, the Redskins would respect that and let them go. Otherwise, their job is not in the least bit safe but the organization will continue to pay them until evaluation is complete.

2) Make a decision on the staff. Training staff included. Front office personnel included. Work a list from top to bottom. Leave no stone unturned. FO is decided first by the new General Manager. Once the FO is in place, you decide on your head coach. You caveat that by thinking about what the future holds at the QB position. Assuming a young QB will be brought in and need to be developed in 2019 or 2020, you decide on Gruden by thinking about whether he will be there for another 3-5 years or not. If the answer is no, and I'd believe it to be, then you remove Gruden. If the answer is yes, then you keep him and build.

3) Get the head coach in place and evaluate your remaining staff. The Head Coach and GM decide who can stay and who goes. 

4) Rebuild the roster. Burn it down as much as you can. You probably will not find immediate upgrades for all the guys you move on from. Actually, you WILL downgrade. But that's just the way it is. Guys who could be on the chopping block (I'm not saying you necessarily move on from them, but it needs to be looked at): Ryan Kerrigan, Trent Williams, Josh Norman, Jordan Reed, Jamison Crowder, Chris Thompson, Mason Foster, Zach Brown, Morgan Moses. That's on top of other guys that were a negative voice in the locker room that we may not know about. Some of those guys might be kept, and for one or two I'd understand it. But all of them could be moved on from in my opinion.

5) Start your rebuild. The DL would be largely intact, so that's your position of strength to build off of. Shore up the OL next and continue to add quality DL pieces. Quarterback is the other priority. At RB I re-sign Adrian Peterson for his leadership ability and to take some load off of both him and the returning Guice. Bibbs/Marshall round out the RBs and you have a decent RB group for a year. Fill in players in other positions with the best fits you can find.

This. Having a agency come in and do that GM search is the best Idea I've seen. Take it completely out of Snyder's hands, as he has no idea what he is doing.

• Like 3

Vikings just fired John DeFilippo who was their offensive coordinator.  Eagles are hurting with the head coach calling the plays like Gruden does.  I predict DeFilippo will go back to the Eagles. So the Eagles will benefit from the Vikings firing situation unfortunately.  Meanwhile the Skins need to fire someone after this Sunday's game.  Where is Dougie Williams our vice president for ???  He is following orders and doing whatever Allen wants him to do.  I like having a recruiting agency come in and conduct the GM search.   They have several firms who have worked with NFL teams in the past.

20 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

What about all the other stuff..he has single handedly won us multiple games(ya know what I mean right?).. no way to Preston going..?.I'd rather see Kerrigan go to be honest with ya..

Owen-Wilson-WTF.gif.6b3f6ba1be7aac19a88e14ee8177ae28.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The thing I've seen with Preston Smith over the years is he's kind of lucked into a lot of stats. Someone else pressures the QB and the ball gets thrown into Smith's stomach.. A forced fumble bounces to him, he bends and picks it up. The are the kinds of things that get people saying he "won us a game" and things like that. It's not a criticism, he's not doing anything wrong, he's just happened into plays that make him seem like he's doing more than he is.

He's just always seemed like a guy who's much more suited to being a LDE in a 4-3. He's not good in space, but if he put 10 pounds on he'd be a good guy at the point of attack and could put up his 8 or so sacks a year, maybe slide to DT on 3rd and long. But for us he's just a guy who can't cover or pursue and has a game or two a year where he gets matched up with a T he can dominate and get 2-3 sacks (he doesn't seem to have had one this year). You can't count on him to keep getting lucky and accumulating stats. It's not really a skill.

So not a bad player, but he's not worth much money for us, imo.

• Like 1

In addition to firing Allen, getting  a real GM, and a new coaching staff, I'd like to add another idea. New updated logo and uniforms. I'm old enough to remember watching our last 2 Super Bowl wins, but after almost 3 decades of pure suck and embarrassment, the current logo and uniforms no longer represent a winning team to me. Now when I see our logo I think drama, suck, joke, embarrassing. Honestly, the only thing I want to stay the same is the team name. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2018 at 9:04 AM, 50yrSKINSfan said:

P Smith is a journeymen player, he is not a elite pass rusher. If he plays for a fair salary I would keep him, because he is always healthy, but if he wants big bucks he walks. We should be looking for a elite pass rusher with the high Draft choice we should get unless Jaybird decides to win some of the meaning less games we have left and turns a high draft choice into a mid first. Seems those meaning less games are the only ones he can win when a loss is better.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/need-know-its-science-preston-smith-one-nfls-top-pass-rushers

2 minutes ago, dyst said:

Our QB last year also had good stats. Preston does not pass the eye test at all.

Only for the blind...

Anyway, since we're gonna clean house, here is our new Team President:

french_maid_outfit_RU-888648__05275.1497

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is the team floating the “talented internal staff” garbage already?

We heard it when shanahan took over, and when Allen took over from shanahan. The talented internal staff that was not allowed to do what it wanted would stay in place. 

Results are the same. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, tshile said:

Is the team floating the “talented internal staff” garbage already?

We heard it when shanahan took over, and when Allen took over from shanahan. The talented internal staff that was not allowed to do what it wanted would stay in place. 

Results are the same. 

Dude this pisses me off so much. Totally agree. Although there may be some talent on this staff, I would rather a new GM decide that.