NickyJ

2018 Embrace [Insert QB name here] Thread

Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

The most uninspired QB pick I could have guessed at.

 

In a group of prospects that was consisting 100% of uninspiring options ;)

Let's face it, in the big picture, it really doesn't matter who we bring in as essentially our 4th string QB, or basically Camp Arm.

Not much is riding on the difference in choices.

Unless we just wanted to lead the league in "Josh's"

 

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

 

In a group of prospects that was consisting 100% of uninspiring options ;)

Let's face it, in the big picture, it really doesn't matter who we bring in as essentially our 4th string QB, or basically Camp Arm.

Not much is riding on the difference in choices.

Unless we just wanted to lead the league in "Josh's"

 

In the end, you're likely right, but I'd still rather pick someone off a practice squad and give him a chance to be a one in a thousand diamond in the rough, as opposed to picking someone who failed their 5 chances in 10 years. Silver lining, we do have another Josh like you mentioned.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

In the end, you're likely right, but I'd still rather pick someone off a practice squad and give him a chance to be a one in a thousand diamond in the rough, as opposed to picking someone who failed their 5 chances in 10 years. Silver lining, we do have another Josh like you mentioned.

 

I like the idea of grabbing someone else's PSer and giving him time to audition now for next year. But I don't think Jay does that until we're mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

 

I like the idea of grabbing someone else's PSer and giving him time to audition now for next year. But I don't think Jay does that until we're mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

We're not going to do it anyway, because we have no foresight as an organization. But if we were, we'd need to do it now. PS players don't have to sign with other teams. If you go to one with a week left and offer him a deal, he (and his agent) know he's not going to play and it's thus a meaningless gesture for them and they're likely not going to sign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Turn it over to Josh Johnson and let the potential of some razzle dazzle happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

We're not going to do it anyway, because we have no foresight as an organization. But if we were, we'd need to do it now. PS players don't have to sign with other teams. If you go to one with a week left and offer him a deal, he (and his agent) know he's not going to play and it's thus a meaningless gesture for them and they're likely not going to sign.

I disagree, they're players who are being paid basically pennies right now. The difference between P.S. And regular roster players is like 10x at least. Plus, with the injuries we've had, they probably know they've got a good opportunity to chime in and play. Heck, even if Josh or Mark look bad which is extremely likely, they may see time and then it's a shot for them on the 53 next year.

 

That said, I thought we'd at least bring in one of the other QBs we had this off-season. Like Stephen Morris. I get that we wanted to go the veteran route to try to salvage the season, but these guys leave nothing to the imagination. At least with a PS candidate there's the hope that he's the next Trent Green, Kurt Warner, Tony Romo. Now you're betting on old guys who haven't played in years and even if they're exceptional, it's likely only for those 3 or so games because they're old

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

- Colt: this was his second 'golden' opportunity' with the Redskins and ended the same way both times, I think he's the best paid backup QB. So I think his gone next year.
- Alex Smith: if the injury involve only bones, there shouldn't be a problem for him to come back. Once they're fix, bones heal and at 34 years old is not a problem... everybody was impressed because was an 'open' fracture, meaning, the bone went out of the skin, but that is not a problem either. If he didn't have nerve, vascular or ligament damage the only problem to overcome will be the muscular atrophy from resting the leg. 
 

- Teddy Bridgwater: best option in my opinion. His injury was bad, but what it matter was the ACL, that one was repaired, and he looked good in training camp with the Jets. He will sit behind Brees this year and te next... and you never know if Brees will like to play some more after that. Rumors say Payton will go from NO with Brees. With the Redskins, Teddy will have a REAL shot to be the starter right away. And for the Redskins, it would be a good, still young QB for a budget price.


You get a good franchise QB by 2 ways:

 

1. Free agency, paying a bunch of money... we already have that in Alex Smith

2. The draft, and here you have 2 options:

    a. A high draft pick.. meaning you record shows less than 3 wins
    b. Trading a bunch of picks to go up in the draft (the RGIII trade for example)

 

The 'money' route we did and we are stuck until the end of 2020, and even then we will carry some dead cap.

This next draft have no franchise QB and in the best case scenario (we lost the remaining games) we will pick around 11 or 12. Meaning we will have to get rid of a bunch of picks to go up to pick a so-so QB... and then we will be salary cap restrained and we will have no draft picks... I think this is a BAD approach. 

 

In 2020' draft, if the tank in 2019 we will be in good shape to pick our QB... if we have yet another mediocre season, we might need to trade picks to go up and get that QB... we will have the last year of Alex Smith with our new guy to get him ready for 2021

Conclusion: Sign Bridgewater to a 2 year back up contract (around the same as Colt)... if he blows us away and plays to his potential, we got ourselves a steal, if not he's gone with Smith... or stays as a back up of our new guy (mentoring because he will be on the system for 2 years)

 

But.... this is the real problem... 

Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 9.20.41 AM.png

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Josh Johnson? Hasnt played or been on a team in over 5 years ....makes no sense other than Bruce Allen drafted him.

 

Not that it really matters who is backing up Sanchez. With the O line injuries and the way our luck is going, Im 100% confident Sanchez gets injured at some point and JJ will play.

 

Wish him the best when live bullets start to fly.

 

I will say this. I wasnt a Kaep fan in that I dont think he is a Jay Gruden timing QB but I thought his biggest con was just being out of the league for a few years. Now .. we bring in a guy who has been out for 7 years?

 

I wouldnt be opposed to bringing Kaep in beginning of TC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Marco Chacon said:

 

 

But.... this is the real problem... 

Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 9.20.41 AM.png

 

Gross.  Sad state of affairs.

10 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

 

In a group of prospects that was consisting 100% of uninspiring options ;)

Let's face it, in the big picture, it really doesn't matter who we bring in as essentially our 4th string QB, or basically Camp Arm.

Not much is riding on the difference in choices.

Unless we just wanted to lead the league in "Josh's"

 

 

Exactly, it's just not worth all the hassle getting worked up over whoever they signed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time to get back to the horse we rode in on...

 

The Tampa Connection. And we thought they had moved on, to Alabama. Nope! JJ it is.

 

If we going to target QBs that haven't played in 5+ years, I would rather they go after Brad Johnson. Doug Willams can be the emergency backup.

 

I found it interesting on the day Jordan Reed was serving as the backup, Jay finally dialed up a trick play and let him throw a pass.

Edited by RandyHolt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I disagree, they're players who are being paid basically pennies right now. The difference between P.S. And regular roster players is like 10x at least. Plus, with the injuries we've had, they probably know they've got a good opportunity to chime in and play. Heck, even if Josh or Mark look bad which is extremely likely, they may see time and then it's a shot for them on the 53 next year.

 

That said, I thought we'd at least bring in one of the other QBs we had this off-season. Like Stephen Morris. I get that we wanted to go the veteran route to try to salvage the season, but these guys leave nothing to the imagination. At least with a PS candidate there's the hope that he's the next Trent Green, Kurt Warner, Tony Romo. Now you're betting on old guys who haven't played in years and even if they're exceptional, it's likely only for those 3 or so games because they're old

The first question there is whether 10K is worth leaving the team that's been working with you all season. The second would be why the retaining team wouldn't just match the extra 10K themselves to keep the player.

 

Obviously, considerations on which team would be more likely to make a roster spot for the player next year come into it. But you're talking about guys who have already been kept for a whole season as a team's 3rd QB. You're hoping next year that'll be on the active roster, but again, on a team that's kept you and been working with you all year. Versus going to a Redskin team where nobody knows who the GM or Coach will be next year, who have two injured vet QBs under contract and look likely to be adding at least one QB in the offseason, maybe a 1st round pick. Now, if the Redskins want to sign you with 4 weeks left in the season? Well, maybe they have some legit interest in you (plus it'll be an amount of extra $ that likely won't be matched). But they want to sign you before the last game, after being eliminated mathematically? That sounds like they're just trying to add a training camp body.   

 

And no QB is  being signed off a PS the final week of the season and getting playing time in that game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Josh Johnson? Hasnt played or been on a team in over 5 years ....makes no sense other than Bruce Allen drafted him.

He's well rested

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are getting crushed on espn for not picking up Colin kaepernik because we are racist. 

Edited by sportjunkie07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

We are getting crushed on espn for not picking up Colin kaepernik because we are racist. 

Right...because it has nothing to do with what Gruden said in that installing a whole new offense would not be possible at this time of the season...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

The first question there is whether 10K is worth leaving the team that's been working with you all season. The second would be why the retaining team wouldn't just match the extra 10K themselves to keep the player.

 

Its not 10k its up to 10 times the amount. 

 

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/9/1/17808772/nfl-practice-squad-2018-eligibility-pay-rules-changing-teams-what-to-know

Practice Squad Salary

Practice squad players earn paychecks on a weekly basis. They’re not getting the far bigger paychecks players on the 53-man roster receive. For the 2018 season, practice squad players can make no less than $7,600 per week, which equates to $129,200 for the season.

To protect players from leaving for other teams, or because they really like the potential of a given player, some teams pay their practice squad players more than the minimum. There is no limit to how much a team can pay a player on the practice squad and practice squad contracts do count against the salary cap.

 

They're currently making less than $150K a year with little to no stability in terms of staying power. You talk about just signing a minimum salary deal and its at least 5 times the amount they're getting right now. So basically they could double their salary just by being signed these last 4 games. 

 

And they're not really the 3rd QBs. They may be being developed or they may be let go. Look at profootballrumors.com and see how much practice squad players change teams, even QBs. 

 

But those two things aren't even the main things. I'd think that anybody with an ounce of pride in them would want to play and have the confidence that if they could get that one moment they'd use it to their advantage. So if the question is (1) sit on the PS and hope to get promoted "one day" to the active roster "in the right situation" or take an opportunity to be one snap away from playing, then I'd think that the alpha male in them would dance all the way to the contract and use this as their moment to shine. 

This is just what happens to a PS player: Its Brad Kaaya from last year. 

 

December 27, 2017: Indianapolis Colts activated QB Brad Kaaya from the practice squad.

October 25, 2017: Detroit Lions added QB Brad Kaaya to the practice squad.

October 24, 2017: Detroit Lions cut QB Brad Kaaya.

October 23, 2017: Detroit Lions waived QB Brad Kaaya.

October 18, 2017: Detroit Lions acquired QB Brad Kaaya off waivers from Carolina.

October 17, 2017: Carolina Panthers waived QB Brad Kaaya.

September 3, 2017: Carolina Panthers acquired QB Brad Kaaya off waivers from the Detroit Lions.

May 12, 2017: Detroit Lions signed QB Brad Kaaya to a four-year contract.

 

Notice he was on and off the practice squad and then promoted by Indy as they went through something similar to what we're going through. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sportjunkie07 said:

We are getting crushed on espn for not picking up Colin kaepernik because we are racist. 

 

It’s pathetic.

 

Tell you what, Mark Sanchez can give a heck of a press conference.  I’m actually kinda fired up after witnessing his charming, easy-going swagger.

 

DAMN YOU, SANCHEZ!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sportjunkie07 said:

We are getting crushed on espn for not picking up Colin kaepernik because we are racist. 

I this same ESPN???? or other more moral ESPN??

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sportjunkie07 said:

We are getting crushed on espn for not picking up Colin kaepernik because we are racist. 

 

I really don't care what ESPN is saying.  Ever.

 

Gruden outlined his reasons for not considering him.  They need to get over it.

 

I NEVER want to see Kap on the Redskins.  Ever.  That could actually be one of the two things it would take for me to find a new team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alex Smith will be our QB next year. I have no doubt in my mind about that as I have had the same injury. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's entertaining if nothing else.  Loved the way he called out the reporter who tried bringing up the butt fumble.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

He's entertaining if nothing else.  Loved the way he called out the reporter who tried bringing up the butt fumble.

 

 

 

When does that happen ?

Not sure if I can watch 16 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

 

When does that happen ?

Not sure if I can watch 16 minutes.

around 11 minutes in.   I mean I get its a famous thing but the guy is brand new here in a tough situation and trying to be upbeat and positive.  Pretty classless and idiotic question that has nothing to do with the current situation.

Edited by Reaper Skins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.