Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election fraud in North Carolina

No Excuses

1 minute ago, twa said:

Why would Eason do that?

Why would anyone?

I think that's a legitimate question, one of the first you've ever asked. Hopefully this incident can be used to educate a large number of people. It doesn't excuse illegal activity though, so in a sense it's still not particularly relevant. 

Is it terrible of me to think of an old childhod saying when thinking of all the Republican claims of voter fraud? I keep thinking, "he who smelt it dealt it."

Granted Republicans are at least equally deserving of credit for bringing this instance to light.

13 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

I think that's a legitimate question, one of the first you've ever asked. Hopefully this incident can be used to educate a large number of people. It doesn't excuse illegal activity though, so in a sense it's still not particularly relevant. 

if that is the way you treat legitimate questions it is no wonder you get so few of them. :pint:

On 12/2/2018 at 2:04 PM, Larry said:

Perhaps another topic worthy of discussion. 

How much information about voting ought to be public?

So, how much information about things like voter registration, who voted, where, party affiliation, should be public?

I got a "voting report card" in the mail that said I hadn't voted in 2012.

Bull****. I was wearing my 10 Elite jersey outside for almost 2 hours, got complimented, lots of football talk in the line...I won't forget that day until I have to unwillingly. My husband was with me, I have a witness. 

There is a serious problem with all of this, Larry. I'm running out of energy to make it right.

45 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I got a "voting report card" in the mail that said I hadn't voted in 2012.

Yeah, I got a "report card" from something like "Voter Information Center". Which I googled, and it's a nonprofit which is entirely funded by the Dem Party, for the purpose of encouraging the minority vote. 

Ive got a problem with government-mandated personal information just being handed out to telemarketers. (Which is what this is). 

OTOH, I think that, say, an NC paper or the NYT or the Leagoe of Women Voters getting a list of every person who requested an absentee ballot, and whether a ballot was cast for that person, absolutely ought to be public. 

Edit:

In fact, I think that when I vote, I ought to be given a piece of paper with a "ballot number" or some such on it. And after the election, I should be able to go online and see that ballot number 145206 was recorded as voting for A, C, and D. 

I think a list of all the ballots, and who they voted for, should be publicly downloadable. 

@Larry...

Did yours include your neighbors' votes? Mine did, the names & addresses were redacted...

Remember I live in a subdivision where about 30 people (total) speak English. I'm not exaggerating. Hank Johnson has a really hard time at our summer picnic, but he makes it every year. (He loves my mom's layered salad...I always bring 2 big pans)😁

1 hour ago, twa said:

Why would Eason do that?

Why would anyone?

Yeah, I'm not sure I'm buying this story. 

(But then, I have trouble with the concept of anybody picking up somebody else's ballot. And it looks like that's SOP, here). 

It occurs to me to wonder why anyone would think this was some unusual outlier. Maybe someone ought to consider taking even a cursory look at other districts. If this IS an outlier then if nothing else people might have a little confidence in the system, if not then it should come to light.

Where are all those passionately naive young journalist-wannabes that could be looking around and filing FOIA requests?

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Yeah, I'm not sure I'm buying this story. 

(But then, I have trouble with the concept of anybody picking up somebody else's ballot. And it looks like that's SOP, here). 

Maybe they thought they lived in Cali where it is legal and common? :ols:

I think it a bad practice even when legal.

On 12/2/2018 at 12:41 PM, Fresh8686 said:

There has been way too much unchecked white collar crime in this country and that criminality has been especially escalating in the arena of politics. Hopefully, the response to this surge (legislation/enforcement structures and task forces), once (or if) the criminal elements get rooted out, will make our country stronger.

Been headed this way since the passage of CU. It's also destroyed any compromise between the two parties and directly led to criminal behavior due to the money involved.

"I'm not paying $50million for a compromise or to lose. I'm paying $50mil to win by any means necessary. that's it."

There is nothing to be gained by playing by the rules or conducting your political career in good faith anymore 

Did part of the North Carolina scheme involve, as a first step, operatives ordering absentee ballots on behalf of voters? 

Because some of the people affected that I saw interviewed seemed very blase about voting.  One couldn't even remember who he voted for. They didn't seem motivated enough to request absentee ballots in the first place.

34 minutes ago, JCB said:

Anybody catch that scumbag Dallas Woodhouse trying to pretend like he cared about votes on his cable news desperation tour last night?

POS, worthless anti-American just like his whole party.

It was painful to watch but it's pretty much exactly who he is. He looked terrible and only made things worse for himself if that's possible.  

There's lots of ways ballot boxes can be stuffed with absentee ballots. 

AFAIK, the parties have access to almost all voting information. 

How hard would it be for the GOP (If going to use them as an icon, here, since they have been caught at it this once). To find 1,000 registered Republicans who haven't voted in 10 years, and just vote for him?  

Or i remember some talk show guest talking about a hypothetical, a decade or so ago. 

Say a year before the election, I send in a voter registration card for twa. (Cause I'm pretty sure I know which way he's going to vote). The new card is identical to the old one. (I have access to the database, after all). Only thing different on it is that I signed his name. 

Election comes around. Twa votes. And I challenge his vote. And what do you know, the signature on his ballot doesn't match!  His ballot gets thrown out. And in most places, he doesn't even know it. 

Thats why why I think it's really necessary for many voting things to be public. So that the voters, and watchdogs, can check them. 

North Carolina Republican in contentious race owes nearly $35K for absentee ballot work

The campaign of a North Carolina Republican candidate locked in a contentious election battle owes more than $34,000 in connection with absentee ballot and voter turnout operations, according to new filings. 

Mark Harris’s campaign disclosed in a filing with the Federal Election Commission late Thursday night that it owes $34,310 for “reimbursement payment for Bladen absentee, early voting poll workers; reimbursement door to door.” 

The money is owed to Red Dome Group, a Charlotte-area consulting firm that Harris hired for his election bid in North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District against Democrat Dan McCready.

Red Dome contracted with a Bladen County political operative Leslie McCrae Dowless Jr., who has been accused of collecting absentee ballots. The filing with the FEC does not detail how the consulting firm spent the money or how much it paid Dowless.

Click on the link for the full article

I'm stunned that anybody would ever do any work for a political campaign on any terms other than "cash in advance". 

I mean, you're dealing with a corporation which is expecting to cease to exist the day after the election. 

(Unless what you're doing is actually a campaign donation, and you're just calling it a debt so you can try to write it off.)

Archived