Ron78

Audi Field to Host Washington DC Defenders XFL Team in 2020

What Will You Do To Support the XFL Franchise in DC?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What Will You Do To Support the XFL Franchise in DC?

• Attend games at Audi Field
    • Watch games at home or in sports bars
    • I will not support this team

Posted (edited)

imagine if the XFL said **** it and played anyways in empty stadiums....it would be the only sport on tv for the next few weeks. viewership would be through the roof

Edited by Barry.Randolphe
  • Like 1

Dang, non NFL football leagues just can't catch a break.  Well I guess its all up to whether McMahon wants to try again next year.   Ratings and attendance weren't looking too bad. 

Interesting.  Hopefully it's just lay offs in preparation that the pandemic goes on for a longer time period than anticipated.  Article says that XFL employees will be paid through Sunday (April 12th), which makes sense as the playoffs were scheduled to start April 18th (and 19th) with the championship game on April 26th.  

So every employee got paid through the regular season.  Makes sense to go ahead and lay them off until the league starts up again sometime in the future.  Plus I read an article a while back that they knew it might take some time to catch on and become successful and I want to say that Vince was looking at a 5 year window to make it work.  

Plus Vince is putting up his money in this, no partners this time around.  I think there will be a season 2 next year, if it's doable.  

• Like 1

If you choose to believe ESPN, the league is folded and won't resume in 2021.

It's well documented I have a serious problem with going to games. It's well documented I went to all 3 DC Defenders games as well as most of the Redskins games, Nationals, Capitals, etc.

DC Defenders games were always a big thrill to attend. The family atmosphere outside the stadium was great, you were able to make your own shields and bring them into the stadium. The tailgating scene wasn't as good as FedEx but still you had your spots. I'll never forget the first DC Defenders game. Walk into Walter's, just want something to eat. Place was packed as hell. 3 hours prior to the game. Riding the metro, see all these football fans. Different jerseys for each person, from a different team. Patriots. Ravens. Eagles, Cowboys.

These people, a disparate mish mash of NFL fans, all united, on that day. For DC. For this city. And it was a great sight. Damn it, he's wearing an Elliot jersey. But he is a Defenders fan. So he is a-okay. For today.

The atmosphere in the park, from the people's section, was always a blast. **** went on which would never go on in a NFL stadium. You saw the crowd of people wearing meme masks, one guy with the bud light seltzer helmet, another guy starting a beer snake with the "Beer snake starts here" sign...you paid 15 dollars and you stood right next to the field. You would never see that in any professional NFL stadium. Those seats cost hundreds of dollars. Here, they cost 15.

The XFL was affordable, innovative, and took DC by storm from Feburary to March. It is a damn shame it was not allowed to last longer than it should have. Because let's not mince any words here, DC loved the Defenders and the Defenders loved DC and the atmosphere at Audi Field today.

This is truly a sad day.

• Like 3

Yeah, it's done. Vince will probably struggle to get the WWE to survive this thing probably best to just focus on that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

If you choose to believe ESPN, the league is folded and won't resume in 2021.

It's well documented I have a serious problem with going to games. It's well documented I went to all 3 DC Defenders games as well as most of the Redskins games, Nationals, Capitals, etc.

DC Defenders games were always a big thrill to attend. The family atmosphere outside the stadium was great, you were able to make your own shields and bring them into the stadium. The tailgating scene wasn't as good as FedEx but still you had your spots. I'll never forget the first DC Defenders game. Walk into Walter's, just want something to eat. Place was packed as hell. 3 hours prior to the game. Riding the metro, see all these football fans. Different jerseys for each person, from a different team. Patriots. Ravens. Eagles, Cowboys.

These people, a disparate mish mash of NFL fans, all united, on that day. For DC. For this city. And it was a great sight. Damn it, he's wearing an Elliot jersey. But he is a Defenders fan. So he is a-okay. For today.

The atmosphere in the park, from the people's section, was always a blast. **** went on which would never go on in a NFL stadium. You saw the crowd of people wearing meme masks, one guy with the bud light seltzer helmet, another guy starting a beer snake with the "Beer snake starts here" sign...you paid 15 dollars and you stood right next to the field. You would never see that in any professional NFL stadium. Those seats cost hundreds of dollars. Here, they cost 15.

The XFL was affordable, innovative, and took DC by storm from Feburary to March. It is a damn shame it was not allowed to last longer than it should have. Because let's not mince any words here, DC loved the Defenders and the Defenders loved DC and the atmosphere at Audi Field today.

This is truly a sad day.

Chin up there, sport. Guess who's still around to turn that frown upside down...

4ce5506eccd1d5b824050000?width=600&forma

• Haha 2
  • Sad 3

The "laid off all employees" is concerning.  You'd think if McMahon wanted to start again in 2021, he'd at least keep a core group around.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Chin up there, sport. Guess who's still around to turn that frown upside down...

i'll be back

at FedEx whenever NFL comes back

XFL is over and it's not coming back.  If there is to some minor spring football league in the future; it will be a spinoff of the NFL, like the old World League. 

Defenders merchandise may become a collectible with some value, if the team never returns 

The XFL is officially dead, buried, and now vaporized. I wonder what will happen to those beer snakes?

4 hours ago, NickyJ said:

The XFL is officially dead, buried, and now vaporized. I wonder what will happen to those beer snakes?

I wanted to be a part of beer snake :(

11 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Why? 

Because it's not going to work for the third time, but hey it's his money if he wants to blow it I guess it's his business. 

• Like 1

Wasn’t XFL doing pretty good before the pandemic? I thought it was entertaining... not sure why he is burning bridges with the football 🏈 people though..,

28 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Wasn’t XFL doing pretty good before the pandemic? I thought it was entertaining... not sure why he is burning bridges with the football 🏈 people though..,

after week 1, ratings were drastically down. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

after week 1, ratings were drastically down. 

as is typical for many TV shows, but they were still better than the drop the UFA?? saw..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/18/xfl-ratings-dip-on-abc-in-week-two/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/what-does-the-xf-ls-week-2-tv-ratings-dip-mean-for-the-league-220958226.html

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

I really thought people here in DC were about to buy in, though. That atmosphere on TV looked great!

The beer snake bit seems almost UNFATHOMABLE now. 

• Thanks 1